Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Old 05-12-2009, 11:25 AM   #1
SixersFan76
I hit open 5-footers

SixersFan76 has an OK reputation so far
Default Sixers Musts

1 - Hire a coach who can get respect in the locker room and be tough, but who can also develop young players and create accountability

2 - Beg, lie, cheat, steal and kill if you have to, but get someone to take Sam Dalembert. You just can't have that guy in your locker room anymore. I don't know if they'll be able to pull it off, but they should try their damnest. Ideally, they can get a guy like Kaman or Chandler for him, but if not, see if they can get a team like Oklahoma City to just take him off our hands for nothing and kick in the maximum allowable $3 million if you have to along with a future pick. That's how important it is to get him out of that locker room (not to mention the ridiculous $23.5 million he's due over the next two seasons).

3 - Let Miller go. This team has to move on and signing a defensively deficient 33 year old PG to a multi-year contract when he can't shoot and can't run the half court offense or the pick and roll is self-defeating. This team needs a PG who can run the pick and roll with Brand, play defense, and hit open jumpers while keeping turnovers to a minimum. He however doesn't have to be a big time scorer, nor does he have to be a classic pass first PG who will get 10 assists a game. With Brand back, Young developing, and Iggy hopefully continuing to work on his jumper, we'll have plenty of scoring (Speights goes into that equation as well). Considering Brand can draw a double and kick it out and the offense often runs through Iguodala, it makes sense to bring a young player who do those things - be it through the draft or through free agency.

4 - Try to move Lou Williams, either as part of a Dalembert trade, as part of a trade where we get little to nothing in return, but someone takes either Evans or Green along with him, or in a move where we get either a consistent shooter who is a true SG or a veteran PG who is no older than 29 and has a reasonable length contract.

5 - Hope to get lucky in the draft and use the little free agent money that we do have - likely no more than the MLE and LLE, wisely. Locker room leadership and guys who play with fire are important.

Number 2 will be the toughest thing to accomplish and number 4 might have some wishful thinking to it, but they can and should be able to accomplish the other 3 things on this list.
SixersFan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:00 PM   #2
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

sixerfan3511 has decent reputation
Default Re: Sixers Musts

I don't want to move Lou Williams, but trading Green, Dalembert, and Evans are all possibilities. I think we should definitely trade Dalembert. I still think he can be, and is at times, a force defensively, and he has improved his offensive game. But he needs to go. Maybe a change of scenery will help him. But he won't flourish here, and he's making way too much money to not play over 20 minutes every other game. I like Green and Evans as backups, so trading them isn't necessary. But I'm not opposed to it. I love Lou Williams off the bench though, i absolutely do NOT want to deal him. As for the coach, i am fine with Avery Johnson or Doug Collins. I have kind of changed my opinion on Jordan, i don't want him as badly anymore. I also feel that we should probably let Miller go, i like him and he's been great for us, but he doesn't fit that well with our personnel when Brand is healthy. We should try to sign a shooter or 2 and draft a PG. We need a guy that can spread the floor better.

Lou Williams, Royal Ivey and Willie Green off the bench in the back court. Speights, Evans and Smith off the bench in the front court. Sign a SF that can shoot. We are letting Theo go. Let Rush go. I'm not opposed to re-signing Marshall. Try to get a new starting center and pg. Have Andre, Thad and Brand starting. We have a foundation but we have a few holes to fill.
sixerfan3511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:35 AM   #3
artificial
:-P

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster

1. Agreed. Although if we went only by the characteristics you mentioned, I'd think of Avery Johnson.

2. If there is a god...

3. Agreed. And finding an adequate substitute for him should be real high on Stefanski's priority list. I'm looking at the draft because this year it's coming very deep in PGs, although the downside of this is that PGs usually take some time to develop.

4. I personally like Lou as a sixth man and a spark off the bench, so unless his departure lands Philly a starter (PG or SG) I'd rather keep him.

5. Of course. No one worth big bucks that Sixers can realistically think of is out there in the FA market.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:10 AM   #4
SixersFan76
I hit open 5-footers

There might be a copule of interesting PGs for us to look at in the draft. I think Curry might drop further than people think because people will look too much at athleticism and a lot of what he does (timely shooting and clutch play) might not show up in the one on one scrimages. I also like Nick Calathes from Florida quite a bit. He's a classic case of a guy who everyone tries to poke holes in. He will never be able to guard the small, quick PGs in the NBA, but there are plenty of guys in the NBA, including Bibby and Miller for that matter, who also can't guard them. He's not as bad of an athlete as people make him out to be and he can bother people with his height on the perimeter. Fact of the matter is that he's a 6-5 kid who is a pure PG - a pure, pass first, great outside shooter who knows how to play the game and is mature beyond his year. I can see that kid working hard to improve his game and think he'd be a nice fit here and could play with Williams some.

We should also actively look at either encouraging Ivey to opt out, trading him, or just buying him out, and then buying a second round pick and seeing if we can land another guy who has more potential. There is a very interesting American kid who played in Ukraine this past season - Patrick Beverley, whom I would take a flier on in the second round. He played for two years at Arkansas as a 6-2 combo guard, dropped out, and went to Ukraine, where apparently he worked hard on his PG skills. He's athletic, quick and apparently a very good defender with NBA 3 point range. He's clearly a fighter and a kid who is willing to work on his game. An interesting name to keep an eye out on.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Here is the cold and harsh truth. If you want the Sixers to get rid of Dalembert and/or try to lure a piece/pieces here you think could help or be a step in the right direction? You will have to part with Thaddeus Young. Brand is stuck here and lets face it why would he not? Iggy contract says he will be stuck here as well. And his performance last year says I'm still a SF.

If you want to move Iggy back to SF and search the league for a SG, PG? You will have to dangle Thaddeus Young. Any creative trade package you put together involving anyone of these players if not a combination (W.Green, L.Williams, R.Evans, S.Dalembert) the first thing teams will want is Thaddeus Young. This was the problem when you drafted him and now its upon us.

Now you can play Thad at SF and Iggy at SG. But this "change" or helpful pieces will be tough to lure if you want to really improve the Sixers.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:53 AM   #6
SixersFan76
I hit open 5-footers

No one is untradeable in the NBA. I would trade Young or anyone else for the right player/s. Fact of the matter is, I don't see anyone out there who would give us a worthwhile player to make that deal so I'd rather focus on getting a couple of other options - a CJ Watson with part of the MLE or a sign and trade and the draft for example. Houston will be taking Lakers to game 7 with Aaron Brooks. Lakers have Derrick Fisher at the helm. Celtics got Rondo in the bottom half of the first round. Cleveland has a kid who was a second round pick and whom the Sixers could have gotten for nothing this past off season. That's the last 4 teams standing. You can win with the right mix of players and without a stud PG. And you can find shooting and good deals out there without trading your most promising young player. That would be the absolute last thing I would look at.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:35 PM   #7
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
No one is untradeable in the NBA.

Not true. Why would Clevland trade Lebron James? They wouldnt.

And Thad isnt untradeable but he is an asset you clutch onto tighter/longer than others.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:45 PM   #8
SixersFan76
I hit open 5-footers

No one is untradeable in the NBA. Kareem, Wilt and Shaq all got traded. Why would they trade LeBron? If he will be a free agent after next season and he lets the team know he wants to go to a bigger market team and will refuse to sign a multi-year extension, they'll move him to get something for him, rather than lose him for nothing. That could be one reason. No one in the NBA is untradeable given the right circumstances.

Thad is obviously not in a star, let alone super star category, but he's the only guy on the Sixers, who at a mere 20 years old, at least has the potential to turn himself into a super star player. It's nearly impossible to win in this league without a super star on your team - Detroit's one season fluke notwithstanding - and even that team had 4 all-star players and one near all-star, albeit no super stars. So if we move Young, it really has to be a deal that is worth it. Young is probably the most marketable player on the team, not only because of his talent, but because of his age and contract. That being said, I would only move him as a matter of last resort.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:27 PM   #9
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Oh please. Lebron is untradeable. Clevland would not trade Lebron James today or any other day. Your scenerio of trading him to get something in return? Bogus. You actually think next season at the trade deadline Clevland MOVES Lebron? Think again. They keep him to continue thier success and playoff run in pursuit of an NBA championship. They are not going to trade him because Lebron isnt going to walk into the office of Danny Ferry and tell him he intends of signing with another team and not Clevland.

Clevland lets it play out. Lets Bron know they can offer him the most money and wait. Stop being hard headed with this weak scenerios.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:18 AM   #10
SixersFan76
I hit open 5-footers

Yes, because you have a crystal ball and you know exactly what LeBron will or will not do. History of pro sports shows that no one is untouchable - Wilt and Kareem were traded. Shaq was traded twice. Dr. J was traded. Jordan moved teams. No one is untouchable. LeBron is the least likely player in the NBA to be traded, but that doesn't change the accuracy of what I said and your speaking for what LeBron James will or will not do in the future and how Cleveland would respond won't change that one bit. You don't know more than anyone else would.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:00 PM   #11
ppierce34
High school junior varsity star

ppierce34 has an OK reputation so far

The only way Lebron is getting traded is if he tells the Cavs he wants out.

Sam might just be untradeable, on the bad end. Realistically you might be able to package him in some type of deal, even without giving up Thad, but it will be tough. I really dislike Sam, for years now.

The Sixers are defintiely going to need a coach that will be able to inintiate Brand in the offense while still playing to the strengths of guys like Lou and Iggy who strive in a more up-tempo game.
ppierce34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:17 AM   #12
SixersFan76
I hit open 5-footers

No one is ever untradeable. Some guys are more likely to be traded, some guys less likely. LeBron is the least likely guy in the NBA to be traded, but it's not impossible for the Cavs to trade him if they chose to do so and there is a clear circumstance next season where they might have to, even though it remains unlikely.

Dalembert is difficult to trade because he has a bad contract for a player with his output, but again, not impossible. Worse contracts have been moved over the past few seasons. Whether there is a deal out there that also makes us better in the process is another story. Good GM's find ways to make a tough deal and still come out on top. We'll see over the next two seasons if Stefanski is a good GM.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:03 PM   #13
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixersFan76
No one is ever untradeable. Some guys are more likely to be traded, some guys less likely. LeBron is the least likely guy in the NBA to be traded, but it's not impossible for the Cavs to trade him if they chose to do so and there is a clear circumstance next season where they might have to, even though it remains unlikely.

He is untradeable. If Bron was a FA this offseason you think Cavs would have traded him? You think Cavs trade Bron at the trade deadline next season? Of course you dont. Hence untradeable. There are in no position to trade arguably the best player in the game for various reasons. 1. wins 2. fan affair 3. wont get back equal value 4. dont want to trade him.

Lebrons impact on the franchise and the city is nothing short of an ECONOMIC BOOM. There is no way on EARTH he gets traded.

Now to say Lebron in his career will never be untradeable I cant say nor will ever say. From that regard everyone can be tradeable to a degree. But right now? Bron is untradeable. Thats without a doubt fact, jack. An you know you'll never see Bron traded by next years trading deadline. And Cavs would not sign and trade him in 2010. Soooo that leaves us with what?

If Bron wasnt as great as he is today I'd agree with you. But now? Nope.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:39 AM   #14
SixersFan76
I hit open 5-footers

Again, however unlikely it is, you cannot say that you know what's in LeBron's mind. He is a free agent after next season. He has a giant kicker in his endorsment contract if he ends up in a bigger market. New York and Brooklyn Nets will have the cap space and go after him hard. LeBron is trying to build a franchise around his name. You don't know what he intends to do after next season. If they don't win a title next season and have some injuries next year, he very well might indicate to the Cavs that he will not be coming back. He might refuse any extension talks and simply hint that he wants to test the market. At that point, the Cavs very well might try to get the best deal they can for him rather than lose him for nothing.

You have your opinion, but it's not based on any facts. Fact is that LeBron is the best player in the game and the least likely player to be traded for that very reason. Fact also is that he could have signed a max long term extension with his hometown team, much like Wade, Paul, Kobe, and other super star players did with their teams. He explicitly refused to do so and he will be a free agent after 2010 unless he agrees to an extension at some point before that time. Up until now, he has refused all overtures about an extension while openly speculating during the season about playing for his friend Jay-Z, who might increase his stake in the Nets, and about playing for DiAntoni in New York. Cleveland will fight hard to keep him and the best way to do that would be to win a title this season and then make all the right moves to make the team even better for next season and win another title next year. That will keep LeBron in Cleveland. If however they don't win it this season and they don't make moves he deems necessary for a title next year, he is gone. He will be playing in New York - be it the City or Brooklyn.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:45 PM   #15
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

All that text and you said nothing. LOL

Answer the question kid. Next years trading deadline will Clevland trade Bron? The reason you went off tangent was because the answer is NO they would NOT consider trading Bron even with his potential of fleeing the nest upon free agency. So your next reply should be trying to show me an argument that has Clevland possibly trading Lebron before he becomes a free agent. Or else admit he is untradeable. Something that is tough for you to swallow.

No more irrelevant long text about nothing relevant. Ferry would not consider trading Bron next season for fear of losing him for nothing. I'll be here this time next year when Clevland still has Lebron James to see what your excuse is then.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: