Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-19-2009, 02:05 AM   #1
JtotheIzzo
Cavs eh? Ok then!

JtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Chinese People Need to be Controlled

this according to Jackie Chan.

Quote:
Action star Jackie Chan grew up in Hong Kong's freewheeling society, but he said Saturday that too much freedom isn't good and he's starting to think "we Chinese need to be controlled."

Chan's comments drew applause from an audience of business leaders on China's southern island province of Hainan.

http://www.3news.co.nz/Home/Story/ta...1/Default.aspx
(link may change, search 'Jackie' Chan on the main page if so)
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:09 AM   #2
vapid
Paranoid Android

vapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Chinese People Need to be Controlled

This is Jackie Chan who is talking, not some academic/politician. His opinion should only be taken as far as any other average chinese citizen.
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:17 AM   #3
JtotheIzzo
Cavs eh? Ok then!

JtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapid
This is Jackie Chan who is talking, not some academic/politician. His opinion should only be taken as far as any other average chinese citizen.

I would say less so. The guy truly is a retard.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:24 AM   #4
vapid
Paranoid Android

vapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
Well yea. He didn't get a proper education, got sold to be a theatre performer as a kid.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:38 AM   #5
D-Shark

There is a small amount of truth to what he is saying though.

I'm not saying specifically the Chinese, I'm speaking for the human race in general.

You have to think of it in terms of a parent letting his child do whatever the hell he wants to do.

And if you think you have rights, or freedom... Let George Carlin break it down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tWu045T7K0
George Carlin on Rights

at the ending.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:39 AM   #6
wTFaMonkey
RP 4 lyfe

wTFaMonkey is considered somewhat coolwTFaMonkey is considered somewhat coolwTFaMonkey is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo

wTFaMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:24 AM   #7
shawbryant
To be better

shawbryant is a pretty well-respected postershawbryant is a pretty well-respected postershawbryant is a pretty well-respected poster

Actually in China, the majority of the kids are doing what their parents planned for them. When you are 5or even 4years old, you have to learn English even you can't recognize or write one Chinese character. when you grow up then you have to learn painting or playing instruments during weekends. IMO, some kids in China lack of freedom b/c the parents put so much hope and burden on their shoulders. That's why Chinese young kids alway win many academic competition over the rest of the world but yet there's no university being able to be ranked in top 100 in the world.
shawbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:32 AM   #8
gencbiba
Very good NBA starter

gencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Well he's technically right. Not everyone has the will to control their desires. Not everyone has a strong sense of good-will. Some people need religion to behave well, and some people need a strict government to behave well. So yes, he is right.

Too much freedom will get you obese losers like in the US.
gencbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:38 AM   #9
vapid
Paranoid Android

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawbryant
Actually in China, the majority of the kids are doing what their parents planned for them. When you are 5or even 4years old, you have to learn English even you can't recognize or write one Chinese character. when you grow up then you have to learn painting or playing instruments during weekends. IMO, some kids in China lack of freedom b/c the parents put so much hope and burden on their shoulders. That's why Chinese young kids alway win many academic competition over the rest of the world but yet there's no university being able to be ranked in top 100 in the world.
Its called brain drain. The smart kids go to the US, UK, etc. When you're a kid, you should be controlled to some extent, and pushed to test your talents. But Chan is spewing crap about the Chinese people as a whole, and saying stuff like Taiwan/HK are more chaotic. Well Jackie, maybe thats because they aren't controlled by an authoritarian government well versed in propaganda. (well at least hk citizens are not used to it.)
Old 04-19-2009, 04:51 AM   #10
shawbryant
To be better

shawbryant is a pretty well-respected postershawbryant is a pretty well-respected postershawbryant is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Its called brain drain. The smart kids go to the US, UK, etc. When you're a kid, you should be controlled to some extent, and pushed to test your talents. But Chan is spewing crap about the Chinese people as a whole, and saying stuff like Taiwan/HK are more chaotic. Well Jackie, maybe thats because they aren't controlled by an authoritarian government well versed in propaganda. (well at least hk citizens are not used to it.)
No, you are not familiar with chinese education and society. Not the smart children immigrant abroad but the ones who have a powerful or wealthy background. I adore Jackie Chan cuz he's not only a famous action star over the world but also a real patriot.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:55 AM   #11
vapid
Paranoid Android

Quote:
No, you are not familiar with chinese education and society. Not the smart children immigrant abroad but the ones who have a powerful or wealthy background. I adore Jackie Chan cuz he's not only a famous action star over the world but also a real patriot.
I'm familiar with chinese education and society. My dad's family is from Shandong my mom's is from Fujian but they were born in Taiwan. I know a few powerful/wealthy ones, and they are educated in Western Universities.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:06 AM   #12
shawbryant
To be better

Quote:
I'm familiar with chinese education and society. My dad's family is from Shandong my mom's is from Fujian but they were born in Taiwan. I know a few powerful/wealthy ones, and they are educated in Western Universities.
Ok, you are ABC, yes somehow chinese blood inside your body.That makes sense. Are you being a Rockets fan because of Yao or somewhat you live in Houston?
However saying the smart kids go to western countries is still not logical. I don't think the rest of the kids staying in China are not as smart as the westen kids though I admit the big gap of higher education between China and Western countries.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:11 AM   #13
shawbryant
To be better

BTW, when I tried to rep you, this message appeared.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to vapid again.
Why?
Old 04-19-2009, 05:11 AM   #14
vapid
Paranoid Android

Quote:
Ok, you are ABC, yes somehow chinese blood inside your body.That makes sense. Are you being a Rockets fan because of Yao or somewhat you live in Houston?
However saying the smart kids go to western countries is still not logical. I don't think the rest of the kids staying in China are not as smart as the westen kids though I admit the big gap of higher education between China and Western countries.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6356101.stm
"China suffers from the worst brain drain in the world."

I've started liking the rockets as a kid because I watched Hakeem and thought he was amazing.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:12 AM   #15
vapid
Paranoid Android

Quote:
BTW, when I tried to rep you, this message appeared.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to vapid again.
Why?
Thanks for trying to rep. You need to rep others first before you rep me I guess.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: