Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 03-31-2009, 09:38 PM   #1
djwhizard
drum & bass!

djwhizard is a pretty well-respected posterdjwhizard is a pretty well-respected posterdjwhizard is a pretty well-respected posterdjwhizard is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Who else is frustrated with this Lakers team?

This last stretch of the season I do not see a championship caliber team. The team chemistry is not there, the bench (who used to be a strong point - and a bench you could brag about) is playing terrible. Farmar is in outer space, bad decision after bad decision. Vujacic can't hit a shot to save his life. Powell, oh Powell, remember when we were all raving about this guy? Now it seems he has had a hand transplant with Kwame Brown and can't hang onto the ball to save his life!

Luke Walton is now the bright light on the bench - and he used to be the biggest liability on our bench.

Kobe seems to be worn down - he hasn't been playing well or shooting well in a long time. Are all his injuries and the long season + Olympics catching up with him? He just seems tired. His jumpshots are getting longer and longer, he is not cutting/slashing to the basket, and as expected his field goal percentage is heading south.

Odom and Ariza are playing OK, Odom has been beasting in many of the games, but it just isn't enough to carry the Lakers.

Gasol is a workhorse, very efficient, but we don't seem to even notice he is there half the time, especially the bench.

Our defense is supremely lackluster, and now with our offense faltering it is exposing a very weak team. This is just not what you want to see heading into the playoffs - the Lakers are going in the wrong direction.

I know many of you will say I am overreacting to a couple of losses and that the sky isn't falling - but it isn't these last two games that makes me feel this way, it is the trend of the team over the last ten/fifteen/twenty games. Just not showing that killer instinct, not showing heart or effort, or even that champion swagger. This has been evidenced by blowing huge leads, letting teams stick around with them, and losing games they should have locked up like the one to the 76ers.

I could go on and on, but I know many fans are feeling the same way I am. Its a very uneasy feeling about this year and this team.
djwhizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
djwhizard
drum & bass!

djwhizard is a pretty well-respected posterdjwhizard is a pretty well-respected posterdjwhizard is a pretty well-respected posterdjwhizard is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Who else is frustrated with this Lakers team?

Can Bynum come in right at the buzzer, shake things up, and spark some life in this team? I hope so, but I'm definitely not counting on it.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:47 PM   #3
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Please, lets limit this kind of negative energy... they will be fine and peak at the right time. They won the Western Conference and probably feel for the most part that their mission is accomplished for the regular season.

Be patient!

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:53 PM   #4
thatoneblackguy

thatoneblackguy has a terrific reputationthatoneblackguy has a terrific reputationthatoneblackguy has a terrific reputationthatoneblackguy has a terrific reputationthatoneblackguy has a terrific reputation

Lakers are just coasting right now. They will surprise everybody in the playoffs with dominating sweeps.

Relax, young padawan.
thatoneblackguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:55 PM   #5
LA_Showtime
Call me the Mamba

LA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I realize how upset everyone gets when the Lakers throw up **** like they did tonight but look at the big picture: we've got the number one seed wrapped up in the Western Conference and we've showed up when it counts. This team is coasting, and frankly the only thing that upsets me is Gasol's minutes per game. I don't want Gasol playing 44 minutes if we're not going to bring 100% intensity.

I think we should sit out Gasol, Kobe, and Fisher tomorrow. It's against the Bucks, and I think they NEED a game off to get some energy.
LA_Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:24 PM   #6
Allstar24
NBA lottery pick

Allstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation here

This Lakers team is just WEIRD, thats the only way I can describe them. They get owned by the Bobcats and Blazers but look like the best team in the world against the Spurs/Celtics/Cavs/Rockets.

I'm not worried about today's loss, we always lose to the Bobcats. More than the loss, it was discouraging to see the Lakers play no defense at all. Its like we can't rely on our defense to win us games, we NEED to outscore our opponents. Maybe that's what people mean when they say we can't win a title without Bynum. I'm not acting like our season is over or anything silly like that but there is reason to show a little concern. The Lakers picked a bad time to start playing their worst basketball of the season.

Can't wait till our next game against an elite team (probably Fri vs Houston)...the Lakers need to play a good team to get back on track again. They're just so weird.
Allstar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:53 PM   #7
momo
Value Ape.

momo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I get frustrated with em sometimes but I try and not hang on it too much. I had one season during the magic era and one during the shakobe era that I sorta let the shortcomings and minor failures of the team eat me up, wind me up and jack me up WAY too much. It just does not pay in the long run.

Funny too because both squads did win it all each time. In a way two of the most enjoyable years I have had as a fan were year before last and the year they had Van, Jones and Cedric... I guess Eddies second year. (??? maybe the year they upset the sonics in the postseason and then got taken out the next series???) I knew they were not winning it all, no way, no how, and ANY victory was a pretty good win.
momo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:55 PM   #8
djwhizard
drum & bass!

All right, I am not going to get too negative, but lets just say that I am a little more than concerned.

I don't think they are coasting, I think their weaknesses are growing/showing. The bench has gone from a huge asset to a huge liability. We have lost some of that depth that made us such a great team. Last year we were playing better going into the playoffs - and our bench was stronger, and we still lost in the finals.

Our defense is struggling - and we need it to win a championship, our offense did not do the job against Boston or even the Pistons in the last two finals. I don't have to remind any one here that we were heavily favored in both those series - and lost in embarrassing fashion in both.

Bynum could come back and make the difference, but I am not getting my hopes up. I am going to be positive and hope for a different result than last year.... You guys seem less worried than me, but Cleveland looks like the Boston of last year... and I don't want a repeat of last year...
Old 03-31-2009, 11:00 PM   #9
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

bleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_Showtime
I realize how upset everyone gets when the Lakers throw up **** like they did tonight but look at the big picture: we've got the number one seed wrapped up in the Western Conference and we've showed up when it counts. This team is coasting, and frankly the only thing that upsets me is Gasol's minutes per game. I don't want Gasol playing 44 minutes if we're not going to bring 100% intensity.

I think we should sit out Gasol, Kobe, and Fisher tomorrow. It's against the Bucks, and I think they NEED a game off to get some energy.

so Kobe shooting approx 40% over the last 15 games doesn't bother you?
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:25 PM   #10
magic chiongson
I post-up midgets

magic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

i'm not that frustrated..yet

anyway i think the lakers should "tank" the rest of the season & give up on the home-court advantage in the finals. they already have the west's homecourt advantage anyway, and the cavs have a much lighter schedule. they should give the starters plenty of rest on the 4 games where they play non-playoff teams (bucks,clippers,kings,memphis), and then treat the other 4 games like playoffs matches. the starters have been getting heavy minutes (gasol especially) the past 2 months and i think this would benefit them more, even if they have to lose all 4 games against non-playoff teams
magic chiongson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:26 PM   #11
magic chiongson
I post-up midgets

magic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_Showtime

i agree with this
magic chiongson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:32 PM   #12
LA_Showtime
Call me the Mamba

LA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
so Kobe shooting approx 40% over the last 15 games doesn't bother you?

No it doesn't. This is Kobe we're talking about. He's one of the smartest guys in the NBA and he knows his body. Unless he's being a stubborn idiot, he would tell Phil he's tired. Kobe will get out of this slump in time for the playoffs.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:36 PM   #13
revan
I brick open layups

revan has an OK reputation so far

I think it's all revolving around how banged up Kobe is getting. Taking Odom and Ariza from the bench has made them lose production from it. With bynum returing hopefully we can rest Kobe more and strengthen our bench at the same time. Sure it's frustrating being so close to our goal of HCA but you must remember the big picture. What good would HCA be if our team is so depleted we can't defend our own court?
revan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:43 PM   #14
LA_Showtime
Call me the Mamba

I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Lamar Odom move back to the bench. He's played great basketball since being inserted for Drew, but I want him to stabilize our bench. While Josh Powell isn't an ideal starter, he's still a solid player.

BTW now that I've had a full season to compare Powell to Ronny I would choose Ronny. Powell had a good run, but he's a poor finisher and has a low basketball IQ. Ronny energized our team, and I think that's one of the problems of our bench this year. They don't seem to enjoy playing together. I want them to be energized like they were earlier in the season, when Ariza was so pumped up he knocked over Sasha (haha).
Old 03-31-2009, 11:45 PM   #15
djwhizard
drum & bass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic chiongson
i'm not that frustrated..yet

anyway i think the lakers should "tank" the rest of the season & give up on the home-court advantage in the finals. they already have the west's homecourt advantage anyway, and the cavs have a much lighter schedule. they should give the starters plenty of rest on the 4 games where they play non-playoff teams (bucks,clippers,kings,memphis), and then treat the other 4 games like playoffs matches. the starters have been getting heavy minutes (gasol especially) the past 2 months and i think this would benefit them more, even if they have to lose all 4 games against non-playoff teams

Cleveland: 61-13
L.A. Lakers: 58-16
Orlando: 55-18
Boston: 56-19

After these last two losses, Lakers can not afford to "tank" the rest of the season and risk falling behind Orlando or the Celtics. Lakers were swept by Orlando in the regular season - we will need homecourt advantage against them, and lets not underestimate HCA against the Celtics should they make the finals. Losing all 4 games against non-playoff teams as you say would be very dangerous for us.

We need to try and pull it together before the season is over, right the ship and begin playing well (with passion) and build some momentum into the post season.

Not that we have to exhaust ourselves and push our starters minutes the rest of the season, but we can't coast our way these remaining games.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: