Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-17-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
playtetris
soundcloud->solarcism

playtetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default anyone appreciate jazz drumming?

this cat chris dave is f*cking phenomenal. i love hearing new drummers pushing the boundaries of the artform, and this dude is certainly doing that.

check the ride/hi-hat work in this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_eIN4RLA-E

he also kills the snare rolls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFpreczrWuY

listen to him bounce of the keys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L803NzbR2PA
playtetris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
Bean
Local High School Star

Bean is a pretty well-respected posterBean is a pretty well-respected posterBean is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: anyone appreciate jazz drumming?

Jazz drumming is one of the best styles of drumming ever, definately one of the hardest. Cats like Buddy Rich revolutionised the game. This guy is also very hot, insane polyrythyms.
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:52 PM   #3
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Haven't been listening to much jazz stuff lately, but I found this clip of some guy with some pretty sick paradiddle grooves.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:54 PM   #4
ElPigto
*****istrator

ElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Jazz drumming is so badass.
ElPigto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:06 PM   #5
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation here

It's all good. I love drumming, was my first instrument. I'm always beating on something.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:20 PM   #6
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwJAAlXomVk
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:23 PM   #7
32jazz
Local High School Star

32jazz has decent reputation32jazz has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by playtetris
this cat chris dave is f*cking phenomenal. i love hearing new drummers pushing the boundaries of the artform, and this dude is certainly doing that.

check the ride/hi-hat work in this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_eIN4RLA-E

he also kills the snare rolls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFpreczrWuY

listen to him bounce of the keys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L803NzbR2PA

Thanks for the clips I was not aware of this guy, but he will defiinitely be on my radar now. Clips say he works with The Robert Glasper Trio & I normally go the other direction, for the most part, when it's a Tradiditional Jazz Trio(Piano/Bass/Drums).

Although my personal favorite drummers of today are 'Tain' Watts & Herlin Riley(great live show & his soul/warmth/showmanship) this guy certainly has great chops/creativity.

Only if Jazz had more young guys like him to keep the genre fresh & open to new ideas ,although I myself sometimes get stuck in the Marsalis/Crouch (in the words of critics)'Neo classical Jazz' camp.

Would be interesting to hear him collaborate with a young visionary like Jason Moran(acoustic only though).

Last edited by 32jazz : 05-17-2009 at 02:26 PM.
32jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:24 PM   #8
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Art Blakey is easily my favorite.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:42 PM   #9
32jazz
Local High School Star

32jazz has decent reputation32jazz has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
Art Blakey is easily my favorite.

You are wheeling out the GOATS now. That's unfair to this young man & would be like comparing a young Kukoc to Magic or Miner to MJ.

The frst time I heard Blakely wail away( I had the volume up real high not expecting the thunder about to come from those speakers) heart raced for a second & scared the crap ouuta me.

I really like his Jazz Messanger with Thelonius Monk(perhaps my favorite musician along with Duke/Mingus) & have The Best of the Jazz Messengers, Caravan , A Night in Tunisia & a live CD with Clifford Brown .

Those are the only four I have of Blakely(I think) . Is there any in the Blakely catalogue besides those that you prefer/suggest?
32jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:51 PM   #10
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Moanin' is easily his most famous CD. Freedom Rider, A Night in Tunisia, Live at the Birdland 1 & 2, Live at the Jazz Corner of the World, Hard Bop, The Big Beat, and At the Cafe Bohemia 1 & 2 are all his best records when the band was at its best: Horace Silver, Hank Mobley, Lou Donaldson, Kenny Burrell, Lee Morgan, and Bobby Timmons all in and out of the band.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:05 PM   #11
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

It's the best drumming there is. Sure, sometimes I wanna listen to someone just trying to break the drums, but the rythm that a jazz drummer produces is almost orgasmic.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:48 AM   #12
playtetris
soundcloud->solarcism

playtetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul

buddy rich absolutely slaughters that clip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32jazz
Thanks for the clips I was not aware of this guy, but he will defiinitely be on my radar now. Clips say he works with The Robert Glasper Trio & I normally go the other direction, for the most part, when it's a Tradiditional Jazz Trio(Piano/Bass/Drums).

Although my personal favorite drummers of today are 'Tain' Watts & Herlin Riley(great live show & his soul/warmth/showmanship) this guy certainly has great chops/creativity.

Only if Jazz had more young guys like him to keep the genre fresh & open to new ideas ,although I myself sometimes get stuck in the Marsalis/Crouch (in the words of critics)'Neo classical Jazz' camp.

Would be interesting to hear him collaborate with a young visionary like Jason Moran(acoustic only though).

the glasper trio does play traditional, almost ahmad jamal-esque jazz (glasper's phrasing has the same appreciation of space as ahmad IMO), but both robert glasper and chris dave also collaborate on more progressive projects. both are loosely involved in the hip hop scene, and fuse the two genres of music on occasion (when performing as 'the experiment'). they tend to dabble with alternative band lineups/instrumentation and the result is often quite sublime.
playtetris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:40 AM   #13
Brunch@Five
College superstar

Brunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputation

Vinnie Colaiuta and Dave Weckl are probably my favorite drummers right now.

Also if you're really going for good rhythms, check out anything Avishai Cohen (base) has done. Either his own trio or in Chick Corea's New Trio with Jeff Ballard.
I can really recommend his CD "Gently Disturbed"

one track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGJd_...eature=related
Brunch@Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:43 PM   #14
dawsey6
/thread

dawsey6 has decent reputationdawsey6 has decent reputation

Philly Joe is one of my all-time favs. He has an absolutely bounce with his brush work, especially up-tempo brush work.
dawsey6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:52 PM   #15
A_RastaMon
Irie Mon!

A_RastaMon has an OK reputation so far

Rasta Drums!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXBq-EiT0R4
A_RastaMon is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: