Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Dallas Mavericks Forum

Dallas Mavericks Forum Dallas Mavericks message board - mavs message board - dallas mavericks fan forum

Old 04-10-2009, 05:30 PM   #1
Hoopman2612
I BALL Hard

Hoopman2612 has an OK reputation so far
Default Dirk For MVP

Since all of the Mavericks homers on this site disappeared after their upset against Golden State a few years ago, I have to give Dirk a big up for carrying his weak team to the Playoffs.

Nobody else realizes how bad the Mavericks really are and Dirk has been the main contributor this season as they reach the Playoffs.

March:
26.1 PPG 8.6 RPG 3.1 APG

April:
31 PPG 6.3 RPG 2.0 APG

Hes still going to be remembered as a choker but hes really stepped up to get this team a 1st Round exit in Los Angeles.
Hoopman2612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 05:40 PM   #2
iTruWarrior
Banned

iTruWarrior has a near all-star reputation hereiTruWarrior has a near all-star reputation hereiTruWarrior has a near all-star reputation hereiTruWarrior has a near all-star reputation hereiTruWarrior has a near all-star reputation hereiTruWarrior has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Dirk For MVP

Dwight has had the best stats for a big man all season and he's not even in the conversation of Kobe, Wade and LeBron. Why would Dirk get in? Especially when his team is not playing that well this year?
iTruWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 05:42 PM   #3
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Dirk has been pretty big this season and it has really gone unnoticed embark of Lebron, Kobe and Wade. But he really stepped it up to end strong and to clinch a playoff spot. He has come up big in big games and stepped up when needed. He will never let losing 4 in a row in the finals or getting bumped in the 1st round by an 8th seed, but he really is a special player and is a warrior
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:08 PM   #4
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Best Power Forward in the NBA.

Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:11 PM   #5
miles berg
MFFL

miles berg is considered somewhat coolmiles berg is considered somewhat cool

It's a shame because Kobe Bryant has choked just as much, if not more, than Dirk over the years and is given a free pass by many fans whereas it defines Dirk. But, in reality, Dirk & Kobe have both accomplished basically the same things; a Finals appearance (and loss) and a MVP. Dirk has to go 3-1 in the last four for Dallas to reach their 9th straight 50 win season and they just clinched their 9th straight playoff birth. He is on his 4th PG in this era (Nash, Terry, Devin Harris, Kidd), 2nd #2 option (Fin then Josh), has never had a great or even good C, his 4th dominant 6th man (Nick Van Exel, Antawn Jamison, Jerry Stackhouse, Jason Terry), and 3rd coach (Don Nelson, Avery Johnson, Rick Carlisle).

My point is that there has been a ton of change in Dallas over the years, they lost a future 2 time MVP for nothing, he just walked, no compensation, yet the one constant through all the change has been Dirk Nowitzki. He should get alot more credit than he actually does, alot of teams struggle with the changing of the guard (The Lakers after Shaq were in the lottery with Kobe, the Heat were in the lottery with Wade for a year too), but Dirk has kept them competitive for a decade straight.

He isnt the MVP, obviously it is LeBron James, but he should be in the discussion with Tim Duncan for that 1st team All NBA spot this year.
miles berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:16 PM   #6
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles berg
It's a shame because Kobe Bryant has choked just as much, if not more, than Dirk over the years and is given a free pass by many fans whereas it defines Dirk. But, in reality, Dirk & Kobe have both accomplished basically the same things; a Finals appearance (and loss) and a MVP. Dirk has to go 3-1 in the last four for Dallas to reach their 9th straight 50 win season and they just clinched their 9th straight playoff birth. He is on his 4th PG in this era (Nash, Terry, Devin Harris, Kidd), 2nd #2 option (Fin then Josh), has never had a great or even good C, his 4th dominant 6th man (Nick Van Exel, Antawn Jamison, Jerry Stackhouse, Jason Terry), and 3rd coach (Don Nelson, Avery Johnson, Rick Carlisle).

My point is that there has been a ton of change in Dallas over the years, they lost a future 2 time MVP for nothing, he just walked, no compensation, yet the one constant through all the change has been Dirk Nowitzki. He should get alot more credit than he actually does, alot of teams struggle with the changing of the guard (The Lakers after Shaq were in the lottery with Kobe, the Heat were in the lottery with Wade for a year too), but Dirk has kept them competitive for a decade straight.

He isnt the MVP, obviously it is LeBron James, but he should be in the discussion with Tim Duncan for that 1st team All NBA spot this year.
Valid points.

It seems that people are always looking for a reason to criticize Dirk. I've been guilty of this in the past. He is an easy target, but I'm not even sure why. I guess his European style of play leads people to believe that he is soft, physically and mentally.

The truth is, he has been consistently elite for a good many years now and he should get more love from the media and fans alike.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:28 PM   #7
sharpshooter88
Can barely lace up my sneakers

sharpshooter88 has an OK reputation so far

Dirk has been having a great couple months, but he's not MVP status with Lebron and Kobe. Truthfully, i want Dirk to win tho, he's been tite since he played for the world in the Nike Hoops Summit.

The 2009 Nike Hoops Summit is Tomorrow April 11, 2009 at 7 pm on FSN or live on webcast at: http://nikehoopssummit.rivals.com.

check out the roster and this sick trailer at http://www.youtube.com.com/nikehoopsummit

It's time for the new Top High School players of the nation to take on the world!
sharpshooter88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:43 PM   #8
Biddy77
Keyless' gimmick acct

Biddy77 has a terrific reputationBiddy77 has a terrific reputationBiddy77 has a terrific reputationBiddy77 has a terrific reputationBiddy77 has a terrific reputationBiddy77 has a terrific reputation

*great* post, miles.

dirk is one of those funny guys to me... he's got great production, but he's one of the few guys i can think of whose basketball identity is "scorer", but whose impact goes beyond his scoring production.

to explain:

dirk's combination of size, skill set, and play style are incredibly valuable, because he frequently forces teams out of their standard defenses. where a lot of players (dirk included) are mismatches for some/many/all individual defenders, Dirk is fairly unique in that he's kind of an automatic mismatch for entire team defenses/schemes. the same way some perimeter players--like wade, cp3, etc--can disrupt offenses, dirk disrupts defenses.

it's really hard to explain exactly what i mean by that, but it's definitely the feeling i've had watching him over his career. devensive schemes just don't play out against dirk the way they do against other players. the question is rarely "how well did ____ contain him?" it's "how was he shooting that night?"--because a lot of times, defenses don't really impact his shooting. he's just hitting, or he's not.

bleh.

i haven't done a good job of explaining this, but if anyone sees what i'm getting at, and wants to help me out by explaining it better, please do so. just got off work, and i'm a little fried mentally.
Biddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:46 PM   #9
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Cuban needs to retool this Dallas team in the off-season. Trade Kidd's expiring contract to the Suns for Nash and J-rich. Phoenix gets rid of contracts and gets to rebuild dallas can throw in a 1st round pick also.

Nash
Jrich
Howard
Dirk
Erika
With Terry, Barrea of the bench
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:49 PM   #10
nbastatus
Doodle

nbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopman2612
Since all of the Mavericks homers on this site disappeared after their upset against Golden State a few years ago, I have to give Dirk a big up for carrying his weak team to the Playoffs.

Nobody else realizes how bad the Mavericks really are and Dirk has been the main contributor this season as they reach the Playoffs.

March:
26.1 PPG 8.6 RPG 3.1 APG

April:
31 PPG 6.3 RPG 2.0 APG

Hes still going to be remembered as a choker but hes really stepped up to get this team a 1st Round exit in Los Angeles.
deserve a trophy for caring his team to the 8th spot
and his team is not weak.
nbastatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:54 PM   #11
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbastatus
deserve a trophy for caring his team to the 8th spot
and his team is not weak.

His team is very weak. Kidd is old, Terry is a undersized combo guard who just shoots, Stackhouse is garbage, Dampier is garbage, Barrea is short, Diop is just Diop......
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:12 PM   #12
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

Id like to preface this post by saying yes...I do love a demoralizing run-on sentence.

In the grand scheme of things...what does winning 50 games and losing 9 years in a row even mean?

Its not competitive to be fighting to get out of the 8th seed spot to put off a virtually assured first round exit(since the Mavs themselves are not the epic record having #1 seed I doubt there is an upset). Being in the playoffs doesnt make you competitive.

More often than not it makes you the bad end of 45 second long clip on the first round series win in someone elses champion DVD where at best....they show your team make a three and change the pace of the music to create mock drama for kids that dont know what happened who are watching the video on a tuesday afternoon on ESPN 6 in 2022.

Doesnt really matter if youre decent but in the end irrelevant every year. The Heat as you said were out of the playoffs last year. Wade was hurt half the season and they played the equal of two full teams due to injury(they played 22 people last season). And with 15 wins they played their last game like a week and 2 days before the Mavs played theirs.

I bet some of the Mavs got to their summer homes before some of the Heat.

A young upcoming team in need of the experience for growth? Playoffs are nice. 50 wins shows promise. For a team led by a soon to be 30 yearold whos second best player is....36? A 50 win first round(or second....or 3rd for that matter) round loss season is just putting off for another day the rebuild that has to arrive for the greater good.

Mavs, Suns, and Pistons are just irrelevant and nothing they do can really have a positive impact. Winning 50 just doesnt mean much of anything. It matters like the Hornets winning 50 a few times with Glen rice mattered. It...."Thats....mildly impressive" matters. Just makes you the team a smug internet poster struggles to remember 10 years later for the sake of a possibly more harsh than needed reference.

Last edited by Kblaze8855 : 04-10-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:27 PM   #13
Grinder

Grinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
His team is very weak. Kidd is old, Terry is a undersized combo guard who just shoots, Stackhouse is garbage, Dampier is garbage, Barrea is short, Diop is just Diop......

Diop plays for the Bobcats.

Dirk's supporting cast is definitely one of the weaker ones in the West.

Kobe has Gasol, Odom and Bynum.
Melo has Billups, JR Smith and Nenê
Yao has Artest, Scola and Battier
Roy has Aldridge, and a great bench
Duncan has Parker and Mason (Manu has been out too often)
Paul has West, Chandler, and Butler has been playing well
Williams has Millsap, Okur, Boozer, Kirilenko, a deep bench (when healthy)

Dirk just has Jason Kidd, a shadow of his former self, an often injured and streaky Josh Howard as his second option, and Jason Terry and Juan Barea as his role players.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:49 PM   #14
Al Thornton
the mind is so complex

Al Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron23
Best Power Forward in the NBA.

Agreed. When you're on a bad-decent team though you get overlooked.
Al Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:00 PM   #15
godofgods
Banned

godofgods has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles berg

This. Dirk >>>>>>>>> Kobe but since he's white, he doesn't get the credit he deserves.
godofgods is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: