Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 10-08-2006, 02:20 PM   #1
LakerRaider
Great college starter

LakerRaider has an OK reputation so far
Default The Work Ethic Of Jordan Farmar.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_4460379

Farmar is working on jump shot

BY ROSS SILER, Staff Writer

Article Last Updated:10/07/2006

11:15:48 PM PDT

EL SEGUNDO - After all his teammates had left for the afternoon, Lakers rookie guard Jordan Farmar (Taft of Woodland Hills) stayed on the practice court Saturday taking onejumper after another.

Those extra 15 minutes of work were a sure sign of Farmar's determination. Even though he had to be back for a scrimmage in only five hours, Farmar would not leave the gym without feeling good about his shot.

Only six months after leading UCLA to the NCAA championship game, Farmar is starting over as a 19-year-old in the NBA. He played beyond his years on the Lakers' summer-league team but knows nothing is guaranteed as a rookie.

With three other ball-handling guards on the roster - Smush Parker, Sasha Vujacic and Shammond Williams - Farmar might get his minutes in the NBA Development League this season.

But he might also be able to challenge for a role, especially if he can knock down his jumper with consistency. Farmar summed up his expectations for the season as "just to be productive, whatever they need me for.

"If I'm going to play, I want to contribute as much as I can. I definitely want to play, I want to be out here and compete and make the guys ahead of me better so that we can improve as a team."

Farmar said he struggled a little with his shot in the firstweek of training camp.

The Lakers have worked with Farmar to change how he shoots. Farmar has a tendency to lean back slightly, which leaves his jumper coming up short. Now he is making a point of going up straight or leaning forward when he shoots.

Sure-handed: After a season of watching center Kwame Brown sometimes fumble away passes out of bounds, assistant coach Kurt Rambis' comment Saturday came almost as a revelation.

"To be honest with you, I don't think that I've noticed him dropping the ball in this training camp," Rambis said.

His biggest challenge comes not only in catching the ball, but in slowing down once he has it.

"You can think about the spot that you're supposed to be at all day long," Brown said, "and then you can't do nothing without the rock."

ross.siler@dailynews.com

(818) 713-3610

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_4460379
LakerRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 03:12 PM   #2
UCLAlegend32
Local High School Star

UCLAlegend32 is considered somewhat coolUCLAlegend32 is considered somewhat cool

cant wait to see him play, hes gonna play a big roll this season good thing hes workin on his game so he can contribute to the team.
UCLAlegend32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 03:29 PM   #3
kobedaman24
its ours nxt year LA09

kobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this board

I can see him as a future Jason Kidd type of player. He has the skills and determination. Im hoping he'll get some solid minutes this season.
kobedaman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 04:54 PM   #4
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Anybody who earns Kobe's respect as it pertains to workout ethics rates high in my book!
SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 04:58 PM   #5
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I heard that the lakers gave him a new form to shoot...he used to come up short with many shots because he leaned back a lot.

Hopefully with that added on he will have a perfect game.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 05:26 PM   #6
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

How has his defense been touted? With the triange and guys like Kobe and LO initiating the offense, they basically just need a guy who can shoot the three, and play big defense on the opposing team's quicker PG's. He should be able to take it in on occasion, but those are the two major skills that he needs to be a reliable PG for the Lakers.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 05:33 PM   #7
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

They say he plays pretty good defense...its the SoCalMike defense (lol)
Old 10-08-2006, 08:24 PM   #8
SoCalMike

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
They say he plays pretty good defense...its the SoCalMike defense (lol)

HAHAHA... I appreciate the props...

Actually, his D looked better than Sasha's, thats for sure. Watching him in the SPL, he had a good defensive ethic. Obviously, he needs to work on his footwork, but at age 19, I am pleased with what I saw.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:17 AM   #9
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
HAHAHA... I appreciate the props...

Actually, his D looked better than Sasha's, thats for sure. Watching him in the SPL, he had a good defensive ethic. Obviously, he needs to work on his footwork, but at age 19, I am pleased with what I saw.

*completely ignoring Anti-shaq's post*

NP for the props

when does farmar turn 20? This Jordan guy can maybe one day for a lethal 1-2 punch with andrew Bynum if they both develop properly.

Kobe is a great leader and i think they will learn the ropes from him.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:11 AM   #10
LakerRaider
Great college starter

LakerRaider has an OK reputation so far

I'm deleting all this stuff that seems to get off-topic and deleting these spams and trolling. It's being taking care of people. Anyways, let's get back on topic.

Jordan Farmar should be a really nice addition. If he's selected, he'll probably only play selected minutes to give the guards a break and to wear down opponents with his quickness. I don't think he'll be expected to bulk up, just stay lean and quick so he can keep up with the best of them.
LakerRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:19 AM   #11
Kobe4MVP
High School JV MVP

Kobe4MVP has an OK reputation so far

Yeah, staying quick is key, we don't want him bulking up and getting too slow. I'm sure the training staff knows just what to do though, and Jordan seems like the kind of kid who will do exactly what he is told because he wants to succeed.
Kobe4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:01 AM   #12
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

or a good way to do it is every season he gains 5 lbs and keeps working through it and he will learn to stay quick.

Finally after about 3 seasons he could have gained 15 pounds and he will still be fast.

Im not saying this to sound silly but I think he should go for 5 lbs every season and keep running with it and conditioning harder.

So not only will he be as quick as guys like nash and iverson but also stronger than them too.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:21 PM   #13
LA.MJ&KB#1
Good college starter

LA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation here

My point actually Lakerfreak... If Farmer and Bynum stay together this combination will be the future for or lakers. Not just playoff I'm talking about world championships. Only time will tell.
LA.MJ&KB#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:34 PM   #14
SoCalMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA.MJ&KB#1
My point actually Lakerfreak... If Farmer and Bynum stay together this combination will be the future for or lakers. Not just playoff I'm talking about world championships. Only time will tell.

Interesting thought... and folks like Walton and Cook are the senior veterans? That sounds kind of strange, but I certainly dont disagree that its a possibility.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:41 PM   #15
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

I agree too.

I love the thought.

Bynum- 22 ppg, 12 rpg, 3 bpg
Farmar, 16 ppg, 6 assists, 2 spg,

And walton, Odom, Cook, Pinnock (might be a great too), and other pieces sorrounding.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: