Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Clippers Forum

Los Angeles Clippers Forum Clippers message board - clippers fan forum

Old 03-04-2009, 02:07 PM   #1
qrich
King Heno

qrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Official 2009 NBA Draft Thread(Clippers Take Griffin)

We currently have the third worst record in the entire league, with the Wizards being a half game worse and the Raptors being nearly 8 games better. So its safe to say we won't be making the playoffs(no crap, right?) and why not discuss the 2009 NBA Draft, even if its prematurely.

Here is our roster situation going into the 2009 NBA Draft.

CE: Marcus Camby(7.65), Chris Kaman(10.4), DeAndre Jordan(.736)
PF: Zach Randolph(16.0),
SF: Al Thornton(1.9), Ricky Davis(2.48)
SG: Eric Gordon(2.82), Mardy Collins(1.8)
PG: Baron Davis(12.15), Mike Taylor(.736)
Unrestricted Free Agents: Brian Skinner, Fred Jones, Ricky Davis(Player Option)
Restricted Free Agents: Alex Acker, Steve Novak

One would assume that Novak will be back and Davis is going to pick up his option, but that still doesn't change the fact SF is our weakest position with the inconsistent play of Al Thornton, who has recently turned into a ballhog.

Top 10 Prospects:
Blake Griffin - PF out of Oklahoma.
Greg Monroe - PF out of Georgetown.
Ricky Rubio - PG from Spain.
Brandon Jennings - PG from Roma.
Earl Clark - SF from Louisville.
Hasheem Thabeet - CE from UConn.
Al-Farouq Aminu - F from Wake Forest.
Jeff Teague - G from Wake Forest.
Gerald Henderson - SG from Duke.
Jordan Hill - PF from Arizona.

Looking at that, most of the top prospects are either guards or big men, two positions which we have filled. So, who do we take?

My pick as of now is Earl Clark. Prototypical SF for Dunleavy's system.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
dab0yech0
3 Ball like Piatkowski

dab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Thread

I actually really like Clark's teammate Terrence Williams. Only thing is that I am scared hes gonna turn into Ricky Davis in the NBA.
dab0yech0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:58 PM   #3
qrich
King Heno

qrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dab0yech0
I actually really like Clark's teammate Terrence Williams. Only thing is that I am scared hes gonna turn into Ricky Davis in the NBA.

As do I.

Hypothetical. If we end up with the first pick, Thunder get the 5th, I'd do #1 + Thornton + Sofo Rights for Jeff Green + #5, + the later first Thunder have + 2010 Suns first.

Take Clark and Williams, and we have our DC set for next season

CE:Camby | Kaman | Jordan
PF:Randolph | Novak* | Free Agent
SF:Green | Clark | Collins
SG:Gordon | Williams | Fred
PGavis | Taylor | Free Agent
*Have Novak put on 20-25 lbs and he'll be the perfect pick and pop guy at PF in my opinion.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:44 PM   #4
Al Thornton
the mind is so complex

Al Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Joking right? You would seriously take Jeff Green over Al? Sure he's got his problems but he is 10X better than Green and has much more potential. The only thing I can think of is trading Camby or Kaman.
Al Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:47 PM   #5
Al Thornton
the mind is so complex

Al Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

And also why are you so in love with Mike Dunleavy? He has a ****ty sytem that would never work with our core group, so you don't think he should step down as coach?
Old 03-06-2009, 02:18 AM   #6
qrich
King Heno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Thornton
Joking right? You would seriously take Jeff Green over Al? Sure he's got his problems but he is 10X better than Green and has much more potential. The only thing I can think of is trading Camby or Kaman.

Why would I be joking? Jeff is younger, and is averaging superior #'s throughout the board, except getting .4 less blocks:

Quote:
And also why are you so in love with Mike Dunleavy? He has a ****ty sytem that would never work with our core group, so you don't think he should step down as coach?

Zach Randolph, Marcus Camby and Eric Gordon are the three main core guys besides Baron, and they are all perfect fits for Dunleavy's system. Only Al and Baron from the starting unit don't go in Dunleavy's systems. Baron, doesn't fit in ANY system that doesn't give him the green light to do as he wishes and Al is just inconsistent and a sissy, afraid of contact.

Plus, like I've noted a million times, Dunleavy makes near 7 mil a year. You think Sterling is going to pay him his money, but pay another coach and a GM around 3 mil each? Essentially, paying $13 mil for a coach and GM? No way in hell.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:35 AM   #7
dab0yech0
3 Ball like Piatkowski

dab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

Like it or not, no way Sterling will axe him. Like qrich said Dunleavy is paid way too much to be axed
Old 03-06-2009, 04:32 AM   #8
starface
Banned

starface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation here

I dont watch much college bball so i'm not very familiar with the prospects other than highlights seen on sportscenter, but im a big proponent of drafting based on value rather than position need, with some limited exceptions.

The obvious hole on this team is SF - which i think is a shame because Al has the ability to be a really useful player. He has the tools to be a very good defender, he can finish at the rim well in transition, and at times he can create off the dribble. He might not have the entire package to be a Superstar, but if he played the right way he could be a very effective starter. Unfortunately at this point he's a liability on many nights rather than an asset. You can't help but wonder what he might learn if we had a different coach but unfortunately that point seems to be moot.

But with that being said, I still say go for value. Even if its a powerforward and you figure, there's not much room for him, if he's the best player on the board then take him and develop him off the bench, or trade him for an appropriate amount of value. Don't pass him over just because he wont start at PF right away. Think about Paul Millsap. He's been a terrific player off the bench for the Jazz, and has been so good that they dont have to be held ransom by Carlos Boozer's contract demands because they have Millsap coming up right behind him. So competition is never a bad thing. And it never hurts to have depth.

Personally i HOPE we end up with a stud PF. Our depth at that spot is terrible right now. What we really need is one of those strong, athletic PF's who beasts in the paint. Millsap, Maxielle, Bass, or on a larger scale, Stoudamire. None of our guys are really like that. Zach is a highly skilled post player, but he's not a guy who brings athleticism to the paint. Same thing with Camby and Kaman, and they're more in the Center mold anyway. We could really use one of those young, athletic beasts in the paint. The type that always seem to kill us when we play them. If the best player on the board when we draft is a guy like that, i think we have to take him, even if SF would seem to be the easiest position at which to fill in with someone new.

Last edited by starface : 03-06-2009 at 04:34 AM.
starface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:10 AM   #9
dab0yech0
3 Ball like Piatkowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by starface
I dont watch much college bball so i'm not very familiar with the prospects other than highlights seen on sportscenter, but im a big proponent of drafting based on value rather than position need, with some limited exceptions.

The obvious hole on this team is SF - which i think is a shame because Al has the ability to be a really useful player. He has the tools to be a very good defender, he can finish at the rim well in transition, and at times he can create off the dribble. He might not have the entire package to be a Superstar, but if he played the right way he could be a very effective starter. Unfortunately at this point he's a liability on many nights rather than an asset. You can't help but wonder what he might learn if we had a different coach but unfortunately that point seems to be moot.

But with that being said, I still say go for value. Even if its a powerforward and you figure, there's not much room for him, if he's the best player on the board then take him and develop him off the bench, or trade him for an appropriate amount of value. Don't pass him over just because he wont start at PF right away. Think about Paul Millsap. He's been a terrific player off the bench for the Jazz, and has been so good that they dont have to be held ransom by Carlos Boozer's contract demands because they have Millsap coming up right behind him. So competition is never a bad thing. And it never hurts to have depth.

Personally i HOPE we end up with a stud PF. Our depth at that spot is terrible right now. What we really need is one of those strong, athletic PF's who beasts in the paint. Millsap, Maxielle, Bass, or on a larger scale, Stoudamire. None of our guys are really like that. Zach is a highly skilled post player, but he's not a guy who brings athleticism to the paint. Same thing with Camby and Kaman, and they're more in the Center mold anyway. We could really use one of those young, athletic beasts in the paint. The type that always seem to kill us when we play them. If the best player on the board when we draft is a guy like that, i think we have to take him, even if SF would seem to be the easiest position at which to fill in with someone new.

The only for sure player that will excel in the NBA to me right now is Blake Griffin. Greg Monroe is good because he can run the floor but I'm still iffy on him. Jordan Hill plays with energy but is a Chris Wilcox clone to me. If we can't get Griffin, maybe Monroe if he shows more in individual workouts. But like you said Starface, its great to bring in competition and that is what Al Thornton does not have right now. Im sure if we bring in Terrence Williams, Earl Clark, or Aminu, Al would surely have a tougher time in practice than guarding Mardy Collins or Ricky Davis. If it was up to me, take Griffin or Monroe, if both are gone, then trade down to draft Clark, Aminu, or T. Williams.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:17 PM   #10
Al Thornton
the mind is so complex

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrich
Why would I be joking? Jeff is younger, and is averaging superior #'s throughout the board, except getting .4 less blocks:

Zach Randolph, Marcus Camby and Eric Gordon are the three main core guys besides Baron, and they are all perfect fits for Dunleavy's system. Only Al and Baron from the starting unit don't go in Dunleavy's systems. Baron, doesn't fit in ANY system that doesn't give him the green light to do as he wishes and Al is just inconsistent and a sissy, afraid of contact.

Plus, like I've noted a million times, Dunleavy makes near 7 mil a year. You think Sterling is going to pay him his money, but pay another coach and a GM around 3 mil each? Essentially, paying $13 mil for a coach and GM? No way in hell.

The stats don't really say much. Al is the 4th option on his team and is inconsistent, Jeff is the #2 guy and is playing almost the same as Al. Also he is a PF not a SF I don't see why we would need him.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:20 AM   #11
xtn5021
Serious playground baller

xtn5021 has an OK reputation so far

I'm praying to jesus that we get Blake Griffin.
xtn5021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:58 AM   #12
dab0yech0
3 Ball like Piatkowski

Quote:
The stats don't really say much. Al is the 4th option on his team and is inconsistent, Jeff is the #2 guy and is playing almost the same as Al. Also he is a PF not a SF I don't see why we would need him.

Because you Mr. Al Thornton sir have a tendency to jack up jumpers even if Matt Bonner or Wally Szcerbiak is guarding you, either attack the basket or we Clipper fans will keep on coming up with ideas to rid you!
Old 05-20-2009, 02:45 AM   #13
qrich
King Heno

Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Thread(Clippers with #1)

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...,5679790.story

Quote:
"Clearly, we're taking Blake Griffin," Clippers General Manager and Coach Mike Dunleavy said in a telephone interview from Barcelona, Spain.

"This guy is the No. 1 pick. We're extremely excited. He's the guy."
Old 05-20-2009, 02:51 AM   #14
oh the horror
7-time NBA All-Star

oh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I think they're making the obvious good choice. I think Blake has the tools to contribute right now, and they need it badly in Clipperland.
oh the horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:01 AM   #15
dab0yech0
3 Ball like Piatkowski

Nice, Dunleavy better take Griffin as he says or there are gonna be some angry Clipper fans !!!
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: