Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Dallas Mavericks Forum

Dallas Mavericks Forum Dallas Mavericks message board - mavs message board - dallas mavericks fan forum

Old 10-10-2006, 10:16 AM   #1
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

Default 1st Preseason Game Mavs-Hornets

Quote:
Avery Johnson gets paid to make tough decisions, but this one was easy. He declared Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Terry and Jerry Stackhouse out of the preseason opener tonight against New Orleans because of a variety of aches and pains. Nowitzki's workload will be monitored closely after a summer in which he played for the German national team. Terry has taken several practices off to rest his ankles and knees. Stackhouse had knee trouble last season, when he sat out until Christmas. Johnson wants to avoid any repeat performance. "We have some soreness that can turn into some situations that we'll have to manage all year," Johnson said. We're trying to get over the hump with that now." In addition, Devin Harris was held out of Monday's practice because of a left hamstring problem, but he is expected to suit up tonight.

Looks like the starters are going to get light minutes this preseason. I'd expect a token appearance by Dirk and Jet Thursday in the preseason home game for the crowd. I wouldn't be surprised if Stack just gets a little burn the last couple of games. Seems like they want everyone healthy to hit the ground running when the season starts. At least we will get a good look at the new guys trying to make the last roster spot. Plus extended minutes for the free agent signings and players like MBenga.

Let's get this thing started!!
Silent Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:02 AM   #2
flamethrower42
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Talking Count me in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Mav
Looks like the starters are going to get light minutes this preseason. I'd expect a token appearance by Dirk and Jet Thursday in the preseason home game for the crowd. I wouldn't be surprised if Stack just gets a little burn the last couple of games. Seems like they want everyone healthy to hit the ground running when the season starts. At least we will get a good look at the new guys trying to make the last roster spot. Plus extended minutes for the free agent signings and players like MBenga.

Let's get this thing started!!

This has been the longest off-season in years, yet it's been the shortest in Mavs history by us making the finals.

One thing that article said was Devin has another nagging hamstring problem. Lets hope he will get past this one and avoid another one.
Anthony Johnson is waiting for any opportunity to play and Devin would be wise not to help him find an opening.
This game will give guys fighting for a spot a chance to step up.
flamethrower42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:35 AM   #3
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

I'm sure the Mavs will keep a close eye on Devin's hamstring. They don't want a repeat of last year. The biggest problem might be Devin himself. I think you make a very good point that AJ is breathing down his neck for playing time. Devin just might play when he shouldn't and do himself more harm than good.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:55 PM   #4
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

Some thoughts on the preseason game last night. Listened to it on the radio so none of this is from actually watching the game.

As advertised, no Dirk, Jet or Stack. But Devin joined them in the DNP catagory. Looks like he'll be out 10 days with his hammy. Could be a big factor in determining the starting lineup for the season opener.

Mavs started out good with a lineup of AJ, Buckner, Josh, Croshere and Damp. Got out to an early lead on the Hornets. Damp was hitting the boards well. From there on it was pretty much revolving players for the rest of the game. Hornet had their starters in for almost the whole 3rd quarter and the Mavs bench played them even. 4th quarter was Ager, Barea, Washington, Pops, and Mbenga. They hung with them but didn't do well down the stretch. But then with 4 rookies and DJ, you can't be too disappointed.

Noone shot particularly well. Ager is not afraid to shoot and launched 13 shots, making 4. Also 2-5 for ft's, that's not going to cut it. Josh was 5-14 with 5-8 on ft's. Mbenga showed a little range and a little more offense. Look for him to get more burn in preseason. And don't be surprised to see him log some minutes at pf this year.

Diop got the fewest minutes of those who played. Maybe they know what he can do and want to see Damp and DJ? I don't know, but I'll be watching this Thursday night.

Barea threw down a decent stat line. People seem to like this kid but his height is going to be a problem. Nothing else really stood out from listening to it. Maybe someone who actually saw it can contribute.

With them wanting to rest Dirk, and watching Jet and Stack's minutes to keep them healthy. I expect to see a lot of preseason games go like this one. With the big guns playing in a couple of games to shake the rust off and get their game legs. Well see Thursday night if I have a clue about any of this.

If anyone else saw or listened to the game. Jump on in here and let us know what you thought.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:02 PM   #5
soog
I brick open layups

missed it on HDNET, hoping cuban will re-air it
soog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:07 PM   #6
mavsfan4zindagi
Decent college freshman

I'm just hoping we don't get any significant injuries here in the preseason and I like the fact that Avery isn't risking anything.

Let the guys rest and make sure they're as healthy as possible come Nov 2.

Devin's fragility is pretty concerning though.
mavsfan4zindagi is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: