Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-04-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Tarik One has decent reputationTarik One has decent reputation
Default Pernell Whitaker >>>Manny Pacquaio

One of my 5 favorite fighters ever and arguably the best defensive little man in the history of boxing, he'd have Pacman swinging at air for 12 rounds. Sweet Pea by decision.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:36 PM   #2
lefthook00
College star

lefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Pernell Whitaker >>>Manny Pacquaio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik One
One of my 5 favorite fighters ever and arguably the best defensive little man in the history of boxing, he'd have Pacman swinging at air for 12 rounds. Sweet Pea by decision.

Obviously...but I don't think people on this board follow boxing closely enough to understand this.
lefthook00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Sweet Pea is the best defensive fighter I have ever seen. I'm still p!ssed off over that bogus decision against Chavez. That should have been JCC's first loss. Pernell outclassed him.

Easily one of the greatest fighters of all-time. He doesn't get the respect that is due.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:15 PM   #4
magiŠ
Sai ello to the ba guy

magiŠ is considered somewhat coolmagiŠ is considered somewhat cool

1. JCC was clearly a better boxer then Whitaker.
2. Most underrated boxer to me is either Marciano or Sugar Ray Robinson. I consider Sugar to be the greatest of all-time, dethroning Ali. I believe his mouth made him a better boxer then he really was.

Lets start the controversy.
magiŠ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:22 PM   #5
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiŠ
1. JCC was clearly a better boxer then Whitaker.
2. Most underrated boxer to me is either Marciano or Sugar Ray Robinson. I consider Sugar to be the greatest of all-time, dethroning Ali. I believe his mouth made him a better boxer then he really was.

Lets start the controversy.
1. No... He wasn't... And it wasn't close. What made JCC great was his iron will, iron jaw, and heavy hands. He did not have the pure skill of Pernell.

2. Marciano is one of the most OVERrated boxers in history and I'm not sure how SRR could be underrated when just about everyone that knows anything about the sport considers him the No. 1 p4p fighter of all-time. That is like saying the Michael Jordan is underrated.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:27 PM   #6
magiŠ
Sai ello to the ba guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
1. No... He wasn't... And it wasn't close. What made JCC great was his iron will, iron jaw, and heavy hands. He did not have the pure skill of Pernell.

2. Marciano is one of the most OVERrated boxers in history and I'm not sure how SRR could be underrated when just about everyone that knows anything about the sport considers him the No. 1 p4p fighter of all-time. That is like saying the Michael Jordan is underrated.

JR Smith is a very skillful basketball player, is he better then say Brandon Roy? There's a giant difference between skills and results.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:27 PM   #7
Bush4Ever
Local High School Star

Bush4Ever has decent reputation

Rocky fought in a relatively weak era of fighters and would be squashed like a bug by a good half-dozen heavyweights in history, arguably up to a dozen.

He beat who was put in front of him though, I'll give him that.
Bush4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:29 PM   #8
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiŠ
JR Smith is a very skillful basketball player, is he better then say Brandon Roy? There's a giant difference between skills and results.
I agree with that. But, you said JCC was a better 'boxer,' which inferred (to me) that you were talking about actual boxing skill.

Btw, I would probably rate the two around the same in an all-time p4p discussion. Both were great fighters. That doesn't change the fact that JCC was given a GIFT draw.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:30 PM   #9
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

andgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Thin line between defense and "running."

There's some that will rightfully argue that pernell like many black fighters "run" instead of defend.

JCC WAS a skilled fighter. He's from the old school era where they HAD to be skilled. He was great at adjusting and sizing up his opponent along with setting them up which takes skills. To accomplish what he did he had to be skilled.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:30 PM   #10
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Tarik One has decent reputationTarik One has decent reputation

Quote:
I'm still p!ssed off over that bogus decision against Chavez. That should have been JCC's first loss. Pernell outclassed him.

2 words - Don King
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:33 PM   #11
magiŠ
Sai ello to the ba guy

Quote:
I agree with that. But, you said JCC was a better 'boxer,' which inferred (to me) that you were talking about actual boxing skill.

Btw, I would probably rate the two around the same in an all-time p4p discussion. Both were great fighters. That doesn't change the fact that JCC was given a GIFT draw.

Is heart a skill? I don't consider it a skill, it is an asset that separates two great athletes. It's something Kobe has that McGrady never had. Like you said JCC had incredible will and his incredible record speaks volume to me. I would take him over Whitaker any day. I will say though, that PW does not get enough credit for his tremendous skill set.

JCC is a boxing legend though, I consider him in very high regard.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:34 PM   #12
sonicman
Decent playground baller

sonicman has an OK reputation so far

'Sweet Pea' is the cure for insomnia
sonicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:34 PM   #13
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
Thin line between defense and "running."

There's some that will rightfully argue that pernell like many black fighters "run" instead of defend.

JCC WAS a skilled fighter. He's from the old school era where they HAD to be skilled. He was great at adjusting and sizing up his opponent along with setting them up which takes skills. To accomplish what he did he had to be skilled.
Never said he wasn't skilled... Just not as technically flawless as Sweet Pea. He is an all-time great... Damn right he was skilled.

Pernell clearly beat him in '93, though. It shouldn't have even been close on the scorecards. JCC was able to walk down a lot of guys and eventually make them cave (Taylor)... He couldn't do it with Whitaker.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:37 PM   #14
sonicman
Decent playground baller

sonicman has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
JCC was able to walk down a lot of guys and eventually make them cave (Taylor)...

Come on man, Taylor won that fight, that was rigged as
sonicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:42 PM   #15
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

andgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Never said he wasn't skilled... Just not as technically flawless as Sweet Pea. He is an all-time great... Damn right he was skilled.

Pernell clearly beat him in '93, though. It shouldn't have even been close on the scorecards. JCC was able to walk down a lot of guys and eventually make them cave (Taylor)... He couldn't do it with Whitaker.

I honestly don't remember that fight. Some of you must really have a great memory to be honest.

But I do know that he ran alot in his career. From what I understand, most judges didn't like the way he was fighting, they saw JCC as the aggressor which resulted in the draw. Of course, I/they could be wrong.

And my I understand that many won't like my original comment in regards to many black boxers being "runners," but its true for the most part.

And its something that I never understood considering their speed and elusiveness. I never understood why many run so much.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: