Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-11-2009, 01:06 AM   #1
Knuck the Ficks
Come touch it, Dave

Knuck the Ficks is a pretty well-respected posterKnuck the Ficks is a pretty well-respected posterKnuck the Ficks is a pretty well-respected poster
Default The World Cup is exactly one year away ... who's the favourite?

The teams I think are most likely to lift the trophy are as follows:

1. Brazil - seem to have found their way

2. Spain - the best team in Europe by far. Ranked behind Brazil because I can't ignore the fact that a European team has never won the cup outside the continent

3. Argentina - unbelievably talented squad though they have been in bad form lately. Appointing Maradona as coach was a mistake.

4. Holland - the first European team to qualify and will beat up any team in poor form. But what can they do agains more quality opposition?

5. England - I really tried to find another team to put here. They always have enough talent to make the second round or even the quarters and the same holds here. If they actually won Capello might just get a ******* from the Queen.

6. Italy - The defending champs are here out of respect but anyone who says that they deserve a higher place is delusional. Not based on current form anyway. Cannavarro is clearly past it.

7. Germany - Nearly always perform well at tournaments no matter how mediocre their squad may seem.

8. Ivory Coast - I'm putting them here because the location of the tournament should theoretically provide an advantage to the African nations.

I've listed eight teams but to be honest I would be surprised if anyone outside of the top three won. Portugal have been horrible and are in real danger of not qualifying while France no longer listen to their coach.

Am I missing anyone? Russia maybe?
Knuck the Ficks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:10 AM   #2
canadianballer
Banned

canadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercanadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercanadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercanadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercanadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercanadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercanadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercanadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: The World Cup is exactly one year away ... who's the favourite?

canada fa sho

...but noe one really gives a sh!t about soccer
canadianballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:11 AM   #3
Knuck the Ficks
Come touch it, Dave

Knuck the Ficks is a pretty well-respected posterKnuck the Ficks is a pretty well-respected posterKnuck the Ficks is a pretty well-respected poster

Please ignore the little cumstain who just said no one gave a shit about an event more watched than the Olympics.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:18 AM   #4
IlliniFan
Very good NBA starter

IlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Spain has a very talented team every world cup, but they always find a way to lose. Still, I'm expecting them to finally win. Ive rooted for Germany since I was little, so I'll be pulling for them. I would hate for Brazil to win another one though, just because they always seem to be the favorite every time around. They will surely be the favorite again in 2014.
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:20 AM   #5
kaiteng
CONGRATS MAN XD

kaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianballer
canada fa sho

...but noe one really gives a sh!t about soccer

They can't even beat Honduras or Jamaica, let alone surprisingly horrible Mexico......
kaiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:25 AM   #6
Atomic DOG
Banned

Atomic DOG has decent reputation

just hunches...
Atomic DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:27 AM   #7
vapid
Paranoid Android

vapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation here

I'm liking Spain.
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:30 AM   #8
Atomic DOG
Banned

Atomic DOG has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapid
I'm liking Spain.

im thoroughly surprised you did not try to convince us China's a sleeper or that Japan is gonna surprise people, or Korea is the team to beat this year.

i'm not even joking. i really thought you'd try to squeeze asia in this somehow.
Atomic DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:34 AM   #9
plowking
Banned

plowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Argentina and I wouldn't be surprised to see Portugal do well if they actually get through.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:36 AM   #10
kaiteng
CONGRATS MAN XD

kaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

An interesting note:
In Asian qualification tournament where usual suspects Japan, South Korea and Australia are already qualified, there are still pne and a half spot (5th place will face New Zealand for the last spot) left for these 3 teams; Iran, Saudi Arabia and North f'ing Korea.

Yes, that's right. Dear Leader Kim's team is still alive and kicking, and now has the better chance to qualify than other two. If they beat Saudi Arabia next week we will have the most interesting World Cup ever.
kaiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:37 AM   #11
vapid
Paranoid Android

vapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic DOG
im thoroughly surprised you did not try to convince us China's a sleeper or that Japan is gonna surprise people, or Korea is the team to beat this year.

i'm not even joking. i really thought you'd try to squeeze asia in this somehow.
tough day at Macy's today?
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:57 AM   #12
Ben Jordan
Good High School Starter

Ben Jordan has a near all-star reputation hereBen Jordan has a near all-star reputation hereBen Jordan has a near all-star reputation hereBen Jordan has a near all-star reputation hereBen Jordan has a near all-star reputation hereBen Jordan has a near all-star reputation here

How about Ecuador? they beat Argentina this week.

Though, I'll be rooting for the USA and Mexico if they make it. My pick to win the cup is Portugal.
Ben Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:58 AM   #13
Ben Jordan
Good High School Starter

Ben Jordan has a near all-star reputation hereBen Jordan has a near all-star reputation hereBen Jordan has a near all-star reputation hereBen Jordan has a near all-star reputation hereBen Jordan has a near all-star reputation hereBen Jordan has a near all-star reputation here

Also, I'm looking to get tickets to travel to South Africa next summer.
Ben Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:18 AM   #14
Knuck the Ficks
Come touch it, Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic DOG
I know that you're being sarcastic but I do in fact think at least one Asian team will exceed expectations next year (and I'm including Australia in this context).

The South African climate may play a major role in a team's progress. Teams like Korea, Japan and Australia have had to play in quite testing conditions in countries such as Indonesia and Qatar just to qualify. They weather may not have the same effect as it does on others.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:20 AM   #15
Knuck the Ficks
Come touch it, Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jordan
How about Ecuador? they beat Argentina this week.

Though, I'll be rooting for the USA and Mexico if they make it. My pick to win the cup is Portugal.
Portugal are in major danger of not even qualifying. If it wasn't for a late winner against Albania last week they would almost certainly be out of contention.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: