Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Old 04-02-2009, 07:04 PM   #1
BrooklynNets
Can barely lace up my sneakers

BrooklynNets has an OK reputation so far
Default How can the Nets increase turnout?

Sometimes it gets a little depressing being a Net fan. With the atmosphere at Izod sinking so low and the team in a rebuilding mode what can the franchise do from a fan's perspective to improve the arena experience? Lowering ticket prices is the most obvious and simplest answer but I was hoping we could go deeper than that. Hopefully we can think up some constructive ideas that would create a buzz around this organization again.

One thought I had was replacing the Suss. I like him but I feel like he is so disconnected from the crowd. I think about that guy Mason in Detroit and how he just electrifies the joint with D-TROIT BASKETBALL! In some ways I think it's the little details like that which hurt the Nets. It is an entertainment industry after all.

Would love to hear people's thoughts.
BrooklynNets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:15 PM   #2
UniformBomber

UniformBomber has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: How can the Nets increase turnout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynNets
Sometimes it gets a little depressing being a Net fan. With the atmosphere at Izod sinking so low and the team in a rebuilding mode what can the franchise do from a fan's perspective to improve the arena experience? Lowering ticket prices is the most obvious and simplest answer but I was hoping we could go deeper than that. Hopefully we can think up some constructive ideas that would create a buzz around this organization again.

One thought I had was replacing the Suss. I like him but I feel like he is so disconnected from the crowd. I think about that guy Mason in Detroit and how he just electrifies the joint with D-TROIT BASKETBALL! In some ways I think it's the little details like that which hurt the Nets. It is an entertainment industry after all.

Would love to hear people's thoughts.

1. Win
2. Move arena location (the market in this area just isn't there to pack them in every night)
3. Win
4. Get talented players who are exciting to watch
5. More Primetime and nationally televised games, which, go figure, comes with winning.
UniformBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:19 PM   #3
MTing
Where Brooklyn at?

MTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniformBomber
1. Win
2. Move arena location (the market in this area just isn't there to pack them in every night)
3. Win
5. More Primetime and nationally televised games, which, go figure, comes with winning.
You forgot
6. Win
MTing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:35 PM   #4
BrooklynNets

Quote:
1. Win
3. Win

But there are ways to get people to come to a game even when the team isn't always winning. It seems like many Nets fans like to hate on their team? Does anybody else feel that way? Is there any way of changing it?
Old 04-02-2009, 07:48 PM   #5
UniformBomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynNets
But there are ways to get people to come to a game even when the team isn't always winning. It seems like many Nets fans like to hate on their team? Does anybody else feel that way? Is there any way of changing it?

I really just think it's the market of the area. Most people that live around here are traditional Knicks fans, and the Nets can't compete with that. Not to mention, the Yankees/Giants/Mets/Jets are all bigger than the Nets. People will only dedicate so much time and money to sports, to a team, and it makes it even less likely they'll follow a crappy team. The Nets are trying to draw fans and customers from all over this area (NJ, CT, NY) when those people are already invested in the Knicks and other teams.

But if you move the team to a smaller, more centralized location like Brooklyn, you have your fanbase in that one spot.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:51 PM   #6
BrooklynNets

Quote:
I really just think it's the market of the area. Most people that live around here are traditional Knicks fans, and the Nets can't compete with that. Not to mention, the Yankees/Giants/Mets/Jets are all bigger than the Nets. People will only dedicate so much time and money to sports, to a team, and it makes it even less likely they'll follow a crappy team. The Nets are trying to draw fans and customers from all over this area (NJ, CT, NY) when those people are already invested in the Knicks and other teams.

But if you move the team to a smaller, more centralized location like Brooklyn, you have your fanbase in that one spot.

I agree with all of that. So let me rephrase the question:

How can the Nets increase the energy level at the arena, at least amongst the die hards. Even when this team was good it seemed like so many people in the crowd didn't even give a crap.

Well except for the guy who always does this:
Old 04-03-2009, 12:51 PM   #7
JerzeyBlaze
BBall gets u cut

JerzeyBlaze is considered somewhat coolJerzeyBlaze is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
1. Win
3. Win

All good points indeed, however for number 2...I personally think that it has nothing to do with the current location. Why do i say that because that arena is the same location that holds the NY GIANTS, the Jets, and major major major Concerts...which many many famous artists/bands perform...and they always seem to be sold out. What does that tell you? It tells you that the actual location is not the problem. Like another poster stated its because they are New York Fans...but theres a ton people from jersey that loves the nets and the knicks...like me. I go to a lot of Nets games and also support the Knicks as well. What we need is a hybrid. Figure out some way to get nets and knicks fans to like each other and support the Tri state area teams.

A lot of New Jersey residents are Giants fans, but i guarentee if the Nets picked up a megastar like Lebron James or someone of that Caliber that it will be sold out every night. I think it comes down to that. Get a superstar along side Harris and Carter and thats a start.

To answer the posters questions...i think the entertainment side of things as far as cheerleaders , the halftime shows, the MC/music and challenges are very fun and entertaining. Its just getting more people to come out. So heres my solution:

1. Lower the price of the tickets/give incentives for fans to come out ( i think 40 bucks for a decent seat is a good start)

2. Go grab a superstar which will bring more endorsers to the arena (imagine a Lebron, or a DWade, or Kobe) not saying get them but a star like them

You can say all you want about location...heck if they go to Brooklyn cool..ill still support them and see them BUT most basketball fans that live in brooklyn are already KNICK fans...so if you have the Nets go to Brooklyn...and picture if Lebron goes to Brooklyn, then you are going to have all of the KNICK fans all of a sudden become Nets fans and then they wont be going to the Knick games but the Nets Games...

Last edited by JerzeyBlaze : 04-03-2009 at 12:53 PM.
JerzeyBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:25 PM   #8
UniformBomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyBlaze
All good points indeed, however for number 2...I personally think that it has nothing to do with the current location. Why do i say that because that arena is the same location that holds the NY GIANTS, the Jets, and major major major Concerts...which many many famous artists/bands perform...and they always seem to be sold out. What does that tell you? It tells you that the actual location is not the problem. Like another poster stated its because they are New York Fans...but theres a ton people from jersey that loves the nets and the knicks...like me. I go to a lot of Nets games and also support the Knicks as well. What we need is a hybrid. Figure out some way to get nets and knicks fans to like each other and support the Tri state area teams.

A lot of New Jersey residents are Giants fans, but i guarentee if the Nets picked up a megastar like Lebron James or someone of that Caliber that it will be sold out every night. I think it comes down to that. Get a superstar along side Harris and Carter and thats a start.

Yes, the easy answer is the mega-star, but you can't count on that happening, as there's only a handful of them; that's what makes them mega-stars, because they're the elite.

And I say the location is the problem based on the product. The Nets are trying to draw a big fan-base from an area that has fans who are already invested in so much else, beginning with the Jets and Giants. Go to NYC, and you have mostly Knicks fans. Go to South NJ, and you'll find a mixture of Nets and 76er fans. But if you live in South NJ, are you really going to drive 2 hours up the turnpike on a Tuesday night to go watch the Nets embarrass themselves against the Bucks? The only thing that will draw people to Izod is, like you said, a Lebron caliber player. Anything short of that just won't do it.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:33 PM   #9
BrooklynNets

Quote:
Yes, the easy answer is the mega-star, but you can't count on that happening, as there's only a handful of them; that's what makes them mega-stars, because they're the elite.

And I say the location is the problem based on the product. The Nets are trying to draw a big fan-base from an area that has fans who are already invested in so much else, beginning with the Jets and Giants. Go to NYC, and you have mostly Knicks fans. Go to South NJ, and you'll find a mixture of Nets and 76er fans. But if you live in South NJ, are you really going to drive 2 hours up the turnpike on a Tuesday night to go watch the Nets embarrass themselves against the Bucks? The only thing that will draw people to Izod is, like you said, a Lebron caliber player. Anything short of that just won't do it.

Well I am from Connecticut and I can attest to what a pain it is getting out to the meadowlands. Maybe it will be better when Xanadu has opened up and there are things to do before/after the game. People tailgate for football games and make the experience a full day event. When you go to a basketball game you want to get a nice dinner first- something that is very hard to do around the Meadowlands.

I know the Nets need to move- they wont be able to afford an elite free agent even if they sell out every game. I still think the Nets need to display more personality. I would start by replacing the current jerseys with an updated version of the old Nets ABA unis. Those were so Then maybe I would start a Nets Video magazine which every other team in the universe seems to have. Change the PA announcer from Suss to somebody who would actually encourage the crowd to go crazy and put some life into the building.

My problem is not just about the turnout by the vibe of the people who are there. If it felt more exciting like other arenas around the league I think it would lead to greater turnout.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:05 PM   #10
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Move the team to Tampa.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: