Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 03-11-2009, 09:47 AM   #1
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er

Default Resident Evil 5

I have mine reserved and will be picking it up on Friday. It got a 9.0 at IGN and so far metacritic has it at 87. Most reviews say it's a departure from the original survival horror.....it's more action oriented. I like the fact that it's co-op. Really looking forward to it. So who else is getting it?

Last edited by glidedrxlr22 : 03-11-2009 at 12:03 PM.
glidedrxlr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:22 AM   #2
Mathius
NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Resident Evil 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by glidedrxlr22
I have mine reserved and will be picking it up on Friday. It got a 9.0 at IGN and so far metacritic has it it at 87. Most reviews say it's a departure from the original survival horror.....it's more action oriented. I like the fact that it's co-op. Really looking forward to it. So who else is getting it?

Well duh, RE4 was the most successful, I would think they'd model it closer to that than the old puzzle style RE2 type.

The game better be good, they've been hyping it for a year now.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:21 AM   #3
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Mines on preorder too. I can't wait myself, but I'm still cautious. It took me a while to get into RE4. I like the atmospheric elements in the older ones. And the original house map remains one of my favorite video game elements.

Anybody else get the special edition? I don't even know what's in it, but I spent an extra thirty to forty bucks on it anyway. Whatever.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:34 AM   #4
Mathius
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
Mines on preorder too. I can't wait myself, but I'm still cautious. It took me a while to get into RE4. I like the atmospheric elements in the older ones. And the original house map remains one of my favorite video game elements.

There's no question the originals were good, but the combat was totally ammo based and very slow, ESPECIALLY if you got hurt.

Mathius
Old 03-11-2009, 11:49 AM   #5
KeylessEntry
I'm on the moon

an action game where you have to be standing still to shoot/reload? thats a little strange. I thought the Demo was okay, but not really amazing. I will probably pick this game up but not until I can get it at a discounted used price.
KeylessEntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:00 PM   #6
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
There's no question the originals were good, but the combat was totally ammo based and very slow, ESPECIALLY if you got hurt.

Mathius

I think those originals took people out of their comfort zones.....meaning that in the usual videogame it was just "shoot" and don't worry about your resources. Now all of a sudden you had to avoid enemies at times or cringe when it would take 4 or 5 precious shots to take a zombie down. The scary factor definitely was a treat. I can put up with RE4 and RE5 being what they are, but let's hope the next one gets a little back to its roots.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:03 PM   #7
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
Anybody else get the special edition? I don't even know what's in it, but I spent an extra thirty to forty bucks on it anyway. Whatever.

The Resident Evil 5 Collector's Edition comes with:

* Chris Redfield Figurine
* Tricell Messenger Bag
* BSAA Patch
* Kijuju Keychain
* Bonus Disc including a making-of featurette, a digital art gallery and a trailer for Resident Evil Degeneration
* The game and bonus disc come packed in a Special Collector's SteelBook Case.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:41 PM   #8
TakitoEspanoza
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius

Mathius

Thats what made them so good... you have to run at spots to save your ammo, you know, survive?

This isnt survival horror anymore, which is sad.
TakitoEspanoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:42 PM   #9
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

That's worth the extra money to me.

The hording of ammunition was a big element for me in the earlier games. Finding the most efficient way to traverse a patch of enemies or a single enemy was huge. It added replay value for me.
Even the second one became too linear for me at times. There was more of sense of there being two ways to go, one with a locked gate at the end, the other with a key. I actually felt the fourth one got back to a more complete map with multiple ways to get to the same location. But nothing has ever opened up quite like the original house.
The static background and cinematic cameras that defined the early ones I know bother some people, but I think they added to the atmosphere. And I still feel like the not being able to move and shoot adds an element of panic that's more about tone than gameplay.

I really love these games. There saves and GTAs are pretty much all I transferred from my original PS2 memory card.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:11 PM   #10
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeylessEntry
an action game where you have to be standing still to shoot/reload? thats a little strange. I thought the Demo was okay, but not really amazing. I will probably pick this game up but not until I can get it at a discounted used price.

Yeah that's what I though too. The protagonists are trained army / mercenary types right? Why can't they walk left and shoot at the same time?
gasolina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:26 PM   #11
Mathius
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakitoEspanoza
Thats what made them so good... you have to run at spots to save your ammo, you know, survive?

This isnt survival horror anymore, which is sad.

No, it's better. I don't have to worry about getting to the end of the game and then having to start the whole damn thing over because I saved in the wrong spot and there's no ammo to beat the last enemy.

Talk about a load of crap that was.

The whole point of those early games was the immense puzzles where you had to figure out how some random object unlocked a hidden door to locate another hidden item that had a piece of paper with a word on it that was the password to the place that got you through the door... whatever... the combat was extra. And it was poorly done.

The camera angles themselves in RE2 were horrendous in places. And do you remember the controls? They were backwards. Onimusha style. Goofy foot, like I'm playing Skate or Die.

Mathius

Last edited by Mathius : 03-11-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:39 AM   #12
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er

Who's getting theirs at midnight. I'm getting mine tomorrow after work. Too bad I have to get up at 4:45am on Saturday to work!
Old 03-12-2009, 04:24 PM   #13
kentatm
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by glidedrxlr22
Most reviews say it's a departure from the original survival horror.....it's more action oriented.

did they not play RE4 or something? I keep seeing this in reviews as if this is a new thing to the series. I never really had to worry about running out of ammo in RE4 b/c killing somebody would usually have them drop some ammo for me.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:31 PM   #14
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

Can anyone confirm if you could move and shoot at the same time. I'd really like to know before I buy it.
gasolina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:54 PM   #15
AJ2k8
Banned

Can't move and shoot but was the same in RE4 I'm pretty sure. Still a very good game, i question the longevity of the game with no online play but IGN's review has said there is a lot of upgrades etc. so i'll see about that eventually.

Overall if you liked 4 get 5 and if you've got a mate to play co-op with get it aswell because it has a great co-op system.
AJ2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: