Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 05-20-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
Interminator
Banned

Interminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation here
Default 76ers Interested In Villanova Coach Jay Wright

Quote:
Elsewhere, I will not ignore a text message from a reliable source saying Villanova head coach Jay Wright is definitely in the mix.

'Nova’s lead man was mentioned when the Sixers’ head coaching position opened up. Since then, Wright has been thought to be content on the mainline – and he might be. But with a search so secretive, nothing should be ignored.

Calls and e-mails to confirm Wright’s involvement were not immediately returned.
http://csnphilly.com/pages/landing_0...723&feedID=717

Doubt he takes it unless the money is too much to pass up.

It gives him a chance at the NBA, he may be successful or may fail but it is something that both Pitino & Caliparri utilized in their recruiting when they returned to the college ranks.

Hes only 47, in the prime of his coaching career.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: 76ers Interested In Villanova Coach Jay Wright

Jay has said that the only way he leaves Nova is for an NBA coaching position; it's his dream. He already is Philly's posterboy for basketball success.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:38 PM   #3
STelfair31
National High School Star

STelfair31 has decent reputation

he wouldn't have to move his family.. he might just take it..
STelfair31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:42 PM   #4
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Dei Lynam (I think you guys might know her from her work with TNT, I'll post a pic at the bottom) is usually a very reliable source. Her dad Jim is an assistant on the sixers. And she very rarely reports something that's a rumor and usually won't begin to discuss it if it's just hearsay. That said, I think Jay stays even if offered the job.

Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:56 PM   #5
Interminator
Banned

Interminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three
Jay has said that the only way he leaves Nova is for an NBA coaching position; it's his dream. He already is Philly's posterboy for basketball success.
Yeah it makes a lot of sense.

Hes already accomplished a lot at Villanova, no NCAA Championship but a few Final Fours and Sweet 16's.

Going to the NBA espescially on a team like Philadelphia that is a Playoff team makes sense in the prime of your coaching career.

If successful, you will have a long career as a NBA coach and be viewed as one of the few coaches to have success in college & in the NBA.

If unsuccessful, you still have your reputation as a college coach and experience in the pros and can land another top job in college basketball.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:32 PM   #6
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Jay Wright is Villanova basketball. The school, the community, heck even bball fans in general love Jay Wright at Nova. I can not see him leaving now to coach the Sixers. I'd be utterly shocked. I think he has made a large buzz coaching wise because of his success at Nova. So its one of those things where his name is listed and he is given an interview. Could be respect. Could be serious and to see where his head is at. Not disputing Sixers arent interested. I'm sure they are. I dont see Jay accepting or rather be interested.

Couple years down the road he'll sink his teeth in. Not now.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:49 PM   #7
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

I don't think it can hurt trying out in the NBA unless he's really, really in love with Villanova and his players. The NBA only comes knocking on college coaches every so often and if he doesn't take it now he may not get another chance. If he fails, it should be no biggie he'll still be a hot commodity in the college world.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:49 AM   #8
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
“Last week, Ed reached out to me to see if I would be willing to speak to him about the Sixers’ coaching position,” stated Wright. “He is a longtime friend of mine whom I have great respect for and is someone I talk to often. We had a lively conversation about the vision Ed has for the Sixers organization. As a lifelong Sixers fan, I was honored to be part of the process.

“Following our meeting, I called Ed to thank him and requested that he remove me from consideration. I love Villanova and it is where I want to be. I am grateful to the Sixers for including me in the process. There is a lot to look forward to for Sixer fans like me with the young talent they have put together and the leadership of Ed Stefanski.”
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...nterested.html
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:27 PM   #9
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

No shocker there.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:38 PM   #10
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

All right! I like Jay at Villanova.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:41 PM   #11
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
Makes sense.

He has a good recruiting class coming in, maybe if another team comes knocking down the line he'll jump.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:47 AM   #12
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

TheGame414 has decent reputationTheGame414 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three
I don't think it can hurt trying out in the NBA unless he's really, really in love with Villanova and his players. The NBA only comes knocking on college coaches every so often and if he doesn't take it now he may not get another chance. If he fails, it should be no biggie he'll still be a hot commodity in the college world.
On the contrary, he's on the verge of building something special at Villanova and may have no shortage of NBA opportunities down the line. He has the bulk of a Final Four team coming back with a top-notch recruiting class to add to it, and could be close to building 'Nova into a consistently elite program. He appears to have the right demeanor for the NBA. The NBA may not go after college coaches that often, but if someone like Tom Izzo seriously wanted to go to the league, he could probably have a job any year he wanted one. I think Wright may not be far from becoming that kind of guy.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: