Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 04-03-2009, 10:35 PM   #1
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Article: LA Times - Sasha Vujacic or Jordan Farmar: Who's 'least improved'?

Source: Sasha Vujacic or Jordan Farmar: Who's 'least improved'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad brad turner

Readers' questions for our Lakers beat reporter Broderick Turner.

Question: Who would you vote for "least improved" Laker this 2008/2009 season? I'm personally torn between Sasha [Vujacic] and Jordan [Farmar]. Sasha, after insinuating he might bolt overseas should he not get a salary boost, has put on a pretty abysmal display of perimeter shooting this entire season. Let's not forget his penchant for fouling other speedy guards at the most inopportune times. Then there's Mr. Farmar, who not only has shot equally anemic over the past couple of months, but seems to have kept his offensive tenacity and drive to the hole abilities in his suitcase on every road trip. These are the two guys who were second unit X factors last year in my opinion. Where have they gone? More importantly, will they ever come back?

Brian Iannessa La Palma, California

Answer: Ha! Least improved. Now that's a good one.

Well, you do make a very good point.

Let's go to the stats and let that be our guide.

Farmar averaged 9.1 points per game last season compared with 6.7 this season. His shooting is down to 40.6% this season compared with 46.1% last year, his three-point shooting is down to 35.1% compared with 37.1% last year and his turnovers are up to 1.4 compared with 1.3 last season.

Vujacic is averaging 5.6 points this season, down from his career high of 8.8 last season. He's making 37.7% of his field goals compared with 45.4% last season, and he's making 35.3% of his three-pointers compared with 43.7% from last season.

You are on to something here.

Will Farmar and Vujacic come back to last year's form?

You and other Lakers fan better hope they do.

Q: What is your opinion on how Phil Jackson calls time out? I think part of the reason that some big leads are blown is due to the fact that Jackson does not call quick enough timeouts. By the time he calls time out, the damage has been done and the other team is right back in it. I truly feel that they should be taking timeouts to stop the bleeding and set a play to stop the momentum by the opposing team; then again, I don't get paid the big bucks to coach.

What do you think?

Arnel Ramirez

A: I don't get paid the big bucks either. But for the little money I do get -- and by the way, I'm happy to get my cash -- I'll be the armchair coach.

Don't forget, it has always been Jackson's philosophy that when his teams get into a bind and aren't playing well, that it should be up to the players to pull themselves out of it. That has always been his approach, and for the most part, it has worked. It sort of like he's saying, "You made this mess, now fix your mess." Sometimes that mess smells bad and teams do get back in the game, but I think Jackson is trying to get a message across to his players.

Q: I give up on Farmar. He looks like a lost boy out there on the court.

As for [Derek] Fisher, it's time for him to hang up his sneakers. He just can't guard anybody. And he's flopping and isn't fooling the refs anymore.

An off-season trade for [Charlotte point guard D.J.] Augustin, [Detroit's] Will Bynum or somebody . . . anybody!!!

And P.J. [Phil Jackson], why not Shannon Brown as starting PG?

What do you think?

And while we're on the subject of off-season trades, Al Jefferson for either [Pau] Gasol or [Andrew] Bynum.

And I won't even talk of a Bobcats-Lakers NBA Finals. My money's on Charlotte in five.

Jojo Chupeco Manila, Philippines

A: While you're at it, why not have the Lakers acquire Orlando's Dwight Howard, Cleveland's LeBron James and New Orleans' Chris Paul? After all, they are the best three at their positions of center, small forward and point guard, respectively, in the NBA.

Hey, my man, you've got to dance with this Lakers team. Which I'll remind you has the second-best record in the NBA and reached the NBA Finals last season.

It's too late in the season to give up on your team.

And yeah, Charlotte has had its way with the Lakers. Good thing they aren't in the playoffs -- at least not yet.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:11 AM   #2
gts
Sons of Antartica

Default Re: Article: LA Times - Sasha Vujacic or Jordan Farmar: Who's 'least improved'?

it's not a question of least improved, it's who took the bigger step backwards and that honor goes to farmar...
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:12 AM   #3
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Default Re: Article: LA Times - Sasha Vujacic or Jordan Farmar: Who's 'least improved'?

Hs answers were not very insightful, but I will continue the discussion on about Sasha and Farmar. I think Farmar has dissappoited me the most this season. He has had ample time to prove his worth and has come up short big time this year. He has forced the ball way too often and is not playing smart on the court. TO's, missed passes, forced shots are all getting too common with him.
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:37 AM   #4
Lakers13
Reload Time

Sasha and Farmar have been very disturbing to watch this year. I'd say Farmar has taken the biggest step back simply because he plays more minutes and is relied to lead our second unit. Doesnt attack the rim anymore, cant hit ANY open shots, and is prone to make turnovers. His D is not great either.

At least with Sasha, hes still clawing the opposition at the other end when hes not hitting, with bone head foul here and there.
Lakers13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:47 AM   #5
thatoneblackguy

Farmar was embarrassing tonight.
thatoneblackguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:51 AM   #6
gts
Sons of Antartica

phil jackson just discussed this in the post game..hopefully we can find a transcipt of it tommorow, but he said (i'll para phrase) the difference is jordan is supposed to lead the squad and as such has a responsibility to use his head and not make silly mistakes, he's supposed to be an extension of the starting unit...

sasha on the other hand is just naturally on a shorter leash because he backs up kobe who is always one of the first to come back in the game despite when he went out of the game...

phil doesn't seem to mind farmars shooting woes, but he does have a problem with making errors that lead to turnovers or mistakes on basic basketball fundamental strategy they practice...
Old 04-04-2009, 11:04 AM   #7
SoCalMike

^^ gts you summed it up pretty well.

he definitely seemed unpleased with farmar's mental mistakes and as i recall he also directly referred to being disappointed with farmar on that jump ball play where he gave up and houston got the ball for the layup... (and pjax immediately called a timeout)

Old 04-04-2009, 12:56 PM   #8
gts
Sons of Antartica

Quote:
Jackson on adjusting his rotation: "I'm going to continue to experiment with this a little bit. I liked the game Jordan (Farmar) played in Milwaukee. He didn't shoot the ball well, but I liked the game he played in Milwaukee. So he had the first option to go off the bench tonight. I thought his effort was good tonight. He tried, but I thought some of the things he did were not what I wanted to see. It has to be done better. Sasha (Vujacic) is on a shorter leash because he's sitting behind Kobe (Bryant) and Kobe is necessary to come back and help us. I told Luke (Walton) he hasn't had a good home game. He's played well on the road, but he hasn't played well on our home court for a while and I wanted him to get it back on our home court and give us that sustained effort that he can do."

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/
Old 04-04-2009, 01:37 PM   #9
JJ81
Good college starter

Sasha. He was great last season and now he's a no-show.
JJ81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:07 PM   #10
djwhizard
drum & bass!

This is a tough one... Sasha's statistical numbers have dropped more, but Farmar seems to be making more mental mistakes/bonehead plays and showing less effort than Sasha.

I'll let them share the tropy!

I am more disappointed in Farmar though, because he showed the most promise... For a while there last year he looked like he would be ready to take over starting point guard duties someday...
djwhizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:06 PM   #11
2 Legit 2 Quit
Can barely lace up my sneakers

I'd have to go with Jordan Farmar. Last year he looked like he could become our starting point guard in the near future. Fast forward to this year and it looks as though he could be on the trading block this summer. I still think Jordan has a chance to be very good, but I'm not sure the triangle offense will ever allow him to reach his full potential.

Sasha Vujacic has played erratically all season but it hasn't bothered me as much because A) he looks as though he's trying to correct his mistakes and B) his role on the team has changed. I'm still confident that when the Lakers need him to perform, he'll be up to the task.

Does anyone else miss Ronny Turiaf? After Drew's injury we got a little taste of what Josh Powell could bring to the table and at the time he looked really good. For a month or two I thought he was equal or possibly better than Ronny Turiaf. Now that he's become a part of our regular rotation though, his faults have begun to show. He's a poor finisher, has a low basketball IQ, isn't a great defender, and seems to juggle a lot of passes that come his way.
2 Legit 2 Quit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:18 PM   #12
gts
Sons of Antartica

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Legit 2 Quit
Does anyone else miss Ronny Turiaf? After Drew's injury we got a little taste of what Josh Powell could bring to the table and at the time he looked really good. For a month or two I thought he was equal or possibly better than Ronny Turiaf. Now that he's become a part of our regular rotation though, his faults have begun to show. He's a poor finisher, has a low basketball IQ, isn't a great defender, and seems to juggle a lot of passes that come his way.
i'll give powell more time.. early on he looked good because it was mostly garbage time.it's easy to look good then...
in the rotation his lack of knowledge of the system and teammates is exposed more and i think that's what we are seeing now.. with a second camp under his belt i'm sure his play will look alot better...
Old 04-04-2009, 10:12 PM   #13
2 Legit 2 Quit

I found this article on another Lakers' forum and I thought you guys might be interested in what this guy had to say.

Jordan Farmar will eventually become the greatest championship point guard Phil Jackson has ever coached.

But before you pick up your rotten tomatoes consider this:

No point guard who has ever won an NBA championship under Phil Jackson has ever averaged more than 12.3 points per game (BJ Armstrong-93) or 4.4 assists per game (D. Fish-01) or 1.3 steals per game (R. Harper-96 and 98 ).

In fact, the average championship point guard has averaged a very meager 9 ppg, 3 apg and 1 spg over those 9 seasons.

This year, Fisher is averaging 10.7 ppg, 3.5 apg and 1.2 spg on Phil’s way to his 10th.

But don’t hate the player. Hate the game plan.

In those same 9 seasons, only 5 point guards averaged more than 25 minutes per game. Almost half the time, they were sharring time in offensive/defensive splits (see: Paxson/Armstrong and Harper/Kerr).

Even more revealing is the fact that the starting point guard on each of those 9 championship squads was, on average, the 6th highest paid player on the team. Obviously, he wasn’t a priority.

Quite simply, these teams were built around guys like Jordan, Pippen, Shaq and Kobe who commanded their weight in stats and salaries.

The point guard was in name only. A place holder. He didn’t have a position as much as a role.

And that role within the triangle and amongst those stars wasn’t easy to learn. Armstrong didn’t start until his fourth season. Paxson started his fourth year, then lost his position, then regained it in his 7th season before winning 3 consecutive titles. Kerr didn’t find his comfort zone until his 7th season when he led the league in 3-point shooting which was a year before his first championship season. Harper was in his 9th season when he came to the Bulls.

Jordan Farmer is midway thru his 3rd year.

In only 18 minutes per game, he is averaging 7.3 ppg, 2.5 apg, 1 spg.

Warts, turnovers and declining field goal percentage all duly considered, Farmer isn’t that far off from being the average starting point guard in the Phil Jackson mold. And he’s only a sub.

Give him time.

Understand that the Lakers are salary strapped for the length of Kobe’s career (at $25m +). Gasol has two more years after this one (at $17m). Bynum just signed for a half-decade (at $10m +). Odom isn’t free (think $9 or $10m). Ariza deserves a raise ($5m). Sasha already got one ($5m). Walton is an albatross ($5m). The cap this year is almost $59m. You’ve got $76m above with no point guard.

Jordan Farmer is making $1million this year. He’s due $1.9 next year. His qualifying offer in two years is $2.8 million.

In capability and cap space, he fits. Just like the point guards before him.

Between now and then, he will become the Laker starter. He will learn what Armstrong did before him and prove capable of running the triangle. He will flourish in open areas created by superior teammates just like Paxson and Kerr. He will pick and choose his moments like Fisher and Harper.

He will, unlike any of those other players, beat his man off the dribble, create in the open floor and carry a chip on his shoulder from opening tip to final buzzer.

He will jump over, run past and stare down any and all of Phil’s other championship point guards.

There will come a time in the very near future when Jordan Farmer will go from being the starting point guard for the LA City prep champions to the hometown NCAA runner ups to the NBA title holders for your Los Angeles Lakers. And he’ll play a consistently bigger role doing it than any other Phil Jackson point guard before him.

note: source edited out by mods

I agree with this guy. Jordan's still young and has shown a lot of promise. Point guard is one of the toughest positions to learn in the NBA and Jordan has shown flashes of brilliance. PATIENCE!

Last edited by SoCalMike : 04-04-2009 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:17 PM   #14
SoCalMike

just as a note of ettiquette, ISH does not want competing boards being referenced here as they are "competition" to this site. the laker forum mods respect this and support it, so i respectfully removed your website link above... i hope you understand. the board admins have been known to perma-ban folks that promote other sites and we don't want that happening here.

thanks!

Old 04-04-2009, 10:18 PM   #15
2 Legit 2 Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
just as a note of ettiquette, ISH does not want competing boards being referenced here as they are "competition" to this site. the laker forum mods respect this and support it, so i respectfully removed your website link above... i hope you understand. the board admins have been known to perma-ban folks that promote other sites and we don't want that happening here.

thanks!

Good to know. Thanks for the warning.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: