Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 04-12-2009, 09:25 PM   #1
sixerfan82
College star

Default There are no games out now that I like...

..so, I decided to take $100 to the store and literally look for something that might look decent.

My eyes caught Dead Space, Fallout 3, and Killzone 2

Other than that, Resident Evil 5 is close, but beyond that there is nothing decent that I'd even bother to play.

I'm waiting for Batman, Ghostbusters, Uncharted 2, Prototype, and Splatterhouse

Someone explain to me why Fallout 3 and Killzone aren't your average shooter, maybe I just need a 2nd opinion
sixerfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:38 AM   #2
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

Default Re: There are no games out now that I like...

Nothing really good out now.

Next game I'm buying is UFC: Undisputed in May.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
Rockbttm88
There is no dark side

You'll need a LOT of time if you wanna do everything in Fallout. And its not really a shooter at all. You can play that way if you like, but you wont get very far. It's pretty fun overall though, you just need to like rpg's at least a little bit.

I agree about no good games being out. I went back to GTA4 to get 100% while I wait for NBA 2K10
Rockbttm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:10 PM   #4
SayTownRy
Regular Season Team

we're in the slow season for game releases right now. there should be a nice surge as summer hits, but the heavy hitters are all reserved for next oct, nov, dec...

next one i'm watching out for is the conduit for wii
SayTownRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:12 PM   #5
Al Thornton
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockbttm88
You'll need a LOT of time if you wanna do everything in Fallout. And its not really a shooter at all. You can play that way if you like, but you wont get very far. It's pretty fun overall though, you just need to like rpg's at least a little bit.

I agree about no good games being out. I went back to GTA4 to get 100% while I wait for NBA 2K10

Yeah Fallout is not even a shooter really it's very similar to Oblivion, also by Betheseda. Open world RPG. It's an incredible game. Killzone is pretty fun, mainly the multiplayer from what I've played and Dead Space is ****ing great. Survival Horror similar to Resident Evil, but more scares.
Al Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:13 PM   #6
Al Thornton
Banned

Also check out Riddick Assault on Dark Athena. Its 2 games in that **** plus multiplayer, thats real talk. Don't forget Infamous that **** looks insane, its from the guys who made Sly Cooper on the PS2.
Al Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:33 PM   #7
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

Fallout 3 isn't a shooter as the shooting mechanics aren't solid enough to be able to play like an FPS full time. You'd be better off using VATS.

Killzone 2 is a pretty good game, one of the few shooters which I enjoyed playing. One word which describes the playing experience on Campaign mode is INTENSE.

I finished Killzone 2 in one week and RE5 in one week as well. I need to slow down on games. Better yet, I need a decent RPG to kill hours with.

I tried to play GTA4 again but I got bored with running errands and taking Packie to play pool.

Where are all the RPGs!!!!!!! (And no I don't mean the open world thing of Oblivion and Fallout)

FRANCHISES MISSING IN ACTION
1. Final Fantasy
2. Kingdom Hearts
3. Xenogears
4. Dark Cloud
5. Secret of Mana
6. Rogue Galaxy
7. Suikoden

JAPANESE RPG'S WHERE ARE YOU?
gasolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:01 PM   #8
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasolina

Where are all the RPGs!!!!!!! (And no I don't mean the open world thing of Oblivion and Fallout)

FRANCHISES MISSING IN ACTION
1. Final Fantasy
2. Kingdom Hearts
3. Xenogears
4. Dark Cloud
5. Secret of Mana
6. Rogue Galaxy
7. Suikoden

JAPANESE RPG'S WHERE ARE YOU?

It's all about MMO's now (PC). All the Japanese (and other Asisan countries) are playing online PC games like WoW, Warhammer, ROTK Online, Lineage, Aion, Darkfall, etc.

There is even a backlash in the industry right now because of how many MMO's are being released out of Asia. Ever since WoW went big, everyone and their mom's are trying to cash in.

The first company to bring a game like WoW to a console is going to break the bank. I can't believe it hasn't happened yet.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:01 PM   #9
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
The first company to bring a game like WoW to a console is going to break the bank. I can't believe it hasn't happened yet.

Wasn't Final Fantasy XI the first MMORPG on consoles?
Old 04-14-2009, 08:12 PM   #10
KeylessEntry
I'm on the moon

Recent PS3 releases have left something to be desired.

Killzone is ok once you master the infuratingly slow controls. It gets boring faster than other older shooters like COD4.

Resident Evil 5 was a cool game... all 6 hours of it. I am glad I only rented RE5 because beating a survival style game should take a lot longer than 6 hours.

Fallout 3 is the only semi recent game I have thouroughly enjoyed. It has so much depth, and I really like the action/rpg feeling. If you like playing creepy games, this game is much more scary than RE5.
KeylessEntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:29 AM   #11
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeylessEntry
Fallout 3 is the only semi recent game I have thouroughly enjoyed. It has so much depth, and I really like the action/rpg feeling. If you like playing creepy games, this game is much more scary than RE5.

IMO Fallout is a pretty nice game. And the great thing about it is it immerses you to the world laid out on you. I'd prefer Oblivion though, maybe because walking in a wasteland isn't the most enjoyable thing to do.

If only Oblivion / Fallout made character development much better, and also allow you to form a party.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:41 AM   #12
Guy10
Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote:

Wasn't Phantasy Star Online before FFXI?

In any event, I thought FFXI was a major failure unless you knew x amount of people that played the game. Not only that, but they mixed Japanese players who had been playing the game for over a year with English players when it first released, so the majority of people couldn't ****ing talk to each other. It was the dumbest release I've ever witnessed.
Guy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:49 AM   #13
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

Quote:

Final Fantasy Online is actually a more 'hardcore' game compared to World of Warcraft. Also, if I'm not mistaken, FF Online still isn't out on PS3. Poeple are still playing FF XI on PS2, or porting it to PS3.

The key to WoW is its ease of play. So easy, that a 45 year old mother of 2, who never plays video games, can enjoy playing in a virtual world.

What most people don't understand is that WoW actually took a step back in the development of MMO's. By completing 'dumbing the game down' so anyone can play, WoW was able to tap into a market of 'casual' gamers MMO's never thought they could attract.

I'm currently playing Darkfall: a full-loot, kill anyone, and build your own cities MMO all combined with a FPS combat system.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:41 PM   #14
Rockbttm88
There is no dark side

The original Everquest was the sh*t. I stopped playing around the time of the Lost Dungeons of Norrath expansion, but I had a few fun years playing it.

People forget how much WoW stole from EQ and how much of a juggernaut EQ was in its prime. It was really the first MMO to break into the mainstream and cause a controversy for its level of addiction.

But to get the thread back on track, here's what I'm playing now:

Xbox: GTA4, NBA 2K9
PSP: GTA Liberty City Stories, Resistance: Retribution, Virtua Tennis
Wii: Rayman Raving Rabbids 2

...and I'm pretty much bored with all of them except GTA4. There's honestly not a single game coming out in the near future that I'm super excited about. The only game I'm really tracking is FFXIII.
Rockbttm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:46 PM   #15
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

I'm thinking of grabbing Valkyria Chronicles. But it's not an RPG, its a strategy game.....

Oh well
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: