Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-20-2009, 03:27 PM   #1
picc84
3-time NBA All-Star

Default I don't even see the value in having a daughter anymore

I'm sorry. Maybe a few decades ago when women actually had values and respect for themselves, but in this day and age the negatives of having a daughter to raise just seems to FAR outweigh any possible value.

For one, you already know she won't be passing on your name to the next generation. But beyond that, all of the cyber-world and picture "sexting" and sexual predators with 100 venues through which to access her, the propensity of modern girls to be whores who are far more interested in how many guys are fawning over their slutty myspace profiles and who is more popular with the boys, than they are in what their parents have to teach them.

I just imagine having an adolescent daughter and constantly having to worry about her safety, her friends, the morals she's picking up from them and/or at school, and it just seems to be too much stress.

As a guy, I love seeing threads on here with girls striking sexy poses in their underwear in pics posted to the internet, but how would that make me feel as a father? It would sicken me to my stomach. I work with a woman who has two daughters, and one of them has a myspace account that she told her mom about, and her mom checks in on it every now and then to see if everything is appropriate. Well, turns out that was just the account she wanted her to see, and apparently the girl has another account, the REAL one, where she does all her little slutty business and talks dirty with guys.

I'm sorry, I just can't go through with it. I don't want to go to one of those create-your-own-baby places but in this modern world and the way adolescent girls are growing up to be, I am going to pray for a son with all my might and hope as hard as I can I get one.
picc84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
blasian
The Afrocentric Asian

Default Re: I don't even see the value in having a daughter anymore

The women bashing has been excessive lately...

To all the females who are reading this, blasian appreciates you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjeGJAVEryU

Edit: Read your post, some strong points made, but I still disagree. I'll go into it later
blasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:31 PM   #3
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Talk to ALBballer, he'll give you a fair offer.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:32 PM   #4
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by picc84
I'm sorry. Maybe a few decades ago when women actually had values and respect for themselves, but in this day and age the negatives of having a daughter to raise just seems to FAR outweigh any possible value.

For one, you already know she won't be passing on your name to the next generation. But beyond that, all of the cyber-world and picture "sexting" and sexual predators with 100 venues through which to access her, the propensity of modern girls to be whores who are far more interested in how many guys are fawning over their slutty myspace profiles and who is more popular with the boys, than they are in what their parents have to teach them.

I just imagine having an adolescent daughter and constantly having to worry about her safety, her friends, the morals she's picking up from them and/or at school, and it just seems to be too much stress.

As a guy, I love seeing threads on here with girls striking sexy poses in their underwear in pics posted to the internet, but how would that make me feel as a father? It would sicken me to my stomach. I work with a woman who has two daughters, and one of them has a myspace account that she told her mom about, and her mom checks in on it every now and then to see if everything is appropriate. Well, turns out that was just the account she wanted her to see, and apparently the girl has another account, the REAL one, where she does all her little slutty business and talks dirty with guys.

I'm sorry, I just can't go through with it. I don't want to go to one of those create-your-own-baby places but in this modern world and the way adolescent girls are growing up to be, I am going to pray for a son with all my might and hope as hard as I can I get one.
I'm pretty sure girls have ALWAYS been this slutty it's just there was no myspace or pic messages to show so they denied it... but now it's more public.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:34 PM   #5
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
Talk to ALBballer, he'll give you a fair offer.

But I agree with this thread. If I ever have a girl, I want my motherf*cking receipt!
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:35 PM   #6
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Retrograde patriarchal thinking is strong in this thread.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:37 PM   #7
blasian
The Afrocentric Asian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
Retrograde patriarchal thinking is strong on ish.

fixed

I'm gonna need to make a bell hooks appreciation thread
blasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:39 PM   #8
picc84
3-time NBA All-Star

I'm not bashing women. They're free to be as sexually liberated as they want, and its their right to do so. But for me, as a potential father, I in no way would be able to hold such an impartial opinion toward my own daughter and would place her on a pedestal. The stress from worrying about creeps stalking her through the internet, or guys slipping her a rufie at a party, or the thought of her getting on twitter or myspace or something, meeting some college guys, and getting gangbanged by them is really too much.

Ideally I and her mother would be able to instill the right values in her, but lets be real, girls learn their ethics and values from a variety of sources, only one of which is their parents. I know girls from great families with upstanding parents who I would let raise my kids no question should the circumstance call for it, who whore around as much as anyone else.

I don't know if I could handle it. No, i'm sure I could if I had a daughter, I would HAVE to, but to be completely honest, the idea of having a daughter in these times scares the **** out of me and I don't want any part of it.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:40 PM   #9
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
Retrograde patriarchal thinking is strong in this thread.

exactly.... you dudes cant b*tch up now after had your fun and now its almost time to have your own daughter and get paid back twofold

raising a daughter is the balance to the early part of your life...

just buy a shotgun like they used to do in the old days...

Daughters are murder on your blood pressure, but soo are sons

you'll be alright
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:41 PM   #10
JayGuevara
Hellbound

You will have similar trials and tribulations with a son. Not the exact same, but most of what you just expressed concern about would stand for a child of either gender.

Think of how starface's dad would feel if he saw his son's picture in the mirror with no shirt and only a pair of hoopin shorts on.

Your main concern of having a daughter is just the double standard of a girl being a slut and a man being Leon Phelps. Anything about safety, morals, friends in "the wrong crowd", or whatever else you threw in apply just the same to male children.

In conclusion, raising a child is not easy no matter what. Although I'm pretty sure that a single parent raising a child of the opposite gender is considerably harder than most other scenarios. My moms had a helluva time with me, and I can't even imagine what it would be like to try and raise a daughter by myself.
JayGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:42 PM   #11
picc84
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball
I'm pretty sure girls have ALWAYS been this slutty it's just there was no myspace or pic messages to show so they denied it... but now it's more public.

I gotta think that girls 50 years ago weren't attending sex parties and doming dudes off in bathrooms. Yes, extreme examples but I believe modern women are more slutty in practice even if not in mind, purely because its more acceptable to be so.

There are 200 ways for women to be sluts these days. And they will use every one of them.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:45 PM   #12
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

^Retrospective fallacy. The only difference in promiscuity then and now, is that if a girl became preggers either the father was forced to marry her, or she disappeared for awhile to live with her aunt, had the baby, and put it up for adoption.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:45 PM   #13
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Not every girl is a stupid slut.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:48 PM   #14
Smokee
Banned

I agree there is a lot to worry about if you have a daughter these days vs a dude. I mean so much more to worry about, and young females these days are so impressionable to dressing slutty, bringing home thugs/punks, getting comatose drunk at a party, etc. and looking up to role models like Brittany Spears, Christina Aguilera, etc. that are terrible role models to look up to.

It'd be hard to handle enough accepting my daughter dating at any particular age, since most of us know how most guys are all about getting in a girls pants where females are generally very naive to it. I just know what happened growing up to females, with friends, etc. and its worse now than its ever been in terms of what can possibly go wrong on social levels.
Smokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:48 PM   #15
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Guy I work with told a story just today about how his grandfather got his grandmother's sister pregnant shortly before they got married... the sister simply moved away for a while and came back... He said there was little animosity over it too...

things were basically the same back then...... just no computers or cell phones to broadcast the smutty behavior...

sh*t was kept under raps and people moved on and pretended it never happened
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: