Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Miami Heat Forum

Miami Heat Forum Miami Heat forum - miami heat message board

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2009, 06:31 PM   #1
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....
 
beasted86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: So-Fla PSN:Ghostfaced
Posts: 7,487
Default Heat season over. Plans for next year?

Well the Hawks were too tough an opponent for the Heat to make the second round. But this first round knock out wasn't a complete failure.

1. It got our young players some needed playoff experience
2. They were somewhat competitive... pushing it to a game 7.
3. We saw who stepped up, and what they were capable of in the playoffs.

As for our plans for next year?

PG- It's apparent Chalmers is not good enough to be a starting PG, atleast not yet. I'm sure everyone knows we need another PG, but I don't know which route Riley wants to take. He may go the cheap route and sign a minimum level guy (IE: Luther Head, Bobby Jackson, etc...), he may wait it out for 2010, or he may gamble and use the MLE to bring in an experienced vet. My vote would be to throw all the efforts at Iverson this year for the full MLE @ 3yrs. He can handle, score, provide leadership and experience, and this is one of the handful of teams he would be an automatic starter on, while still being a playoff/title contender.

SG- We all know Wade is back! But to keep him around, we need help off the bench. I don't know if Cook is consistent enough as an answer. He needs to really work on other parts of his game, because he's limited as a spot up shooter. He also needs to work on not letting his offense affect his defense. When his shot is not falling, he tends to lose his intensity on defense.

SF- I'm now content that James Jones was worth the MLE, and can be an effective starting SF. Moon can also fill in as a very solid backup if re-signed, making a decent rotation of fairly young guys, who are effective to go forward. I've given up on Dorrell. After 6 years, he's had enough chances. Trade him.

PF- Haslem & Beasley make up the only legit sound position on the team. It's just going to be interesting to see who ends up as the starter next season.

C- J.O. was effective to close out the playoffs until injured, and finally started to find his role, but needs to stay healthy. Riley also needs to look into getting some insurance. I don't think Joel Anthony & Magloire can fit the bill if J.O. goes out for an extended amount of time. Who can the Heat get at a low cost who will be an upgrade? My choice would be to try and trade Blount for a decent player. In a dream world, I'd trade Blount + the first rounder from Toronto for Nick Collison. He hustles, rebounds, and has a solid jumper. He has 2 more years, extending into the 2010/2011 season, but would be worth it, and we could still afford Bosh/Amare, etc..

This team is just a few pieces away from being an Eastern Finals/ NBA Finals contender.

Last edited by beasted86 : 05-03-2009 at 06:41 PM.
beasted86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:56 PM   #2
lil baller
wade=mvp
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 694
Default Re: Heat season over. Plans for next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasted86
Well the Hawks were too tough an opponent for the Heat to make the second round. But this first round knock out wasn't a complete failure.

1. It got our young players some needed playoff experience
2. They were somewhat competitive... pushing it to a game 7.
3. We saw who stepped up, and what they were capable of in the playoffs.

As for our plans for next year?

PG- It's apparent Chalmers is not good enough to be a starting PG, atleast not yet. I'm sure everyone knows we need another PG, but I don't know which route Riley wants to take. He may go the cheap route and sign a minimum level guy (IE: Luther Head, Bobby Jackson, etc...), he may wait it out for 2010, or he may gamble and use the MLE to bring in an experienced vet. My vote would be to throw all the efforts at Iverson this year for the full MLE @ 3yrs. He can handle, score, provide leadership and experience, and this is one of the handful of teams he would be an automatic starter on, while still being a playoff/title contender.

SG- We all know Wade is back! But to keep him around, we need help off the bench. I don't know if Cook is consistent enough as an answer. He needs to really work on other parts of his game, because he's limited as a spot up shooter. He also needs to work on not letting his offense affect his defense. When his shot is not falling, he tends to lose his intensity on defense.

SF- I'm now content that James Jones was worth the MLE, and can be an effective starting SF. Moon can also fill in as a very solid backup if re-signed, making a decent rotation of fairly young guys, who are effective to go forward. I've given up on Dorrell. After 6 years, he's had enough chances. Trade him.

PF- Haslem & Beasley make up the only legit sound position on the team. It's just going to be interesting to see who ends up as the starter next season.

C- J.O. was effective to close out the playoffs until injured, and finally started to find his role, but needs to stay healthy. Riley also needs to look into getting some insurance. I don't think Joel Anthony & Magloire can fit the bill if J.O. goes out for an extended amount of time. Who can the Heat get at a low cost who will be an upgrade? My choice would be to try and trade Blount for a decent player. In a dream world, I'd trade Blount + the first rounder from Toronto for Nick Collison. He hustles, rebounds, and has a solid jumper. He has 2 more years, extending into the 2010/2011 season, but would be worth it, and we could still afford Bosh/Amare, etc..

This team is just a few pieces away from being an Eastern Finals/ NBA Finals contender.


PG. i would like to try to get bibby but i highly doubt we can and i would throw everything at him that we can

SF. if we cant get bibby i would want to try to get matt barns, he cheap, he hustle, plays good d, and can sometimes make open shots

C. if we cant get bibby then i would also want us to get chris "birdman" anderson...hustle,cheap,good d, fan favorite, wont back down


as you see these are my options and well with blout and quinn why dont we trade him to the knicks for someone who has a contract pass 2010 but also get a unprotected first rounder outta it...we are on a rebuilding team and we dont have a pick when is not good but if we dont like anything in this draft get 2010 pick and this is what i would love for our team to look like

if we get the 2009 pick from knicks

pg.bibby/chalmers
sg.wade/cook
sf.pick in 2009/jones/moon
pf.bealsey/halsem
c.o'neal

as you see that team is a whole lot better but halsem would prolly still start because we would still have no scorer off the bench unless we draft curry with the knicks pick but i dont see bibby coming for just the MLE
lil baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:40 PM   #3
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....
 
beasted86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: So-Fla PSN:Ghostfaced
Posts: 7,487
Default Re: Heat season over. Plans for next year?

Seeing how close the Heat is to the MLE, if they are going to spend it, it should be for a guy worth going into luxury for. Barnes & Andersen aren't worth it.

As I see it, the main problem with the Heat is they don't have anyone who can pull some of the ball handling burden off Wade. Nobody else except for Wade to create for other teammates consistently. I think getting someone who can get to the foul line, and attack the basket is more important.

The good veteran PGs available:
Mike Bibby
Allen Iverson
Jason Kidd
Andre Miller
Steve Nash

The good younger PGs available, all restricted:
Nate Robinson
Jarrett Jack
Raymond Felton
Ramon Sessions

Out of both lists... the only guy I don't see their respective team holding onto is Iverson. I think most of the other teams will re-sign their players, or those players will go to a different team than the Heat.
beasted86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:03 PM   #4
lil baller
wade=mvp
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 694
Default Re: Heat season over. Plans for next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasted86
Seeing how close the Heat is to the MLE, if they are going to spend it, it should be for a guy worth going into luxury for. Barnes & Andersen aren't worth it.

As I see it, the main problem with the Heat is they don't have anyone who can pull some of the ball handling burden off Wade. Nobody else except for Wade to create for other teammates consistently. I think getting someone who can get to the foul line, and attack the basket is more important.

The good veteran PGs available:
Mike Bibby
Allen Iverson
Jason Kidd
Andre Miller
Steve Nash

The good younger PGs available, all restricted:
Nate Robinson
Jarrett Jack
Raymond Felton
Ramon Sessions

Out of both lists... the only guy I don't see their respective team holding onto is Iverson. I think most of the other teams will re-sign their players, or those players will go to a different team than the Heat.
barns and anderson is cheap and good but that is just what i thought... my list goes by:

bibby
kidd
miller
felton


as you see that is my thought and to me we only have a shot at felton and maybe kidd but i think bibby and miller stay with their team
lil baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:12 PM   #5
Huey Freeman
PAO
 
Huey Freeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,455
Default Re: Heat season over. Plans for next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil baller
barns and anderson is cheap and good but that is just what i thought... my list goes by:

bibby
kidd
miller
felton


as you see that is my thought and to me we only have a shot at felton and maybe kidd but i think bibby and miller stay with their team
I think Philadelphia is ridding themselves of Andre Miller.
Huey Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:41 PM   #6
lil baller
wade=mvp
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 694
Default Re: Heat season over. Plans for next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey Freeman
I think Philadelphia is ridding themselves of Andre Miller.
he be a great pick up and fills our point and saying that he would be great trading material if we wanted to go that route
lil baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:40 PM   #7
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....
 
beasted86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: So-Fla PSN:Ghostfaced
Posts: 7,487
Default Re: Heat season over. Plans for next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey Freeman
I think Philadelphia is ridding themselves of Andre Miller.
Miller is actually one of the lowest priority out of all 9 players on that list, if I were to choose. He's probably number 8 out of 9, just coming in above Ramon Sessions.

He's a smart savy veteran who can definitely pass, handle the ball, and get to the basket, but because of his worse-than-Chalmers 3PT%, I think he'd be a bad fit on the Heat.

Here's my overally ranking out of those 9 PGs:
1. Steve Nash
2. Mike Bibby
3. Allen Iverson
4. Jason Kidd
5. Raymond Felton
6. Jarrett Jack
7. Nate Robinson
8. Andre Miller
9. Ramon Sessions

But as it sits now... I wouldn't gamble on the Heat getting any of these guys. Its more likely the Heat will pursue trades to bring in a PG. I wonder if OKC would take Mark Blount for Earl Watson, straight up?
beasted86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:26 AM   #8
mamba24
read this you homer
 
mamba24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,502
Default Re: Heat season over. Plans for next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasted86
Miller is actually one of the lowest priority out of all 9 players on that list, if I were to choose. He's probably number 8 out of 9, just coming in above Ramon Sessions.

He's a smart savy veteran who can definitely pass, handle the ball, and get to the basket, but because of his worse-than-Chalmers 3PT%, I think he'd be a bad fit on the Heat.

Here's my overally ranking out of those 9 PGs:
1. Steve Nash
2. Mike Bibby
3. Allen Iverson
4. Jason Kidd
5. Raymond Felton
6. Jarrett Jack
7. Nate Robinson
8. Andre Miller
9. Ramon Sessions

But as it sits now... I wouldn't gamble on the Heat getting any of these guys. Its more likely the Heat will pursue trades to bring in a PG. I wonder if OKC would take Mark Blount for Earl Watson, straight up?


The Jazz want to clear Cap space...and they are hoping to sign and trade boozer instead of letting him walk.

so the heat can offer...O'neal and Beasley...for Kirilinko and Boozer...

This helps the jazz by getting away from kirilinkos killer contract and they get a young beasley for boozer...

the heat get boozer...keep wade and a not soo bad defensive player in kirilinko.

I think boozer is better than bosh and amare.

he can finish at the rim with both hands..hes a team player and he knows hes not the 1st option.

Bosh wants to lead a team to a title and be the 1st option as i read sometime earlier...he does not want to be second banana to lebron or wade...

and the same for stoudamire...
mamba24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:57 PM   #9
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....
 
beasted86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: So-Fla PSN:Ghostfaced
Posts: 7,487
Default Re: Heat season over. Plans for next year?

^Not a bad idea... but I wouldn't want the Heat taking on such a bad contract from Kirilenko. Plus, Boozer is somewhat injury prone. Unless the sign & trade contract was similar to what he makes now (IE: under $12M) and they didn't have to take such a long term deal from Kirilenko, Riley wouldn't go for it.

Plus when you think about it, in a few years... Beasley will = Boozer, and maybe be better in some aspects. They both have their defensive issues... and Beasley has potential to be a ~20 PPG, 9 REB type player, except with 3PT range.

I'd rather the Heat try and sign Bosh outright while holding onto Beasley, or try and trade Beasley for Bosh this offseason. Maybe Beasley + Cook + Blount for Bosh would do it, but it would only make sense if they could get Bosh to sign to an extension. Luther Head can do alot of things Cook can do off the bench as either SG or PG, so Cook could be expendable only if they are getting a superstar of Bosh's caliber.
beasted86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #10
catzhernandez
I love me sum Bird!
 
catzhernandez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Home of the Pacers
Posts: 16,821
Default Re: Heat season over. Plans for next year?

Still can't believe you guys didn't show up for game 7.

Wtf
catzhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:16 AM   #11
Lord Leoshes
Local High School Star
 
Lord Leoshes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bizzaro world
Posts: 1,325
Default Re: Heat season over. Plans for next year?

You guys need to know that we are not going to do any of that.
We are over the cap, & it looks like Pat will not use the MID.
But lets say he does, it will only be for 1 year, & all those vets you guys have up there will not accept a one year contract with us. Maybe a contender but not us.

What i say we need to do is.
1)try & use our 2 round picks to move up into the 1st, & get a back up PG.
2) Askins & the coaching staff to take Beasley under their wing & teach him to play perimeter defense so he can start for us at SF.
3) Resign Magloir for the MIN for 1 year.
4) JO to work out this summer with the guy Wade worked out for. & see if he can get back some of that athletesism he lost.
& if by any miracle we use our Mid, & Low Level, it should, & better be for 1 year contracts. A starting SF with the MID, & a vet Backup PG with the Low. & again only for 1 year. But unfortunately that last part will not happen, unless we trade someone & make cap space to be able to do that.

That would be the most realistic scenario for us right now.
Lord Leoshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:12 PM   #12
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....
 
beasted86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: So-Fla PSN:Ghostfaced
Posts: 7,487
Default Re: Heat season over. Plans for next year?

As I already responded in the other topic, using the mid over more than 1 year wont affect 2010. The problem is there are only a few guys worth it, and it's a longshot that any would accept. Out of Cs... the only one is Zaza, PGs, I already made my list, and SFs... possibly Marion, everyone else is not worth luxury.

But as far as PGs... another rookie alongside Chalmers is not the answer. Most likely if Riley is going to get into the draft, its to get a backup C, since it's unlikely Joel Anthony will be re-upped. I've heard talk of Yiannis Bouroussis going in second round, that the Heat might look into getting. Ideally you want a PG with playoff experience, even if its not an older veteran.

Last edited by beasted86 : 05-19-2009 at 04:58 PM.
beasted86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:43 PM   #13
Lord Leoshes
Local High School Star
 
Lord Leoshes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bizzaro world
Posts: 1,325
Default Re: Heat season over. Plans for next year?

If you use $1 dollar in 2010, that's $1 dollar less we will have to use on a max player. So yes $5 1/2 mill in 2010, could be the difference in a max player like Bosh, & a good player like J Howard.

& am cool using that pick on a center, PG, or even SF. Actually just pick who ever the best player is at that spot.

& i do want a vet PG, but hopefully one on a MIN contract for one year.


Here, you mite find this interesting.

(((Miller Interested In Signing With Miami

Andre Miller has interest in signing with the Heat if the 76ers don't keep him, an associate told the Miami Herald.
Miami won't have cap space to offer him anything more than the mid-level exception, so a sign-and-trade deal would almost certainly need to be agreed upon.)))


I just don't see Pat blowing away the money he saved up for 2010.
Lord Leoshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:00 PM   #14
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....
 
beasted86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: So-Fla PSN:Ghostfaced
Posts: 7,487
Default Re: Heat season over. Plans for next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Leoshes
If you use $1 dollar in 2010, that's $1 dollar less we will have to use on a max player. So yes $5 1/2 mill in 2010, could be the difference in a max player like Bosh, & a good player like J Howard.

& am cool using that pick on a center, PG, or even SF. Actually just pick who ever the best player is at that spot.

& i do want a vet PG, but hopefully one on a MIN contract for one year.


Here, you mite find this interesting.

(((Miller Interested In Signing With Miami

Andre Miller has interest in signing with the Heat if the 76ers don't keep him, an associate told the Miami Herald.
Miami won't have cap space to offer him anything more than the mid-level exception, so a sign-and-trade deal would almost certainly need to be agreed upon.)))


I just don't see Pat blowing away the money he saved up for 2010.

I don't think you understanding what I'm saying. Even if the Heat signed a player for the mid-level extending into 2010... they still have $41M to re-sign Wade and bring in Bosh.

They don't need more than $41M purely because, Bosh is limited to a maximum offer of ~$17M in the first year of his new contract because the Heat don't have the Bird rights, and Bosh will only be a 7th year player. Either way you cut it... both guys will be getting a staggered deal, and the first year salary of their contracts will limit them to around $17M because of their veteranship. That's only $34M out of the projected $41M IF they spent the full mid-level this offseason. If they chose not to spend the mid-level... it would just leave them further under the cap... but won't matter in the regard of signing a superstar.

The main thing is although they can just as easily bring in Bosh or another superstar, ALONG with the needed PG in 2010... I'd rather Wade, Beasley & that PG develop some chemistry over the course of next year, rather than throw Wade, Beasley, Superstar PF/C + Elite PG all into a mixing bowl and expect them to get it done.
beasted86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:59 PM   #15
Lord Leoshes
Local High School Star
 
Lord Leoshes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bizzaro world
Posts: 1,325
Default Re: Heat season over. Plans for next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasted86
I don't think you understanding what I'm saying. Even if the Heat signed a player for the mid-level extending into 2010... they still have $41M to re-sign Wade and bring in Bosh.

They don't need more than $41M purely because, Bosh is limited to a maximum offer of ~$17M in the first year of his new contract because the Heat don't have the Bird rights, and Bosh will only be a 7th year player. Either way you cut it... both guys will be getting a staggered deal, and the first year salary of their contracts will limit them to around $17M because of their veteranship. That's only $34M out of the projected $41M IF they spent the full mid-level this offseason. If they chose not to spend the mid-level... it would just leave them further under the cap... but won't matter in the regard of signing a superstar.

The main thing is although they can just as easily bring in Bosh or another superstar, ALONG with the needed PG in 2010... I'd rather Wade, Beasley & that PG develop some chemistry over the course of next year, rather than throw Wade, Beasley, Superstar PF/C + Elite PG all into a mixing bowl and expect them to get it done.



First if we use our mid this year we will go over the cap, & Pat wont do that unless we do a trade first that will clear up cap space to do that.


Can you wright down the #s like i did so i can understand your math & figure out how you got to that #? Cause i think you mite have miscalculated somewhere, but not sure.
Lord Leoshes is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:01 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy