Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-04-2009, 02:40 PM   #1
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

loot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation here
Default You choose the subject, I'll share my thoughts: Hiphop edition

There's a topic like this in the mainforum on NBA related topics. I've had a few people asking me about my opinion on hiphop related stuff, and every now and them I'm close to opening a topic about something hiphop related and I chose against it because I fell it's not worthy of it's own topic.

Well now it is. Just shoot your questions at me when it comes to tips and opinions. It's been a while since I bought my first hiphop album and it's been a while since I've been 100% satisfied with a new hiphop album too.

Just a few short thoughts to get this started, and let's just see where this takes me after that.

1. Guru is probably the most overrated rapper ever. Dude's skills are mediocre (that Lemonade lyric should have gotten his rapping license provoked, he put Nice & Smooth to shame with that one), his stage presence is w e a k and he's a poser. By poser I mean this:

2. Guru's sick. And I don't mean it in a positive way. Dude's got some **** going on. He's too skinny and he looks like he's gonna die on us any minute now.

3. Jdilla was a great producer. But anybody wearing a 'Jdilla changed my life' shirt should be ashamed. They would not wear that one if it had their deceased grandmother on it. Your grandmother changed your life. Jdilla just made it a bit more fun.

4. Jdilla didn't die from Lupus. He had HIV. Just putting it out there.

5. GZA is one of the most underrated rappers ever. Just that.

6. The UK and France have two of the greatest hiphop scenes outside of the USA. Basically they have some artists who can run with the best US artists. They also have their own styles and these artists are selling crazy units. I might throw a post out there featuring only French or UK rappers. It's worth it.

7. US rappers coming to Europe with an attitude and getting their arses kicked is great. Guru got smacked around. Dame Dash (not a rapper, I know) got mandhandled in the UK. De La Soul were getting chased by a group of Turks in Germany. They were really hiding under a bridge, like Maceo said. Marseille is famous for US MCs getting beaten down. And it's mostly because of the attitude, although I don't think De La have an attitude.

8. Speaking of which, Posdnous is vastly underrated.

9. The late 90's were great when it comes to rejuvenated MC's. Rakim was back for a while, BDK dropped some verses. Just Ice did a 12". Freddie Foxx was chasing MC's home. Slick Rick dropped a very very underrated album. Good stuff, but I don't want to hear them anymore.

10. The only MC's from the late 80's I still wanna hear: Masta Ace. Always great. LL Cool J: one of the greatest and very underrated. Scarface: just great. Cube. That's about it.

11. I love Slum Village for getting MC Breed on that record on Detroit Deli. Ain't no future...is great.

12. Funny story: Tone Loc was invited for that show featuring all thos ehas beens and one hit wonders in some big villa, with Vanilla Ice and them. He never answered, instead he just faxed the guys making the show his bank reciept with only showing his monthly interest. Dude's a millionaire. He invested his money on wallstreet and kept making money doing voice overs. He got it made.

13. Special Ed never got it made.

14. Paris also made ****loads of money on wallstreet. He pimped the system. And then he went back to the studio and recorded another 'revolutionary' record.

15. T-Mo from Goodie Mob has always been nice. Goodie Mb as a whole: you gotta love them. Withchdoctor too by the way. People overlook hyis first release.

16. Why did Premier always choose to work with mediocre rappers? Jeru, Afu-Ra, Shug, Guru, Group Home? UGH. Pitch Black? All City? Meh.

17. What happenend to Hip Hop anthems? Where are the Daf EFX/Naughty by Nature joints? It's been a few years since we had those!!

Shoot. I'll try to be as quick as I can sharing my views/thoughts.

Last edited by loot : 05-04-2009 at 03:27 PM.
loot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:43 PM   #2
ikoiko
Local High School Star

ikoiko has decent reputationikoiko has decent reputation
Default Re: You choose the subject, I'll share my thoughts: Hiphop edition

first off: i somewhat agree with your take on guru. dude's lyrics is a joke. but he does have a great voice and good delivery. agree?

what do you think off missy elliott as a rapper?
ikoiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

andgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I agree with everything, except Guru being the most overrated.

I agree, he's overrated but not the most (not by far).

I also agree that Preemo makes wack to slightly above avg mcees sound better than they really are. Perfect example of the producer making the rapper.

Hip hop BORES me nowadays.

Only artists worth listening are Skyzoo and Jay Electronica.

I can appreciate the new school cats, but I can't dig them (Lupe, the dude Hamilton, dude from Toronto).
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:53 PM   #4
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

loot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoiko
first off: i somewhat agree with your take on guru. dude's lyrics is a joke. but he does have a great voice and good delivery. agree?

what do you think off missy elliott as a rapper?

Guru has a nice voice. But listening to a whole album get's boring. Moment of Truth was great though. But he got a lot of help on there. Delivery? Not so much.

Missy Elliot is a great entertainer. She also is pretty versatile. She knows her strengths and weaknesses and will act accordingly. She's not a great MC by any means, but shés very entertaining. And she can write, has a sense of humor.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:56 PM   #5
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
Only artists worth listening are Skyzoo and Jay Electronica.

I can appreciate the new school cats, but I can't dig them (Lupe, the dude Hamilton, dude from Toronto).

Countdown to Jay Electronica acting gay. 321.

He's tapping Badu, right? Ccommon hit it an went gay. Dre300 became queer. QTip must have hit it too, and I suspect Will.I.Am having been up in it too.

Lupe is nice. Charles Hamilton is ok. Kid Cudi: Not feeling it very much.

Also two other points:

The Clipse are great mixtape rappers. The Re-Up tapes were GREAT. The re-up album? Not really.

Will.I.Am's hiphop catalogue the past 6 years has been more impressive than Prremo's. Will.I.Am knows a thing or two about producing a record.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:59 PM   #6
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Tarik One is considered somewhat coolTarik One is considered somewhat cool

- Easy E was the heart and soul of NWA imo.

- Biggie was flat broke shortly after his "Ready to Die" album. He eventually sold all of his publishing rights to Puff Daddy for $500,000 in 1995. Puffy was and still is a pimp and savvy businessman.

- If you look beyond the sexual lyrics, Lil Kim was an excellent rap artist

- Snoop & 2Pac did NOT get along.

- Fat Joe is more like Average Joe
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:04 PM   #7
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik One

and if you look beyond the ghost writing. actually she's just ok. her verse on get money was her best ever.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:05 PM   #8
ikoiko
Local High School Star

ikoiko has decent reputationikoiko has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik One
- Easy E was the heart and soul of NWA imo.

- Biggie was flat broke shortly after his "Ready to Die" album. He eventually sold all of his publishing rights to Puff Daddy for $500,000 in 1995. Puffy was and still is a pimp and savvy businessman.

- Snoop & 2Pac did NOT get along.

- Fat Joe is more like Average Joe

eazy e sucked. had a whiny little punkass voice and had his rhymes ghostwritten. he would be completely forgotten had it not been that he died so early.

and what the hell does it mean that we gotta look beyond the sexual lyrics with lil kim??? that's her whole persona. i am a lil kim fan but why the fcuk should we look beyond her sexual lyrics? cause she's a woman? does that mean you don't approve of snoop's sexual lyrics either? or biggies? or those of any other male rapper?
ikoiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:08 PM   #9
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

andgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by loot
Countdown to Jay Electronica acting gay. 321.

He's tapping Badu, right? Ccommon hit it an went gay. Dre300 became queer. QTip must have hit it too, and I suspect Will.I.Am having been up in it too.

Lupe is nice. Charles Hamilton is ok. Kid Cudi: Not feeling it very much.

Also two other points:

The Clipse are great mixtape rappers. The Re-Up tapes were GREAT. The re-up album? Not really.

Will.I.Am's hiphop catalogue the past 6 years has been more impressive than Prremo's. Will.I.Am knows a thing or two about producing a record.

Will is a good producer.

But its not that Preemo hasn't had hot stuff, its just that most labels and artists aren't going for the "boom bap" sound.

The few tracks that he has had, have been bangers tho. And lets not forget he made some dope tracks for Xtina (Classic album btw.... go ahead laugh).

Also..... is Jadakiss incapable of making a good album? I think its genetically impossible for him to do so.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:12 PM   #10
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
Will is a good producer.

But its not that Preemo hasn't had hot stuff, its just that most labels and artists aren't going for the "boom bap" sound.

The few tracks that he has had, have been bangers tho. And lets not forget he made some dope tracks for Xtina (Classic album btw.... go ahead laugh).

Also..... is Jadakiss incapable of making a good album? I think its genetically impossible for him to do so.

Premo's catalogue of the past 6 years really isnt impressive. Lot of has beens, Alicia Keys and Aguilera thats it.

His work prior to 2003 is very very nice. I'm not saying anything negative about that. But the last 6? Nothing worth mentioning.

Jadakiss...Ras Kass...Canabis...Chino Xl... rappers with skills who can't make an album. And Ras/Jada actually came close to good albums. Ras might even have dropped a pretty good one with his first. Jada did some nice work too. But it's just a skill. Making a good album. I bet that if you'd let someone else choose the beats for them and handle everything but the rhymes their album would be better.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:13 PM   #11
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

loot

how about your take on:
  • dmx
  • a tribe called quest
  • and one of the first: kurtis blow
also, have you listened to any blue scholars stuff?
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:26 PM   #12
quasimoto
Banned

quasimoto is a pretty well-respected posterquasimoto is a pretty well-respected posterquasimoto is a pretty well-respected posterquasimoto is a pretty well-respected poster

Your take on Marley Marl.
quasimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:11 PM   #13
phoenix18
4/27/91-7/23/09

phoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by loot

6. The UK and France have two of the greatest hiphop scenes outside of the USA. Basically they have some artists who can run with the best US artists. They also have their own styles and these artists are selling crazy units. I might throw a post out there featuring only French or UK rappers. It's worth it.

7. US rappers coming to Europe with an attitude and getting their arses kicked is great. Guru got smacked around. Dame Dash (not a rapper, I know) got mandhandled in the UK. De La Soul were getting chased by a group of Turks in Germany. They were really hiding under a bridge, like Maceo said. Marseille is famous for US MCs getting beaten down. And it's mostly because of the attitude, although I don't think De La have an attitude.

What about Germany??? The buy the second most hiphop albums in the world.
Dame Dash got his ass beat in Paris not london.
But overall nice opinions
phoenix18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:16 PM   #14
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainierBeachPoet
loot

how about your take on:
  • dmx
  • a tribe called quest
  • and one of the first: kurtis blow
also, have you listened to any blue scholars stuff?

DMX: He was fun while it lasted. Had his own style, some nice energetic beats, and although most would probably diregard that part of him, he had some pretty good lyrics too. He just put out too many albums in too short a period. Maybe he made a lot of money that way, but had he saved all the tracks and put out 1 great album instead of 3 albums within something like 15 months, I wouldve appreciated him more.

He recently showed up on some album again, was it from the Game? Don't think we'll hear much from him ever again. Loved the Damian songs Perfect music to warm up to..

ATCQ: GREAT. Although I never got why Jarobi's lard ass was still with them by the time they dropped an album, Qtip is a great MC (loved that last solo album and while people mostly remember Vivrant thing and the other single, that first solo album was GOOD). Phife's solo wasnt as good, but still pretty nice. Ali Shaheed's work with Lucy Pearl was phenomenal. Ali's Shaheedullah and Stereotypeswas great. Most people probably missed that one. Still I liked De La better.

Kurtis Blow is a legend and I loved the Breaks, Xmas rappin (had those on 12"). But I can't listen to it too much anymore. I have difficulties listening to two old school (pre 86) songs after oneanother. The flows are just too wayback for me.

I'm not familiair with Blue Scholars. School me?
Old 05-04-2009, 05:19 PM   #15
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasimoto
Your take on Marley Marl.

One of the greatest producers of all time. Juice Crew produced BDK, Biz, Ace, G Rap. some of my favorite MC's ever. The stories are legendary. Kool G rhyming till the tape ran out. Ace's introdcuction as a youngster. Kane and Biz. Shante battling Real Rox. But the thing Marley should get more recognition for is sampling. Dude did it.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: