Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 04-22-2009, 09:44 PM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default 6-11 HS junior Jeremy Tyler leaves school to play in Israel

The New York Times (Pete Thamel) reports: Jeremy Tyler, a 6-foot-11 high school junior whom some consider the best American big man since Greg Oden, says he will be taking a new path to the N.B.A. He has left San Diego High School and said this week that he would skip his senior year to play professionally in Europe. Tyler, 17, would become the first United States-born player to leave high school early to play professionally overseas. He is expected to return in two years, when he is projected to be a top pick, if not the No. 1 pick, in the 2011 N.B.A. draft. Tyler, who had orally committed to play for Rick Pitino at Louisville, has yet to sign with an agent or a professional team. His likely destination is Spain, though teams from other European leagues have shown interest. A spokesman for Louisville said the university could not comment about Tyler.
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:46 PM   #2
ILballa
Hemp Coach

ILballa has a near all-star reputation hereILballa has a near all-star reputation hereILballa has a near all-star reputation hereILballa has a near all-star reputation hereILballa has a near all-star reputation hereILballa has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: 6-11 HS junior Jeremy Tyler leaves school to play pro ball in Europe

Damn. That's crazy.
ILballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:49 PM   #3
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: 6-11 HS junior Jeremy Tyler leaves school to play pro ball in Europe

So if he never makes the NBA and doesn't have millions to live off of after his playing days, he won't even have a high school diploma to fall back on. Great.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:51 PM   #4
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Chances are he will maintain a spot on a Euro team if he doesn't go to the league making good money. He can get an education overseas and be much better off than most of us.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:02 PM   #5
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

Good luck I guess.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:25 PM   #6
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Chances are he will maintain a spot on a Euro team if he doesn't go to the league making good money. He can get an education overseas and be much better off than most of us.

I kinda doubt he'll get an education overseas. If he wanted one, he would've at least finished high school. I mean, that has to be the bare minimum of educational standards these days.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:57 PM   #7
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I don't think his opportunities are going to change much based on not getting a diploma.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:59 PM   #8
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here

A high school diploma is worthless. It's only useful to get into college.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:23 PM   #9
marqui78
Can barely lace up my sneakers

marqui78 has an OK reputation so far

Actually he's being home schooled. Plus he will take some classes online. He just a two year degree. I think he's hands down the best player in America. He will play in the ACB league in Spain. That league produced both Gasols, Rubio, Noc, Navarro, Jorge, and Jose Cal. If he can make it there then he worth the #1 pick.
marqui78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:28 PM   #10
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I saw him play a few times last summer, and he is impressive. He's a big who actually plays like one. He does have some face up shooting game too, although I didn't think his handle was as good as it was touted to be. Although I just saw some summer league stuff.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:22 PM   #11
A.M.G.
Dr. Chim Richalds

A.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputation

Jennings set the precedent, I suppose, and Tyler is pushing it one step further, not even finishing high-school. I guess he can't wait two and a half years to start getting paid.

I really don't know if this is a good decision for Tyler, for several reasons:

- I'm not sure that Euroleague coaches are as good at developing players as top American college coaches, especially for the American style of game, which is decidedly different than the European game.

- he'll have to learn another language, you have to hope he realizes that.

- Euroleague stats tend to be deflated. I think the highest scorer in the whole shabang is scoring like 20 ppg. There aren't many big time players who dominate it's a team game, not star-oriented. Just look at Brandon Jennings' numbers, I don't even think he (arguably the top American high school player in his class) was scoring in double digits, whereas he definitely would have been in the NCAA. And big men, even good ones, tend to score less than guards in Euroleague. So Tyler's numbers will look far less impressive than they would if he played American college ball.

- playing in Euroleague, besides deflating his stats, will remove him from the American public eye. Americans watch and attend NBA games, and buy NBA merchandise. They also watch NCAA Division 1 games. They do NOT watch Euroleague. American audiences will forget about him for a while, which can really hurt your hype for the NBA draft.

- it will also remove him from the eye and mind of many NBA scouts and to a greater extent NBA GMs. If their franchise's fans don't care about the player because he's in Euroleague rather than NCAA, the GM might be less inclined to draft him. And it is more inconvenient for scouts to go and see him. Now, if Tyler is THAT good, being out of the American public eye won't hurt him much, if at all. But if he is average in Euroleague, the lack of hype will hurt him, much like it probably did for Jennings a bit, who could be a higher draft pick among NBA GMs if he'd been tearing it up at Arizona instead of being tucked away in Italy.

- EUROLEAGUE PLAYERS ARE PROFESSIONALS. THEY ARE VERY, VERY GOOD BASKETBALL PLAYERS. AND THEY AREN"T GOING TO HAVE ANY MERCY ON SOME AMERICAN KID. So Tyler had better really be good, because he's going to be going up against much better competition than he would be in NCAA ball. American college players would be in his age group, and he would be bigger and better than most of them, allowing him to dominate. Euroleague players will be older and far more experienced, and just as big as him. If you think Greg Oden, or Michael Beasley, or Blake Griffin would have dominated in Euroleague like they did in college, you are dead wrong. And Jeremy Tyler won't dominate in Euroleague like he would in college either.
A.M.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:50 PM   #12
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

Scoop Jackson reported that there were some sort of shadiness going on with the school and the coaches were all fired. I read somewhere else that it may have been the way they were recruiting its players, I don't know what that may mean though.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:06 PM   #13
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
- it will also remove him from the eye and mind of many NBA scouts and to a greater extent NBA GMs. If their franchise's fans don't care about the player because he's in Euroleague rather than NCAA, the GM might be less inclined to draft him. And it is more inconvenient for scouts to go and see him. Now, if Tyler is THAT good, being out of the American public eye won't hurt him much, if at all. But if he is average in Euroleague, the lack of hype will hurt him, much like it probably did for Jennings a bit, who could be a higher draft pick among NBA GMs if he'd been tearing it up at Arizona instead of being tucked away in Italy.

This argument holds absolutely no weight anymore, and has not held any weight for years.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:22 PM   #14
WhySoInsecure?
ILL WILL RUNS NYC

WhySoInsecure? is considered somewhat coolWhySoInsecure? is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three
Scoop Jackson reported that there were some sort of shadiness going on with the school and the coaches were all fired. I read somewhere else that it may have been the way they were recruiting its players, I don't know what that may mean though.
they mentioned it in a new york times article. 3 coaches got fired for recruiting players to the schools. the kids weren't eligible so the next biggest guy on his team was 6'2. his team went 16-11 this season, he put up 28per game.
WhySoInsecure? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:51 PM   #15
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three

My buddy is a teacher there and was an assistant golf coach. I'll ask him. That's how I saw the kid in the first place.

I still think there's an inherent risk in going overseas. I said it when Jennings went. As has been mentioned, the game is simply different. And combined with the cultural changes that you have to adapt to, and the fact you're playing with professional men, even if you don't think their skill level is up to par, that all makes it next to impossible to shine. And the trick to recruiting is leaving as much up to the imagination as possible. As far as your draft stock goes, you'd be better off dominating a Juco or even Prep school level than even playing well in the euro leagues. Even the americans over there are considered has beens or never were's, and there's little chance a high school kid will be able to hang with that level of grown man along with all the other adjustments.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: