Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Minnesota Timberwolves Forum

Minnesota Timberwolves Forum Minnesota Timberwolves forum - Minnesota T-Wolves message board

Old 10-11-2006, 10:55 PM   #1
jrt1584
High School JV MVP

jrt1584 has an OK reputation so far
Default First Preseason Game

Didn't watch it, but a few observations from just looking at the box score...

-First of all, we won 98-93.
-KG was 7 of 7 from the field and 3 of 4 from the line for 17 pts.
-Ricky Davis was 4 of 5 from 3pt range and led the team with 22 pts.
-Mark Blount actually had 8 rebounds and 2 blocks to go along with his 7 pts. Problem is, he had 7 turnovers as well.
-Looks like the Wolves are gonna give Jaric lots of playing time in hopes of trading him before the all-star break.
-Craig Smith had 9 pts and 6 rebounds in only 15 minutes.
-Eddie Griffin had 10 rebounds in only 19 minutes, and NO 3 pt attempts!

I hope the Wolves are just showcasing Jaric to show teams what he's got because once McCants comes back, he'll be someone the Wolves will be able to ship outta here for another big man.
jrt1584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:56 PM   #2
final.wrath
Banned

final.wrath has decent reputationfinal.wrath has decent reputation

what about foye
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:16 AM   #3
jrt1584
High School JV MVP

He definitely didn't put up the same #'s that he did in the summer league...

He was 1 of 5 from the field, 2 of 2 from the line, 4 pts, 3 rebounds, 1 assist, & 1 block in 18 minutes. The Wolves started Hassell instead of Foye. And according to Dwayne Casey, sounds like they're gonna bring Foye along slowly, just like we did with McCants last year. So anyone who was expecting to see him in the starting lineup right away (like myself), can probably expect to see Hassell start the season along with James, Davis, KG, & Blount.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:52 AM   #4
Blackeagle
I hit open layups

Blackeagle has an OK reputation so far

I was there... foye played well defensively, but his shot wasn't falling. I think it was largely due to them playing him in mccants's offensive role from early last year: stand in the corner and wait for something to happen.

that's such a a huge waste of his talent.

ricky's shot seemed to be falling from outside. jaric's too. both of those were missing last year.. they could hit long 2's pretty easily, but the 3 just didn't fall last year. both seem to have found it over the summer

jaric also looks kinda ripped this year. he put on some muscle. playing only at the 2 and 3 position (mostly the 3) should help him a lot. I always thought he was more effective at that role than PG last year anyway. he looked comfortable out there, but I'll wait before being too impressed by him. I want to see some consistancy, because he's shown flashes before.

vin baker is worthless. at least when he tries to score.. if he put all his effort into defense he may be servicable. he tried to show some offense tonight, and it was laughable.

craig smith was clearly the 2nd best big man on the wolves. behind KG. he was head and shoulders above eddie. he's not tall, but he hustles like mad dog, is built like an ox, and has a very soft touch around the basket. If he keeps it up, color me impressed by a great 2nd round pickup.

tyrone ellis looked sharp in limited minutes. he didn't get much chance to show his offensive skills, but we know he's a good shooter. he played some good tight defense though. he looked a step slow though, I think he's still getting used to the speed of the NBA game compared to europe. by slow I mean reaction time, not flat out speed.

mad dog is worthless. paul shirley is useless. both are embarassments every time they're on the floor

we went to the line enough to foul out 2 different players. part of that was the refs, but we did seem to be better at getting fouls. nice change. and that was without foye doing much

most painful part of the night: I believe the final count was 28 turnovers. at least one of them was uncounted too.. quite possibly 30 turnovers on the night

they kept trying long outlet passes and they kept getting picked off. they also had a number of 3 second violations and a few offensive fouls and travels. it was painful to watch

so was the freethrow shooting. 61% on the night... and a very large sample size. our FG% was early as high as our FT% for most of the game. I can pretty well guarantee that they'll be doing FT drills tomorrow.

for a good chunk of the game our field goal percentage was 20 points higher than the bucks'. but our lead was small because of the turnovers and FT shooting
Blackeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 03:54 AM   #5
Blackeagle
I hit open layups

also. the talk of hassell improving his 3 point shot was BS. he passed up open attempts and his teammates didn't look for him when he was open behind the arc. ricky and jaric seem to have improved their range noticably, but not hassell.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:56 PM   #6
04mzwach
NBA sixth man of the year

04mzwach is considered somewhat cool04mzwach is considered somewhat cool04mzwach is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackeagle
also. the talk of hassell improving his 3 point shot was BS. he passed up open attempts and his teammates didn't look for him when he was open behind the arc. ricky and jaric seem to have improved their range noticably, but not hassell.
Are you kidding me? Hassell was great at shooting! I didn't look at the stats but the guy was hitting shots 1-2 feet in front of the 3 point line. He also knocked down 1 or 2 three pointers. I did go to the game and Hassell's shooting improved a lot, based only on that game of course. -looks at box score- The percentage he shot doesn't do him justice.

Also KG has improved his shooting even though they have changed to the new ball. I don't think he missed one jumper. I think he had about 3 lay-ups and the other shots were just inside 3 point land and he made them all now that I look at the stats. And even during shooting practice he was hitting 90% of those shots. He looked great.

Eddie Griffin didn't look that great on defense even though he got those 10 rebounds. I can now see why the coach doesn't play him. The only thing he can do is rebound. If Eddie puts up a performance like that every night, I'd run with Blount. Blount played decent defense and even had some impressive hustle plays.

Randy Foye had trouble. All he did was shoot from the perimeter and further. The one time he did drive, he got fouled and made his free-throws. He must of got a lay-up or something in there too. Hopefully he gets better, but I don't really know. It looked like his speed wasn't as much of a factor in the NBA...I'm not sure if he just was nervous or what. Guy didn't really show off that much.

And yeah, Mike James is a cocky S.O.B. and he made a couple really dumb passing errors. I think that's just team chemistry problem though I did see him pass it into the paint when there were THREE Bucks defenders in the paint and it was a turnover. Before the game he was dancing to the music while he had the ball and at one point was spinning and dribbling just cuz he thought it was cool. Ricky was the same way in terms of cockiness but in this game...Both Mike James and Ricky played as a team and it really did show because the ball would leave their hands a lot and it wouldn't just sit with someone...we played great basketball.

It was the first time since the Cassell and Sprewell days where I would see the ball move around a lot on the outside till there was an open man. And instead of missing like we usually do, they actually were making it. I don't know if this was because of pre-season. Hassell was making wide open shots. And Ricky just kept making that three pointer. Ricky looked like he's ready to have an all star season in this game. Yeah, Jaric was pretty good. I think it helped him when we put him at SF too. He won't make as many turnovers when a little guy isn't gaurding him and he's faster than some SF too.

It didn't seem like Blount made that many errors...maybe it was all those fancy passes by James that made him turn it over....I have no clue. Also, THE TECHNICAL THING IS SO TRUE. Blount got thrown out of the game for skipping and I don't know what the second technical was for but it was dumb. Jaric got one too for complaining. Jaric didn't get any better at shooting. I'll believe it when we get into the season, because he did this last year.
04mzwach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:32 PM   #7
final.wrath
Banned

I'm going to be very dissapointed if Foye doesnt become a second option by the trade deadline. IMO, Foye should play PG and McCants SG. Mike James probably wont distribute the ball enough. Maybe he could learn. And wow...if they just have Foye standing in the corner all the time I'll be pissed. One of Foye's greatest strengths is his ability to pentrate and draw the foul. McCants can be productive cutting to the basket too. He's not just a shooter.
Seems like a big waste of talent.

How bad is Griffen's man to man defense? He's a great shotblocker and rebounder but does is he too slow in the post or what?

Flip Saunders would be making the playoffs with this lineup.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:33 PM   #8
04mzwach

04mzwach is considered somewhat cool04mzwach is considered somewhat cool04mzwach is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by final.wrath
I'm going to be very dissapointed if Foye doesnt become a second option by the trade deadline. IMO, Foye should play PG and McCants SG. Mike James probably wont distribute the ball enough. Maybe he could learn. And wow...if they just have Foye standing in the corner all the time I'll be pissed. One of Foye's greatest strengths is his ability to pentrate and draw the foul. McCants can be productive cutting to the basket too. He's not just a shooter.

How bad is Griffen's man to man defense? He's a great shotblocker and rebounder but does is he too slow in the post or what?

Yeah, we need McCants back if we want to play Foye at PG starting-wise unless he proves he can hit the jumper, or Ricky and Hassell. Otherwise when Foye drives, people won't respect the other players shot and they'll crowd the lane all the time. If Casey designs plays for him, maybe he would be more effective though. Casey, from what I've seen, doesn't give rookies much of a shot to shine.

It looked like the guys on the team were playing without him most of the time he was in there. Most of the time he got the ball he would shoot it. Griffin just doesn't know what he's doing sometimes. He's not very active at rotating and being where he's suppose to be. He will get better at it though I'm hoping. He's really mobile and quick compared to last year.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:33 PM   #9
04mzwach

Quote:

Yeah, we need McCants back if we want to play Foye at PG starting-wise unless he proves he can hit the jumper, or Ricky and Hassell. Otherwise when Foye drives, people won't respect the other players shot and they'll crowd the lane all the time. If Casey designs plays for him, maybe he would be more effective though. Casey, from what I've seen, doesn't give rookies much of a shot to shine.

It looked like the guys on the team were playing without him most of the time he was in there. Most of the time he got the ball he would shoot it. Griffin just doesn't know what he's doing sometimes. He's not very active at rotating and being where he's suppose to be. He will get better at it though I'm hoping. He's really mobile and quick compared to last year.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:29 PM   #10
Blackeagle
I hit open layups

I made a point of watching KG during warmups.. he never even attempted a 3 in warmups. before the game he was hitting about 50% of those long 2's... warming up at halftime though, he was hitting just about every one. I don't see why you think he's improved his range though. like I said, even in warmups, he never even attempted a 3, and he's always been able to hit that long 2 with consistancy

hassell... got the ball at one point in the corner behind the arc.. on one was within 20 feet of him.. he looked at the basket, hesitated, and then drove towards the defender rushing at him. got around him, but I'm pretty sure he missed the 2. it would have been the most open wolves 3 pointer of the night, but he didn't even try it. that tells me all I need to know about how confident he is in his 3 point shot.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:38 PM   #11
final.wrath
Banned

mike james, foye, and ricky davis should cover the shooting.

dude im concerned. i was thinking there would be a potential contender within a year or two in minnesota. but i'm afraid if foye doesnt get a chance to put up ROY numbers, Minnesota will miss the playoffs, KG will want out, and the rebuilding will begin.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:51 PM   #12
04mzwach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackeagle
I made a point of watching KG during warmups.. he never even attempted a 3 in warmups. before the game he was hitting about 50% of those long 2's... warming up at halftime though, he was hitting just about every one. I don't see why you think he's improved his range though. like I said, even in warmups, he never even attempted a 3, and he's always been able to hit that long 2 with consistancy

hassell... got the ball at one point in the corner behind the arc.. on one was within 20 feet of him.. he looked at the basket, hesitated, and then drove towards the defender rushing at him. got around him, but I'm pretty sure he missed the 2. it would have been the most open wolves 3 pointer of the night, but he didn't even try it. that tells me all I need to know about how confident he is in his 3 point shot.
I wasn't replying to you when I talked about KG. Last year, he wasn't hitting it as well...maybe it was a one game thing but the guy wasn't missing when I saw him at halftime so i just figured it would add up to around 90% since I saw him drill 14/15 but I could be wrong.

The Hassell thing, yeah, I think I saw that. But at least he hit the two he was wide open on. That's all we need. Last year he was a mess. I could be giving him special treatment, but i thought he looked good out there.

Griffin couldn't even hit 50% on warm-ups. Players must have to adjust a lot when they get back in shape huh? Or do you think he's just a hopeless cause with his jump-shot?
Old 10-12-2006, 11:18 PM   #13
jrt1584
High School JV MVP

I don't see why you think he's improved his range though. like I said, even in warmups, he never even attempted a 3, and he's always been able to hit that long 2 with consistancy

KG said it himself, he worked on his 3pt shot during the summer. But he also said he wasn't gonna rely on it, like Eddie Griffin for instance.

Griffin couldn't even hit 50% on warm-ups. Players must have to adjust a lot when they get back in shape huh? Or do you think he's just a hopeless cause with his jump-shot?

Don't forget that there is a new ball that everyone is getting used to and some people will adjust to it quicker than others. Not using that as an excuse for EG, thats just the reality of it.

dude im concerned. i was thinking there would be a potential contender within a year or two in minnesota. but i'm afraid if foye doesnt get a chance to put up ROY numbers, Minnesota will miss the playoffs, KG will want out, and the rebuilding will begin.

Let's not all write Randy Foye off just yet. It was the 1st preseason game, and remember his stats in the summer league and what everyone was saying about him then? Give the rookie some time.

Yeah, we need McCants back if we want to play Foye at PG starting-wise

If the Wolves want to keep KG, starting a rookie at PG and 2nd year player at SG is the last thing the Wolves will wanna do. McCants is definitely not ready to start, even when he returns. And what's with all the talk of bumping Mike James out of the starting lineup before he even plays a regular season game for us? Let's give him some time as well.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:00 AM   #14
04mzwach

Quote:
mike james, foye, and ricky davis should cover the shooting.

We are better than last year. All we need is KG, Ricky and Mike James to perform well offensively and we will be in good shape. Our defense is the really bright side this year. Great defense on 4 out of 5 positions, and hoping the center position gets better during the season with a trade, or Blount and Griffin maybe improve. Staying healthy is the most important thing we can do. We have a good starting five, whether people think we do or not. (mainly because ricky and james aren't going to get any credit)
Old 10-13-2006, 12:40 AM   #15
final.wrath
Banned

im not writing off foye. i think hes a future superstar. but will dwayne casey actually give him the ball before KG splits?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: