Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 10-12-2006, 04:58 AM   #1
LakerRaider
Great college starter

LakerRaider has an OK reputation so far
Default News On Lamar Odom, Kwame Brown, Andrew Bynum, Phil Jackson, & Jordan Farmar

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_4478757

Odom meter at full speed

BY ROSS SILER, Staff Writer

Article Last Updated:10/11/2006

09:54:04 PM PDT

EL SEGUNDO - It was the first exhibition game and the second week of October, but Lakers forward Lamar Odom didn't look like a player who went weeks this summer without picking up a basketball.

Odom led the Lakers with 18points, six assists and fiverebounds in 28 minutes of Tuesday's 94-79 win over Utah in Fresno, a reassuring performance considering he once wondered if he would play this season in the wake of his infant son's death.

For eight minutes at the start of the third quarter, Odom was the best player on the floor. He took Utah's Carlos Boozer off the dribble for two layups, connected on a 3-pointer in transition and set up forward Luke Walton for another 3.

Odom also grabbed four rebounds and pushed the ball the other way after each one. It was no coincidence the Lakers took a 12-point lead in what had been a close game at halftime.

"It was good for me individually to have a game like that to start the season off," Odom said Wednesday, "being aggressive, attacking, things like that."

After the game, Odom said he was "playing with the spirit of two people in me," referring to his son, Jayden. The day before, Odom said he wished training camp would last "four or five more days" for the sake of getting him in shape.

Odom also said the game was a learning experience in how to play without Kobe Bryant, who is recovering from knee surgery. The only blemish on his night came in missing three free throws in the fourth quarter as he tired.

Even with the tragedy in his life, Odom has retained his sense of humor. With Kwame Brown teasing him as he answered questions Wednesday, Odom declared that Brown could lead the team in rebounding.

The laughter grew as Odom adjusted those expectations upward.

"He can lead the league if he really wanted to," Odom said.

"That dude right there steals so many rebounds," Brown fired back.

"Now it's almost like, `Just box out and let him get it."'

Slap happy:

The lowlight for teenage center Andrew Bynum came in the third quarter Tuesday as he showed off a great spin move only to come up short on a point-blank shot at the rim.

Bynum was so upset he smacked himself in the head a couple of times, to everyone's surprise.

Lakers assistant coach Kurt Rambis said: "I told him at the timeout, `Andrew, I was going to chew you out for not using your left hand but I saw that you already beat yourself up, so I let it go."'

Listen up:

Rookie guard Jordan Farmar was so excited to play that he got up and went to check in when Ronny Turiaf's name was called in the third quarter. Farmar had to save face and sit down as quickly as possible, squeezing in next to assistant Brian Shaw.

Farmar did play the last 4:19 and gave the Lakers a jolt of energy, finishing with three points and two steals.

The coaches have taken to counting the number of times Farmar gets his hands on the ball in practice. His record so far is seven, which counts deflections and steals. Farmar is committed to moving his hands as much as he moves his feet on defense.

Jackson sighting - almost:

Lakers coach Phil Jackson watched gamefilm and stayed for all of practice, but left before reporters were allowed in the gym.

ross.siler@dailynews.com

(818) 713-3610

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_4478757
LakerRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:26 AM   #2
hotsizzle
Superstar

hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here

Great read. Thanks partner!!!

Im really excited about this laker team's attitude.
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:35 AM   #3
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I concur. Thank you LakerRaider! Another fine article from ross siler.

I am glad to see Lamar in good spirits.

I did notice that he played 28 mins. Do you think that is a lot for an exhibition game?
SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 02:29 PM   #4
LakerRaider
Great college starter

LakerRaider has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Great read. Thanks partner!!!

Im really excited about this laker team's attitude.

No doubt man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
I concur. Thank you LakerRaider! Another fine article from ross siler.

I am glad to see Lamar in good spirits.

I did notice that he played 28 mins. Do you think that is a lot for an exhibition game?

No doubt man.

Twenty-eight minutes is not alot for an exhibition game if Kobe Bryant is injured. Lamar Odom is viewed as the second option. He needs to play those kind of minutes to help his team win. Furthermore, the article states that he was pretty winded so maybe they're just trying to get him back in the swing of things by making him play all those minutes.
LakerRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 03:24 PM   #5
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Its interesting what Kwame said about Odom how he "steals all the rebounds".

I agree with Kwame, even though they were joking it would be nice if odom gave kwame about 3 more boards a game.

Kwame is sooo big and strong and has hops that he can pull down any board.

So hopefully Odom doesnt become a "ball hog" in the way we want him to be.

farmar needs more than 4 mins, Bynum needs to not smack himself in the head so he doesnt get a concussion. (i used to do that in games).
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: