Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Miami Heat Forum

Miami Heat Forum Miami Heat forum - miami heat message board

Old 04-23-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....

Default Will the Heat sign anyone in the '09 offseason?

With the trade for Jermaine O'Neal it set the Heat's primary goal on acquiring a superstar in 2010, but what about the meanwhile? After the trade, it locks the Heat in for $69.5M next season before they re-sign anyone (Moon, Magloire & Anthony are the only FAs) .

The luxury tax will likely be set around $72M so does that really give the Heat any room to manuever?

They really need a starting or backup PG. And IMO need to re-sign atleast Magloire. They could possibly get away with letting Moon go if he wants more than minimum since they already have Jones & Wright.

Some affordable guys who I'd like to see the Heat go after and their worth, in order of priority:

1. Raymond Felton - Full MLE
2. Nate Robinson - Full MLE
3. Jarrett Jack - MLE
4. Flip Murray - $2M
5. Bobby Jackson - $2M
beasted86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:59 PM   #2
lil baller
wade=mvp

Default Re: Will the Heat sign anyone in the '09 offseason?

i would like us to get Chris Anderson because he is a good energy guy/loves to play defense and he is also a fan favorite

if he take less maybe rasheed wallace?

matt barns i think is great for us(cheap guy who plays good d and can shoot the long ball and he also moves without the ball)
lil baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil baller
i would like us to get Chris Anderson because he is a good energy guy/loves to play defense and he is also a fan favorite

if he take less maybe rasheed wallace?

matt barns i think is great for us(cheap guy who plays good d and can shoot the long ball and he also moves without the ball)
Well big men usually cost more than guards... and besides Denver would be stupid to let Andersen go, as well as Sheed said he wants to play out his career in Detroit. Barnes would be a good role player for the heat, but I'm not sure he'd be available this summer, or that Phoenix would let him go.

One other option is a rental on Grant Hill. He can handle the ball and play some point guard duty, while providing some veteran leadership for a year or two. But your always going to gamble when signing a 35 yr old. That's kind of why I suggested more young players than vets in my priority list.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:43 AM   #4
Lord Leoshes
Local High School Star

Only players willing to sing one year contracts will be signed. If Moon, & Magloir come back for one year at around the min, then that would take care of 2, of our 3 needs in the summer. The 3rd being a back up PG. Hopefully we can get lucky & snag one in the 2nd round.

If any of you are expecting us to sign a good starting caliber player this summer, Don't hold your breath.
Lord Leoshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:57 PM   #5
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Leoshes
Only players willing to sing one year contracts will be signed. If Moon, & Magloir come back for one year at around the min, then that would take care of 2, of our 3 needs in the summer. The 3rd being a back up PG. Hopefully we can get lucky & snag one in the 2nd round.

If any of you are expecting us to sign a good starting caliber player this summer, Don't hold your breath.

Well my question was mainly if the Heat were going to make use of the Mid Level Exemption. There are a ton of good MLE calibler point guards available that could make a real good 1-2 punch with Chalmers either as a starter or backup. But like I said above, it would push them into luxury.

But your probably right, I can see them just cheaping out and just going after 3rd tier backup PGs, or just bringing back Head for 1 more season.

Last edited by beasted86 : 04-25-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:34 PM   #6
Lord Leoshes
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasted86
Well my question was mainly if the Heat were going to make use of the Mid Level Exemption. There are a ton of good MLE calibler point guards available that could make a real good 1-2 punch with Chalmers either as a starter or backup. But like I said above, it would push them into luxury.

But your probably right, I can see them just cheaping out and just going after 3rd tier backup PGs, or just bringing back Head for 1 more season.

If Pat thinks we can make a good push in the playoffs (& seeing as we are doing go right now) i think he will go over the cap, but not by that much. & like i said, only for one year contracts, unless we get a star player for pennies on the dollar, but that wont happen.
Lord Leoshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:51 AM   #7
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Leoshes
If Pat thinks we can make a good push in the playoffs (& seeing as we are doing go right now) i think he will go over the cap, but not by that much. & like i said, only for one year contracts, unless we get a star player for pennies on the dollar, but that wont happen.

I'm not talking about a 1 yr deal. The Heat can afford an MLE player and not affect 2010 cap space to sign another superstar alongside Wade.

If the Heat can somehow pry away one of the restricted FA point guards like Nate Robinson (NY is strapped for cash, and can't realistically afford to re-sign both Lee & Robinson), Raymond Felton (Charlotte drafted Augustin and has tried trading Felton before), or Jarrett Jack (plain unlikely, but I can always dream). Then that would be an awesome pick up.

One other crazy idea I was thinking about was if Allen Iverson took the MLE and came to Miami. I really don't see alot of other playoff caliber teams bringing him in, and him still being able to start. On the Heat he would start, give them an additional ball handler, and be another scorer in the starting lineup, while still being hopeful on winning a championship. Maybe the MLE and a 3 yr deal could do it. What do you think?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: