Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 03-20-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

bleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Kobe's play

right now, he's playing the worst he has all season.
Over the last 10 games...
his fg% is the lowest (at about 45%)
his assists are lowest (less than 4 per game, compared to 7 per game in Jan)
his FT attempts are lowest (about 5 per game, compared to 7 and 8 per in Jan/Feb).

and, frankly, his defense hasn't been all that great. It seems that he doesn't play to his defensive capabilities unless there is a notable challenge (Lebron, etc).

I hope coaches address all of this before it goes too far. Now is the wrong time for this sort of thing.

Of course, we can say that come playoff time, he will step up. But for those of us who have been around this game, we know that inconsistent play ALWAYS carries itself into the playoffs.
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:42 PM   #2
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Kobe's play

one could argue that he is just plain tired...

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:19 PM   #3
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

He may be tired, but it shouldnt excuse poor play and poor decision making. Aginst the 76ers, when Gasol was hot late in the game, I noticed Kobe trying to do too much on offense and running Iso's and chucking long jumpers. He does this from time to time. The ball shouldve been runned through Gasol bc he is such a mismatch for most teams. I think Gasol provides a bigger mismatch on average against teams compared to Kobe.
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:24 PM   #4
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

with lamar in the starting lineup kobe has been allowed to back off the throttle abit..

he's not driving to the basket because he doesn't have to with lamar a threat off the dribble hence the FG% is down because of the longer shots...

his ft attempts are down because you get fouled less on jumpshots

his assists are down because with lamar on the floor you have another ball handler

the whole teams defense has been lacking, whether by design or just being tired the defense as a unit has backed off
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:08 PM   #5
UDøNIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
He may be tired, but it shouldnt excuse poor play and poor decision making. Aginst the 76ers, when Gasol was hot late in the game, I noticed Kobe trying to do too much on offense and running Iso's and chucking long jumpers. He does this from time to time. The ball shouldve been runned through Gasol bc he is such a mismatch for most teams. I think Gasol provides a bigger mismatch on average against teams compared to Kobe.

I agree...Kobe being tired is no excuse simply because he DOES have an all-star cast to rely on instead of putting up poor field-goal percentage.

I want to see Pau get a touch on offense each time. Sort of like the Shaq-Kobe days when we would run our offense through Shaq. That doesn't mean that his shot attempts have to double (he definitely should be putting up more shots...), but I believe that running the offense like that will open a lot more opportunities for all players.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:26 PM   #6
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDøNIS
I agree...Kobe being tired is no excuse simply because he DOES have an all-star cast to rely on instead of putting up poor field-goal percentage.

I want to see Pau get a touch on offense each time. Sort of like the Shaq-Kobe days when we would run our offense through Shaq. That doesn't mean that his shot attempts have to double (he definitely should be putting up more shots...), but I believe that running the offense like that will open a lot more opportunities for all players.

No doubt. Gasol is a very smart player. And he is amongst the best in the league as a big man passer. Good things usually come when he gets the ball in the post. Whether its utilizing his skill and size to score in the post, or dishing it off to the open man. He doesn't have the dominance Shag had, but he certainly does a lot of things Shaq did when he was here (score, pass, presence)
Old 03-20-2009, 07:45 PM   #7
SoCalMike

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
He may be tired, but it shouldnt excuse poor play and poor decision making.

I think fatigue can explain the poor play, but I do agree with you that it should not result in poor decision making... we have certainly seen a bit of that as he has forced things and "broken" the offensive execution too much lately.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:48 PM   #8
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
I think fatigue can explain the poor play, but I do agree with you that it should not result in poor decision making... we have certainly seen a bit of that as he has forced things and "broken" the offensive execution too much lately.

well I personally think that the way it works is fatigue leads to poor decision making, which then leads to the poor play.

its all in your head.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:50 PM   #9
Lone Laker
Serious playground baller

Lone Laker has an OK reputation so far

Kobe's got to run the offense properly, and he'll get his points and his shots.
Lone Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:53 PM   #10
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Quote:

I can agree with that. But Kobe is a vet, and I really expect a lot out of him (probably more than I should), so I am harsher on him when he is playing poorly. No one is immune to fatigue, I just think he has lost focus as of late
Old 03-20-2009, 08:14 PM   #11
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people

If one there is one guy i'm not worried about it's Kobe......stats or no stats.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:28 PM   #12
SoCalMike

Quote:
I can agree with that. But Kobe is a vet, and I really expect a lot out of him (probably more than I should), so I am harsher on him when he is playing poorly. No one is immune to fatigue, I just think he has lost focus as of late

ok, i buy that... so, could part of it being that he sees the MVP getting away from him so he is forcing it? yes, he does not play as well when he does this, but it does make me think.... just something to ponder...

Old 03-20-2009, 08:30 PM   #13
LA_Showtime
Call me the Mamba

LA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
ok, i buy that... so, could part of it being that he sees the MVP getting away from him so he is forcing it? yes, he does not play as well when he does this, but it does make me think.... just something to ponder...

That's what I was thinking too. When he tries to go for individual glory his game tends to suffer. That's one reason why he has struggled in the Finals. If Kobe just played basketball the results AND individual accolades would come.
LA_Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:39 PM   #14
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Quote:

Yea, I do think that is part of the case at least. I think Kobe is one of the most intelligent basketball players on the floor, but he seems to let his ego get ahead of him at times. Sometimes he feels the need to take over when they are struggling, but its not the best choice sometimes. He does get us out of jams frequently, but many times I think the shots he takes are not good ones, even if they do go in.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:43 PM   #15
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

bleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
with lamar in the starting lineup kobe has been allowed to back off the throttle abit..

he's not driving to the basket because he doesn't have to with lamar a threat off the dribble hence the FG% is down because of the longer shots...

his ft attempts are down because you get fouled less on jumpshots

his assists are down because with lamar on the floor you have another ball handler

the whole teams defense has been lacking, whether by design or just being tired the defense as a unit has backed off

huh?
what, 'cause Odom is in the starting lineup Kobe has let off the gas peddle? and that'sOK?
it's OK to take more and more jumpers because Odom is a threat off the dribble?
no. I'm not buying what you're sellin'

He's played poorly over the last 10 games (or more). Maybe he is, indeed, fatigued.

Good coaching will put things back in order.
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: