Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 03-14-2009, 10:44 PM   #1
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Default (Blank) really surprised me this year and (blank) really dissapointed me

Surprised Me: Kansas. It's crazy that they could lose almost the whole team from last year's title run and still dominate the Big 12. Didn't expect them to be higher than 7th in the conference coming into the year (had Oklahoma, Missouri, Texas, Texas A&M, OK State, Baylor all better beginning of the year).

Honorable Mention: LSU

Dissapointed Me: Miami. Finished 8th in the conference when they should have been no lower than 6th and could have been as high as 3rd. 2-6 on the road in conference play just doesn't get it done. Just completely flopped in the ACC Tourney.

Honorable Mention: Notre Dame
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 03:20 AM   #2
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Default Re: (Blank) really surprised me this year and (blank) really dissapointed me

Surprise: Maryland - I think we were picked to finish 11th in the ACC. Earlier in the year, it looked like we could even have trouble making the NIT, but now we should be in the NCAA tournament. We don't have much size nor much depth and yet we managed to knock off some top teams.

Disappointment: Georgetown - They looked like a top 10 team earlier in the season, but they barely finished above .500. They went from 12-3 over the first half of the season to 4-11 the last half of the season.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:08 AM   #3
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

Default Re: (Blank) really surprised me this year and (blank) really dissapointed me

Surprised: Missouri. Come on they are missouri, when was the last time they had a decent bball team.

Disappointment: Baylor, by far. Predicted to be 3rd in the big 12 and was a preseason top 25 ranked team and then finished 9th in the big 12 and wont even be making the tournament. What a waste of talent. I like seeing them fail though. F*ck Baylor.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:12 AM   #4
UConnCeltics
Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles

Suprise:Wake Forest They came in ranked like 25 or something, and climbed up to the number 1 spot. Never thought they were top 10 quality.

Disappointed:Georgetown They had one of the best freshmen, a good group of returning players and came into the season ranked 18th. They then went on to beat UConn at UConn, and climbed as high as 6th in the country I believe.

Honorable Mention:Tennessee
UConnCeltics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:44 AM   #5
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Disappointed: I really liked Tyler Smith. He and Tennessee just couldn't get in a groove this year. There's always the tournament though.

Surprised: Big 10. Come on, the hate feels good. lol
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:58 AM   #6
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
Surprised: Big 10. Come on, the hate feels good. lol

Yeah, **** Digger Phelps.

Back to the topic:

Surprised: Louisville- I thought they'd be a middle of the pack type of team but they're really, really good..

Disappointed: Davidson- I really thought Stephen would be College Player of the Year.

As far as players:

Surprised: Hasheem Thabeet - He went from the next Samuel Dalembert to the next Mutumbo for me. I'm a big fan.

Disappointed: Tyler Hansbrough - I just thought he'd follow up last season with an even greater season or on par. Don't get me wrong, he had a solid season, but I just expected more.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:16 AM   #7
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

I remember the Phelps rant. I was thinking "When is he just going to come out and say 'The Big 10 sucks. They should get 3 teams in and they probably won't win one combined game in the NCAA tournament.'" lol
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:27 AM   #8
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three
Disappointed: Davidson- I really thought Stephen would be College Player of the Year.
The only thing I find dissapointing about Davidson is that they didn't win their conference tournament. They were overrated coming into the season because of Curry's play last year. I don't think there's any way you lose the leading assist man in the country and expect to get better. They still had a great year (26-7, 18-2). One of those losses came when Curry was out vs. The Citadel, which I doubt would have happened if he played.

Lost by 4 @ Oklahoma
Won by 3 @ WVU
Lost by 18 @ Purdue
Lost by 12 @ Duke

I don't know if anyone realistically expected them to win on the road vs Oklahoma, Purdue, or Duke. Maybe keep the Purdue game closer, but that's it.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:19 PM   #9
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
I remember the Phelps rant. I was thinking "When is he just going to come out and say 'The Big 10 sucks. They should get 3 teams in and they probably won't win one combined game in the NCAA tournament.'" lol

Yeah you'd think the conference wronged him in some way though all the scoffing and sighing whenever the Big 10 is discussed. He ranted about how overrated MSU was cause they lost to a team like Northwestern and then praised how FSU beat UNC. Hellllooo, Northwestern beat FSU too, you old assface.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:22 PM   #10
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
The only thing I find dissapointing about Davidson is that they didn't win their conference tournament. They were overrated coming into the season because of Curry's play last year. I don't think there's any way you lose the leading assist man in the country and expect to get better. They still had a great year (26-7, 18-2). One of those losses came when Curry was out vs. The Citadel, which I doubt would have happened if he played.

Lost by 4 @ Oklahoma
Won by 3 @ WVU
Lost by 18 @ Purdue
Lost by 12 @ Duke

I don't know if anyone realistically expected them to win on the road vs Oklahoma, Purdue, or Duke. Maybe keep the Purdue game closer, but that's it.

This is true, but like you said I'm upset they didn't win their conference tournament. They lost to a Charleston team that got blown out in the conference championship. I can't help but be very disappointed.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:32 AM   #11
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
Surprised Me: Kansas. It's crazy that they could lose almost the whole team from last year's title run and still dominate the Big 12.
If anyone else besides them in that conference played a shred of defense, I don't think Kansas dominates anything. I don't think they're better than 4th place in the Big East, ACC or Big Ten.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: