Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 04-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #1
gts
Sons of Antartica

Default AI

Iverson is a frre agent this summer...

Lakers have nothing to offer other than the MLE. should the Lakes make that offer? he has alot to offer and since the triangle doesn't rely on the traditional PG he fits into the lakers scheme of things.

pros

*lessens the burden on kobe to be the perimeter threat to break down defenses off the dibble (kobe really is the only gaurd the lakers have capable of doing that at this time)

*gives the lakers another seasoned vet at the small gaurd position

*decent defender would easily be the lakers 3rd best defender in the back court after kobe and fish possibly the second depending on how you rate fish

*top level ball handler, good shooter

*makes farmar expendable to some extent, good trade bait

*not afraid of the big moment

*mentally tough, there's a lot of fight in that dog

cons

* carries some baggage, i'm not convinced it's all of his own making, but none the less there is history there

*33 years old, but his game doesn't seem to be as effected as some 33 year olds

thoughts?
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
shadybab
I airball my layups

Default Re: A.i.

Who do you think we would lost over the deal?

I really wouldn't like losing Fish (34) for Iverson
shadybab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:49 PM   #3
gts
Sons of Antartica

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadybab
Who do you think we would lost over the deal?

I really wouldn't like losing Fish (34) for Iverson
he's a free agent, or will be this summer...
Old 04-03-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
LA_Showtime
Call me the Mamba

i would rather try and package jordan farmar + adam morrison and try to find a solid point guard to either start in front of fisher or be his backup. jordan's got a lot of potential, but i don't think he's suited for the triangle and i'm at the point where i'm willing to trade him if the right deal comes along.

farmar + adam morrison + 1st round pick for kirk hinrich?

the bulls clear some cap space (adam's contract expires), get a first round pick, and a solid backup... the lakers get a proven point. i don't know, sounds good to me lol
LA_Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:54 PM   #5
shadybab
I airball my layups

My bad, that was the first line of your post

Personally, I like the Lakers starting Fisher at the point. While continuing to develop Farmar and Shannon Brown.

Although you are right, Fish is only one of those three that is much of a threat offensively...
Old 04-03-2009, 04:55 PM   #6
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Kobe was quoted about 2 offseasons ago saying he would love to play with iverson and that they would co-exist better than people think.

im worried it can turn into a Gary Payton thing where he'll get unhappy. He is talent regardless and any team should look into him...especially since he is a proven winner by leading a team to the finals once and to the playoffs several times.

I think if Marbury can get a shot, Iverson should too.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:57 PM   #7
shadybab
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
I think if Marbury can get a shot, Iverson should too.

Has Marbury done much of anything in Boston?
Old 04-03-2009, 04:59 PM   #8
BlackMamba24

I'm all for it if he's willing to be come off the bench and be happy with around 25 MPG. He can be very useful in that amount of time and gives you a great offensive spark. And I think he'd be motivated in the right sense for the hate he's getting recently.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:00 PM   #9
BlackMamba24

Quote:
Iverson is no Marbury. Sure, they might seem to have similar games in terms of not being good defenders, poor shot selection and needing the ball to be effective but AI is a much better player than a rusty Marbury at this point.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:02 PM   #10
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:

Irrelevant. The point is he got the shot. As far as contributions for the NBA Iverson has done much more and would do better in boston than Marbury (who is out of shape) can do.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:06 PM   #11
gts
Sons of Antartica

but it's not tit for tat, because marbury got a chance iverson should too...

marbury in boston has nothing to do with iverson this summer... i can gaurantee no gm will look at AI and think "well marbury got to play in bosotn so maybe we should give AI a chance"

and AI may have a little baggage but it is nowhere near the level of the crap marbury hauls around on his back. lol
Old 04-03-2009, 05:07 PM   #12
shadybab
I airball my layups

I'm not disputing A.I. is better player than marbury. But will he fit in L.A. well?
Old 04-03-2009, 05:08 PM   #13
D-Rose

If we win the title, then I see no problem with this. Farmar has underperformed this year and Shannon Brown will probably leave.

Then again it could turn into a Gary Payton '04 situation.

I think Iverson would love to play in LA, he's very marketable as well.
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:12 PM   #14
BlackMamba24

Quote:
I'm not disputing A.I. is better player than marbury. But will he fit in L.A. well?
If he has the right mind set and the concept of playing winning basketball then no doubt. There will be a time where he'll realize that he has to make changes to his game and the amount of minutes he wants to get a ring. That time might come soon, maybe this summer when he'll take a look at the offers he's getting. It's entirely on AI whether he's willing to fit in on a championship contending team. He isn't gonna start, he has to come off the bench. And you know he might be willing to take a step back to Kobe.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:15 PM   #15
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
but it's not tit for tat, because marbury got a chance iverson should too...

marbury in boston has nothing to do with iverson this summer... i can gaurantee no gm will look at AI and think "well marbury got to play in bosotn so maybe we should give AI a chance"

and AI may have a little baggage but it is nowhere near the level of the crap marbury hauls around on his back. lol

It depends what role Iverson is given. Don't get me wrong Im not trying to be an iverson groupie here but I am just speaking from a player point of view...he will definitely say the right things about trying to blend in and what not even after he just finished saying that he will retire if he has to come off the bench again.

The reason detroit is screwed is because they traded Billups, a play maker, for iverson, a play breaker.

However with limited minutes and a limited role, he might be useful.

If lamar Odom can accept a bench role, Iverson can too, he just needs to embrace it for a second.

Would he fit well with the lakers shadybab? No idea, Im going to say no with this current system and coach.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: