Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 10-10-2006, 05:10 PM   #1
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Default Pre-season game log.

This is just a little preview of what the regular season game log will be.

Preseason: 2-5

Vs. Magic Loss 109-90
Vs. Milwaukee Loss 104-100
Vs. Washington Loss 100-91
At Washington Loss 100-84
At Indiana Loss 109-96
Vs. Indiana Win 101-89
At Milwaukee Win 126-124
Oct. 27 at Atlanta

Last edited by Timmeh : 10-27-2006 at 04:49 PM.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:40 PM   #2
BullsBigMan29
I hit open 5-footers

Go Cats. I actually have a feeling thet Charlotte may make the playoffs.
BullsBigMan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:12 PM   #3
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullsBigMan29
Go Cats. I actually have a feeling thet Charlotte may make the playoffs.

Even though the Cats may begin on a slow note, until they get used to playing together, I think that everyone will be surprised with their performance. It will be an exciting season.
onewickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 04:10 PM   #4
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

from Charlotte Observer:
Quote:
JEFF SINER
Charlotte Bobcats rookie forward Adam Morrison passes the ball to a teammate as Orlando Magic defender Bo Outlaw applies defensive pressure.
Slideshow: | Game action
Sorensen | Howard surpasses Okafor
Observations | Rick Bonnell
Williams back on court tonight
Pacers' Stephen Jackson sorry for fight
Nuggets exercise option on Karl contract
This is precisely what Adam Morrison is paid to do, so the fact that he did it isn't much of a surprise.

But to do it this well, this soon, can't help but turn your head.

In the first exhibition of his first NBA season, Morrison was clearly the best Charlotte Bobcat and nearly the best player on the court. He had 19 points on 7-of-14 shooting.

That wasn't enough to avoid a 109-90 loss to the Orlando Magic on Tuesday night, but it was sufficient to have his teammates buzzing about his impact.

"Adam is a shooter -- get him open shots, and he'll do that every night,'' point guard Raymond Felton said.

Maybe so, but can he do it any more spectacularly than he did at the end of the first quarter? That's when he swished a three with no time left on the clock, drawing a shriek from the crowd. It's what Morrison did all through college at Gonzaga, but it was also the sort of play you almost never saw from a Bobcat the past two seasons.

"He did what he's supposed to do," coach Bernie Bickerstaff said. "We actually got after him for passing up another" open shot in the second quarter.

Morrison was happy with his performance, though not quite satisfied. He's still learning what's expected of him as a defender, and that's not always a pretty process.

"I got beat a couple of times," he said, perhaps referring to the 14 points ex-Bobcat Keith Bogans scored for Orlando. "And my shot selection -- I took some bad shots."

He admitted to jitters early, at least until he hit his first shot, as a reserve nearly 10 minutes into the game. He wasn't particularly impressed with himself.

"That's what they brought me here to do, and it was just the preseason," he said.

"I guess the surprise so far -- and it's not totally a surprise -- is everybody is really good. You've got to adjust to the fact that everybody in this league can score."

Notes

• Guard Brevin Knight sprained his right ankle in the first quarter and didn't return.

• The Bobcats played without Primoz Brezec and Bernard Robinson (both ill) and Melvin Ely (left knee strain.)
that sounds great. I'm glad Morrison hasn't lost his touch. This is exactly what we needed him to do. Too bad we couldn't pull out the win but a good sign none the less
Old 10-13-2006, 04:08 PM   #5
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Preview for tonights game against the Bucks

Bobcatsbasketball.com
Quote:
The Bobcats will look to bounce back from their 109-90 loss to the Magic on Tuesday as they host the Bucks at 7 p.m. Friday at Charlotte Bobcats Arena.

Charlotte will be hosting Milwaukee in what will be their second preseason game. The Bobcats finished 0-3 against the Bucks last season, but were in every game against Milwaukee, losing by an average of 5.7 points.

Raymond Felton contributed consistent play against the Bucks in 2005-06, averaging 14.7 points and 6.7 assists in three games.

While they only played one game against the Bucks each last year, Bobcats co-captains Gerald Wallace and Brevin Knight found success in their respective contests.

G-Force had 21 points, 15 rebounds, eight steals and four assists in his lone contest, while Knight posted 12 points and 15 assists.

Wallace looked strong in Charlotte's first preseason game, putting up 14 points, two rebounds, one block and one steal, while Knight played just four minutes and 21 seconds before leaving with and ankle injury. Knight missed practice on Thursday and his status for Friday's game is in question.

The Bobcats struggled from long range against Milwaukee last season, shooting .292 from three-point range, but the addition of Adam Morrison should help boost that statistic. If the team's first preseason game against the Magic was any indication of his Morrison's scoring ability, then his game-high 19 points on 7-14 shooting, including 2-2 from beyond the arc, are a good sign of things to come.

Milwaukee got strong play from shooting guard Michael Redd last season to the tune of 26.3 points and have added another solid scoring option in Charlie Villanueva. The impressive second-year forward came to the Bucks via a trade with Toronto in the offseason in exchange for point guard T.J. Ford.

The Bucks will be without 2005-06 1st overall pick, Andrew Bogut, who is out with a lower leg injury.
Maybe with the absence of Bogut, guys like Okafor and Brezec can get some big points down low.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:17 PM   #6
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

Question

Quote.."G-Force had 21 points, 15 rebounds, eight steals and four assists in his lone contest......"

With stats like that, why isn't GW more recognized for his abilities around the league???
Old 10-13-2006, 04:40 PM   #7
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Probably because the Cats don't get as much airtime as the other teams do. If he played for a team like the Knicks, Heat, Mavs, Spurs or Lakers and put up those kinds of numbers, he'd be in the same tier as guys like Carter, McGrady and others.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:11 PM   #8
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

who the hell is Will Conroy? He's playing for the Cats tonight. Voskuhl, Knight and Ely aren't on the roster.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:16 AM   #9
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
who the hell is Will Conroy? He's playing for the Cats tonight. Voskuhl, Knight and Ely aren't on the roster.

Conroy and Donta Smith are trying out for spots on the roster.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:16 PM   #10
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Another tough loss. I hope this won't be the trend this year. We were up in the 3rd quarter but our lack of being unable to finish out games shot us in the foot again.
bobcatsbasketball.com
Quote:
The Bobcats pushed the Bucks to the limit on Friday at Charlotte Bobcats Arena, but in the end, Charlotte’s strong all-around play wasn’t enough earn them their first victory in their second preseason game.

Milwaukee was able to outlast Charlotte 104-100 in a contest that featured 21 lead changes, and despite the loss, there were many positives for Charlotte to take away from this one.

The Bobcats out-rebounded the Bucks 40-38, and shot better from the field (43.8 percent) and from the three-point line (35.7 percent) than in their previous game against Orlando.

The Bobcats had no problem scoring either, finishing with six players in double figures.

“The core group was pretty good,” said Bobcats General Manager and Head Coach Bernie Bickerstaff. “I thought they came out and played really well in the third quarter, in fact, we increased the lead.”

Raymond Felton scored a team-high 20 points and added six rebounds, a team-leading five assists, two steals and one block. Felton also carried over his fine shooting from Tuesday night, going 3-3 from beyond the arc, while attacking the basket relentlessly.

Not to be outdone by his former Tar Heel teammate, Sean May played solid off the bench, adding 17 points, nine rebounds, three assists and two steals.

“Sean really knows how to play,” said Bickerstaff. “A lot of people play well off of Sean.”

"It’s the preseason. We’re really concerned about the way that we play. (The fans) see that we’re still going out there playing hard, and that’s what Bobcats basketball is all about."
-- Sean May
Gerald Wallace continued to live up to the nickname “G-Force,” slamming down an alley-oop pass from Felton late in the second quarter and swatting a Dan Gadzuric shot inside for the highlight block of the game. He finished with 11 points, three rebounds and two blocks.

Rookie Ryan Hollins also showcased his skills above the rim, capping off his 10-point night with a thunderous dunk late in the fourth. Matt Carroll also impressed off the bench, shooting 5-8 from the field on his way to a 13-point night. Rookie Adam Morrison chipped in 11 points as he earned his first start of the preseason.

Charlotte took an 81-74 lead into the final 12 minutes and built the lead to as many as nine points in the frame, but its reserves couldn’t hold off a late Bucks run on the way to the loss.

Michael Redd finished with a game-high 21 points for Milwaukee, while Charlie Bell contributed with 16 points and David Noel added 14 points.

Melvin Ely sat out his second-straight game with knee soreness, while Brevin Knight (ankle), Alan Anderson (foot) and Jake Voskuhl (knee) all did not dress.

The Bobcats will look to bounce back in the Cool School Field Trip game against Washington at 10 a.m. on Monday, October 16.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INSIDE THE LOCKER ROOM
Bobcats Head Coach Bernie Bickerstaff
(On the game) The core group was pretty good. I thought the third quarter was really what we wanted. I thought they came out and played really well in the third quarter, in fact, we increased the lead. That’s what we have to do, so I’m pleased with the performance of our core group. The fourth quarter, with the group that we had in there, we just didn’t get a shot off. We had 22 turnovers and I don’t know that we got a good possession late in the fourth quarter. They have to get an opportunity to play though.

(On Emeka Okafor) I thought Emeka’s stamina was much better. We were trying to get him as many minutes as we could and I thought his activity was much better. He ended up with nine rebounds. He needs to play.

(On Sean May and Matt Carroll playing well off of each other) A lot of people play well off of Sean (May). Sean really knows how to play. Matt started to make shots. We got him shots and he took them. He’s been hesitating on taking his shots. What we tell the guys when we start the game is that we want to get plenty of shots and we only took 73 tonight. We want to shoot it and clean it up on the offensive boards.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bobcats guard Raymond Felton
(On not being a rookie anymore) I know what to expect and I know what’s going on out there within the offense. Just understanding the NBA game period. That one year under my belt definitely helps me out.

(On his shooting) I try to work on everything, definitely my outside jump shot and my inside-the-lane jump shot. I’m trying to work on everything to make me better.

(On Adam Morrison) He brings another scorer, another competitive person who loves the game and that wants to win. He’s another shooter, a shooter that we needed to add to the team, along with Matt Carroll and some of the other guys.

Bobcats forward Sean May
(On getting back on the court after last year’s injury)
It feels good. It’s been a while since I’ve played and I’m just trying to get back and use the preseason to try to get my stride back and get back into the swing of things. I feel good. I feel like I’m at 100%, I’ve just got to still get used to playing these minutes and take care of my body, because 25 games last year wasn’t a whole lot.

(On improving his jump shot over the summer) That’s something I try to do in the summer. Every year you have to add a little bit to your game and help open up things for me and the other big guys inside. It helps to get out and stretch the defense a little bit.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:33 PM   #11
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

Unhappy

Two things are in constant need of improvement, season in and season out: making the free-throw shots and creating more second-chance situations. Being outscored in the 4th quarter in something nearing a landslide takes us back to the Cats first season and I don't think that anyone wants to go there............
Old 10-16-2006, 04:10 PM   #12
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Yet another tough loss. It's not that our offense sucks, our defense just needs to get things together. And what's weird is that I would see Charlotte as a defensive minded team. Oh well, hopefully we will get the losses out in the preseason and get the W's in the regular season when it counts.

Charlotte Observer:
Quote:
Antawn Jamison scored 22 points Monday to lead the Washington Wizards to a 100-91 exhibition victory over the Charlotte Bobcats.

Jamison made 9-of-14 shots from the floor, including 3-of-6 3-pointers, in three quarters. Caron Butler added 17 points for Washington (2-2), which shot 55 percent.

Gerald Wallace scored 22 points to lead the Bobcats, who dropped to 0-and-3 in the preseason. He was the only Bobcat to reach double figures.

Washington played without star guard Gilbert Arenas, who was given the day off. Swingman Jarvis Hayes also missed the game because of a mild left ankle sprain.

Charlotte forward Melvin Ely scored 7 points in his first action of the preseason after being sidelined by a left knee strain.

Jamison hit a pair of 3-pointers during an 11-0 run that gave the Wizards a 66-55 lead with 7:18 remaining in the third quarter. The Wizards never trailed after that and built the lead to 16 points several times in the fourth quarter.

The Wizards led 53-47 at halftime after shooting nearly 61 percent from the floor in the first 24 minutes.

Jamison, who played his college ball at North Carolina and prepped at Providence High, scored 16 points on 7-of-11 shooting in the first half.

The game was played early so students and teachers from area schools could attend.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:27 PM   #13
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Quote:
CHAPEL HILL - Perhaps the Charlotte Bobcats need to forget that these games don't count in the standings.

Based on their play, they're too aware that these are exhibitions. They're 0-4, after a 100-84 loss Tuesday night to the Washington Wizards that continued several troubling patterns.

They shoot poorly (36 percent) because they don't get the ball inside. They rebound poorly because they get so little from their best big men. And they don't seem to listen when their coach screams out the obvious during timeouts.

Nearly every timeout Tuesday at the Smith Center contained a plea by coach Bernie Bickerstaff to start feeding the ball inside. That cry for help never was heeded.

"We are a team that listens," said Bobcats forward Sean May (11 points, six rebounds). "But Washington has done a great job of clogging the middle. Us knocking down some jump shots would change that," forcing the Wizards to spread their defense.

May was right, in a vacuum -- hitting more jumpers would spread Washington out of the lane. But that's not the whole story of the Bobcats' struggles. They're settling far too often for 20-footers and 3-pointers, and they're not doing much to grab their misses.

"We're not getting enough opportunities,'' May said. "That's up to me and Mek (Emeka Okafor) to get those offensive rebounds."

May and Okafor totaled three offensive rebounds Tuesday. That was partially because of Okafor's foul trouble. He committed five fouls in just over 13 minutes and sat out the second half. It was a troubling reminder of his game against the Orlando Magic, in which he committed five fouls in six minutes while trying to guard Dwight Howard.

One foul-filled game is a fluke. Two starts looking like a pattern.

"He's got to earn his respect back" from the officials, Bickerstaff said. "And continue to play."

Okafor found the whole thing befuddling. "It seems like every ticky-tack (play) is a foul," Okafor said. "I just don't know how to explain it."

He has about two weeks to figure it out, because the real games start Nov. 1.

Wizards forward Antawn Jamison, in a homecoming of sorts at his alma mater, dominated Okafor with 17 points and eight rebounds.

The only Bobcats who played particularly well were Gerald Wallace (17 points and nine rebounds) and Matt Carroll (11 points off six shots from the field).

"We're not shooting the ball (well) -- it's just that simple," Bickerstaff concluded. "And a lot of those were open shots."
We have about 2 weeks before the season starts and if we don't get most of these problems fixed, this will be a long, long season.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:08 PM   #14
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

NBA.com
Quote:
INDIANAPOLIS, Oct. 19 (Ticker) -- On a night when the Indiana Pacers were without Jermaine O'Neal, Al Harrington showed he could be the man.

Harrington scored 25 points to lead the Pacers to a 109-96 preseason victory over the winless Charlotte Bobcats.

Harrington was one of the top free agents on the market this summer before returning to the Pacers in a sign-and-trade with Atlanta. The 6-9 forward shot 10-of-16 from the field and scored 11 points in both the first and third quarters as Indiana snapped its preseason losing streak at three games.

Indiana outscored Charlotte by eight points to take an 83-77 advantage to start the fourth quarter and opened a double-digit margin late in the period.

O'Neal did not play because of a sore left hamstring. He is listed as day-to-day.

Josh Powell scored 14 of his 20 points in the second half, Stephen Jackson added 18 points and Jamaal Tinsley handed out 12 assists for Indiana, which shot 52 percent (37-of-71).

Melvin Ely and Alan Anderson each scored 15 points to lead Charlotte. Emeka Okafor added 14 points and eight rebounds for the Bobcats, who shot 40 percent (33-of-82) and fell to 0-5 in the preseason.
Good to see Ely and Anderson step up...that's about it.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:01 AM   #15
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

Talking

You notice that the article didn't say anything about those periods in the game where the Cats were mightily ahead of the Pacers............
Some of our guys--specifically B-Rob and Anderson--played like they want to keep their jobs. In my mind, at least, this makes the job of deciding which two players to cut from the team a bit more difficult. I'm glad that it's not up to me!
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: