Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 05-13-2009, 02:20 AM   #1
dab0yech0
3 Ball like Piatkowski

dab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation here
Default Tim Floyd paid Cash to Mayo

Quote:
ESPN.com news services

LOS ANGELES -- A former associate of NBA star O.J. Mayo says that Southern California basketball coach Tim Floyd paid a man who helped get Mayo to play for the Trojans, Yahoo! Sports reported on Tuesday.

Louis Johnson, the former associate of Mayo's, told the Web site that Rodney Guillory told him that Floyd had given Guillory "a grand." Johnson said he was able to view $100 bills inside an envelope Guillory had.

Last year on ESPN's "Outside the Lines," Johnson accused Guillory of providing Mayo with improper benefits while the guard played for USC.

Johnson said the payment occurred in 2007. Johnson was not present for the actual exhange, but Guillory reportedly told him that they were meeting Floyd to receive money that they could spend at All-Star Weekend in Las Vegas. Johnson saw Guillory meet Floyd outside a cafe and drove around the block. When he picked up Guillory 15 minutes later he was shown the envelope containing money.

Yahoo! Sports reported Johnson has told NCAA investigators and federal authorities -- including the FBI, IRS and U.S. Attorney's Office -- that Floyd paid Guillory.

If Floyd did pay Guillory for delivering Mayo to USC, that would be a major NCAA violation.

Yahoo! Sports also reported that Southern California is the subject of an NCAA investigation into alleged improprieties in both the football and men's basketball programs.

The football probe stems from allegations of 2005 Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush receiving improper benefits for a sports marketing agent while at USC.

Guillory and Floyd declined to comment to Yahoo! about the latest accusations by Johnson.

USC general counsel Carol Mauch Amir also declined comment.

The NCAA does not comment about ongoing investigations.

Johnson had described Guillory as a "runner" who steered Mayo to the Bill Duffy Associates (BDA) sports agency. Johnson said Guillory received between $200,000 and $250,000 from BDA Sports for his efforts, which resulted in Mayo initially signing with BDA when he left USC after one season for the NBA in April 2008.

Mayo had switched to agent Leon Rose before he was drafted third overall by Memphis last year and was runner-up for the NBA's Rookie of the Year award to Chicago's Derrick Rose.

Johnson's attorneys, Anthony V. Salerno and David Murphy, confirmed to Yahoo! Sports that Johnson had told FBI, IRS and U.S. Attorney's Office investigators on May 28, 2008, about his account of the payment from Floyd to Guillory. Two weeks later, Johnson told the NCAA, according to the attorneys.

Salerno told Yahoo! Sports that Johnson's account to federal authorities carried the threat of potential prosecution if Johnson was found to be lying.

According to Johnson's attorneys, Johnson spoke with the NCAA last Friday morning at 10 a.m. PT. The conference call -- which lasted about an hour and a half -- included Johnson, his attorneys, two members of outside counsel representing USC and the two NCAA investigators who interviewed Johnson regarding Mayo last summer.

Salerno said the NCAA investigators prefaced their line of questioning by saying they "needed to tie up some loose ends."

"Our sense is that something is imminent," Salerno said. "I think the NCAA is very close to concluding their investigation. I would say it's looming large and soon."

Information from ESPN's Kelly Naqi and The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4162444

Will the NCAA take away scholarships?
dab0yech0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:43 PM   #2
UConnCeltics
Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles

UConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Tim Floyd paid Cash to Mayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dab0yech0

Will the NCAA take away scholarships?
Nope, they have been sleeping on the Reggie Bush case for like 4 or 5 years now. And I am very surprised that the amount of money was only $1,000. I think that they are missing a few zeros.
UConnCeltics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:07 PM   #3
lukeridnour08
Decent playground baller

lukeridnour08 has decent reputation

This happens everywhere.

If there is hard evidence that Floyd is guilty of this he will be fired
lukeridnour08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:30 PM   #4
IlliniFan
Very good NBA starter

IlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

NCAA doesn't go after the USC's of the world. They make examples of the small schools to make it look like they actually regulate something.
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:50 PM   #5
lukeridnour08
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFan
NCAA doesn't go after the USC's of the world. They make examples of the small schools to make it look like they actually regulate something.

Good point.
Just remembered that Reggie Bush thing like 4 years ago
Old 05-14-2009, 02:42 AM   #6
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

TheGame414 has decent reputationTheGame414 has decent reputation

The Reggie Bush case is being slow-played because the NCAA can't make him talk. There isn't much happening in that case because there isn't much that can at the moment. It's not like they're trying to drag their feet to help USC, or something. It looks like they're dragging their feet because they simply have nothing.

Like this is something uncommon? It happens in courts of law every single day, much less an organization like the NCAA.

And it is a total falsehood to suggest the NCAA won't punish a big-time program. History is littered with big-time programs getting their asses handed to them.

Last edited by TheGame414 : 05-14-2009 at 02:47 AM.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:44 AM   #7
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeridnour08
This happens everywhere.

If there is hard evidence that Floyd is guilty of this he will be fired
No, it doesn't happen everywhere. Plenty of programs- good ones, at that- don't commit major violations. I'd go as far to say possibly a majority don't do that, at least not as blatantly as these allegations.

And I'll damn sure say that if this is true, it's particularly damning for Floyd because he was STUPID ENOUGH TO MAKE THE CASH HANDOFF HIMSELF! How stupid can you be?
Old 05-15-2009, 12:44 AM   #8
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

so a gentleman on the radio today, that is close to the investigation says they have a problem with the claims of floyd paying money out... first the guy denied it a year ago, but the big problem is the date the money was supposedly payed out in a beverly hills resturant by floyd... usc was in airizona for a game
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:55 AM   #9
dab0yech0
3 Ball like Piatkowski

dab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
so a gentleman on the radio today, that is close to the investigation says they have a problem with the claims of floyd paying money out... first the guy denied it a year ago, but the big problem is the date the money was supposedly payed out in a beverly hills resturant by floyd... usc was in airizona for a game

I guess he will try to change the story now and say it wasn't really Floyd that met with him it was a double I dont know but I hope nothing happens to USC because they are my school/team
dab0yech0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:04 AM   #10
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dab0yech0
I guess he will try to change the story now and say it wasn't really Floyd that met with him it was a double I dont know but I hope nothing happens to USC because they are my school/team
probably just say he got the wrong day, or heard it wrong from Guillory in the first place... the problem with these investigations is the NCAA has no power..unless someone wants to talk they can't make anyone talk...

the thing i find funny is once again we have some guy (johnson) who has been dropped off the gravy train by the player or his agents and he's suddenly concerned with a team doing something improper...lol

another thing i find odd is what kind of trouble is johnson in if he is talking to the FBI, U.S. Attorney's Office and IRS? they don't get involved in NCAA investigations, and certainly not one where 1000 dollars is being discussed...
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:11 AM   #11
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Shocking!
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:45 AM   #12
lukeridnour08
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame414
No, it doesn't happen everywhere. Plenty of programs- good ones, at that- don't commit major violations. I'd go as far to say possibly a majority don't do that, at least not as blatantly as these allegations.

Your fooling yourself if you think that this behavior is not common.

I am personal friends w/ over 10 D1 players, and every single one received benefits.

I remember one personal experience me and my friend were rooming together at a individual camp at a university.
At nights he was invited to play pick-up w/ the coaches and players and stuff. He came back to the room that night w/ 3 pairs of brand new shoes and the warm-ups.

I saw that first hand, so there is no denying it

I have just heard stories from my other friends I am just assuming are true.

One of whom, who was getting recruited by several pac-10 schools, says he went on a visit to the campus, and the coach that picked him up from the airport asked if he wanted any clothes and drove him straight to the mall w/ gift cards to numerous stores.

And like I said earlier, of the 10 people I know personally, all 10 of them received benefits that would be considered major violations if caught.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:10 AM   #13
Go Getter
Wild 100's

Go Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFan

So Michigan is a small school?

They took away all of the Fab 5's accomplishments.
Go Getter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:50 PM   #14
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeridnour08
Your fooling yourself if you think that this behavior is not common.

I am personal friends w/ over 10 D1 players, and every single one received benefits.

I remember one personal experience me and my friend were rooming together at a individual camp at a university.
At nights he was invited to play pick-up w/ the coaches and players and stuff. He came back to the room that night w/ 3 pairs of brand new shoes and the warm-ups.

I saw that first hand, so there is no denying it

I have just heard stories from my other friends I am just assuming are true.

One of whom, who was getting recruited by several pac-10 schools, says he went on a visit to the campus, and the coach that picked him up from the airport asked if he wanted any clothes and drove him straight to the mall w/ gift cards to numerous stores.

And like I said earlier, of the 10 people I know personally, all 10 of them received benefits that would be considered major violations if caught.
You're not the only person in the world who knows people, and you're really not impressing me with the fact you know some basketball players. Further, I never said the behavior wasn't common, I said I'd be willing to bet a majority of programs don't commit major violations that blatantly.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:09 PM   #15
lukeridnour08
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame414
You're not the only person in the world who knows people, and you're really not impressing me with the fact you know some basketball players. Further, I never said the behavior wasn't common, I said I'd be willing to bet a majority of programs don't commit major violations that blatantly.

I dunno you may be right.

Obviously there are some schools that play strictly by the rules, and obviously there are some schools that use that will go nuts on every recruit.

I think its arguable though that a good majority of the schools in between will commit recruiting violations on the regular and are well aware of what there doing.

There is no facts or anything though so this really is a dumb topic.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: