Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 06-25-2009, 06:23 AM   #1
Kobe8
Banned

Kobe8 is starting to rub some people the wrong wayKobe8 is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Post Shaq Traded To Cavs!

Source: Click Here

Quote:
The Cleveland Cavaliers have reached an agreement in principle to acquire Phoenix Suns center Shaquille O’Neal(notes), multiple sources involved in the talks told Yahoo! Sports late Thursday night.

Cleveland will send Ben Wallace(notes), Sasha Pavlovic(notes), the 46th pick in Thursday’s draft and cash to the Suns for O’Neal.

Cleveland and Phoenix were both juggling multiple trade possibilities with other teams, with the Cavs involved with as many as six trade scenarios.

Yet the disappointing Eastern Conference finals loss to the Orlando Magic left Cavs GM Danny Ferry with incredible pressure to accumulate talent around James in the final season prior to his 2010 free agency. James has blessed the O’Neal trade, especially because it should give his overmatched frontline a chance to compete with Dwight Howard in the playoffs. Ferry and Phoenix GM Steve Kerr are close friends and had talked off and on about a Shaq deal since the February trade deadline.

O’Neal, 37, makes $21 million next season, and the Suns were determined to move him in a package that would save them money. Wallace made $14 million and could take a buyout to retire, and only $1.5 million of Pavlovic’s $4.9 million salary is guaranteed.

Something NEW!
Kobe8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:16 AM   #2
Crash
Its Showtime

Crash is popular on this boardCrash is popular on this boardCrash is popular on this boardCrash is popular on this boardCrash is popular on this board
Default Re: Shaq Traded To Cavs!

How does this show any sort of long term commitment to LeBron? sure they have a chance now but thats gonna be it.
Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:35 AM   #3
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I hope shaq does well. For some reason I've been starting to like him again.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:16 AM   #4
WiltTheStilt
I brick open layups

WiltTheStilt has decent reputationWiltTheStilt has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash
How does this show any sort of long term commitment to LeBron? sure they have a chance now but thats gonna be it.

I think it shows a little desperation for Danny Ferry who is under the gun right now. I don't think Shaq at his current age will be enough to make a real difference toward an NBA title.

Question - would Shaq being in the paint "clog" up the middle for Lebron when he drives to the basket? Could Shaq get in the way?
WiltTheStilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:05 AM   #5
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiltTheStilt
I think it shows a little desperation for Danny Ferry who is under the gun right now. I don't think Shaq at his current age will be enough to make a real difference toward an NBA title.

Question - would Shaq being in the paint "clog" up the middle for Lebron when he drives to the basket? Could Shaq get in the way?

shaq in the paint really only hinders the post up game. it shouldn't be a problem for lebron's drive into the paint style play, since that comes off of iso plays

since lebron has no real low post game it's only a problem if he (lebron) was planning on developing one this summer.
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:07 AM   #6
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I don't think the cavs are done. I can't see them bringing Z off the bench and starting both shaq and Z is what they want lol.

I think Z will be traded for someone else that can help lebron. A powerforward maybe?
Old 06-25-2009, 12:16 PM   #7
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
I don't think the cavs are done. I can't see them bringing Z off the bench and starting both shaq and Z is what they want lol.

I think Z will be traded for someone else that can help lebron. A powerforward maybe?

That is the real key to the deal, if they can get a good shooter for Z or PF with good defense and midrange shot they will be hard to beat....if they stay healthy.

Shaq still can't stop the pick and roll or play huge minutes, and can clog the paint.....so anything can happen to stop them.

From the "Big Cactus" to the......"Big Erie????"

Last edited by DKLaker : 06-25-2009 at 12:23 PM.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:05 PM   #8
WiltTheStilt
I brick open layups

WiltTheStilt has decent reputationWiltTheStilt has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
That is the real key to the deal, if they can get a good shooter for Z or PF with good defense and midrange shot they will be hard to beat....if they stay healthy.

Shaq still can't stop the pick and roll or play huge minutes, and can clog the paint.....so anything can happen to stop them.

From the "Big Cactus" to the......"Big Erie????"

I just dont see Shaq playing major minutes and the older he gets, the harder it is for him to keep healthy. Yes last year he played somthing like 75 games, but his minutes were limited and his team lost more than they won.

I am not sure that Shaq is an upgrade for the Cavs as they will still need Z or someone equivalant to fill in a good chunk of minutes.
WiltTheStilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:23 PM   #9
SCV42
Buck Foston

SCV42 is popular on this boardSCV42 is popular on this boardSCV42 is popular on this boardSCV42 is popular on this board

I think it is a minor improvement for the Cavaliers. I think Shaquille was brought in more for the playoff run. For example, they won't be doubling Howard anymore if they face Orlando again. They were just killed when Orlando's shooters were left wide open.

In my opinion, the Jefferson deal will have more of an impact for San Antonio.
SCV42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:24 PM   #10
bladefd
Good college starter

bladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Z is a good mid-range shooter. I can see them starting Shaq and Z together.. Shaq in the low-post and Z in his high-post like Bynum/Gasol perhaps. The only reason why Bynum/Gasol works is because of Gasol's mid-range game. If Gasol had no mid-range game, Bynum would not start with him. If Shaq plays up to his potential, Cavs are a very deadly team now. Even though Shaq is 38, do not underrate them.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:25 PM   #11
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd
Z is a good mid-range shooter. I can see them starting Shaq and Z together.. Shaq in the low-post and Z in his high-post like Bynum/Gasol perhaps. The only reason why Bynum/Gasol works is because of Gasol's mid-range game. If Gasol had no mid-range game, Bynum would not start with him.

lol Gasol is fast for a PF of his size.

If they start both those guys together, teams will average about 200 ppg on them. Kobe will score 100 on them if that happens.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:47 PM   #12
bladefd
Good college starter

bladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
lol Gasol is fast for a PF of his size.

If they start both those guys together, teams will average about 200 ppg on them. Kobe will score 100 on them if that happens.

I think they would be alright but yeah, I did not think about their speed. Z is pretty slow and so is Shaq. Both would not work well on defensive end just because of their speed. It would work fine against certain big teams though like Lakers/Rockets/Portland/etc.

I think they might still make a run for Rasheed Wallace though. I just don't know if Sheed and Shaq egos could work together well in the locker room. They would be a deadly duo though, especially since Rasheed can shoot the 3. Z would be solid off the bench as a backup for Rasheed/Shaq.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:55 PM   #13
SCV42
Buck Foston

SCV42 is popular on this boardSCV42 is popular on this boardSCV42 is popular on this boardSCV42 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd
I think they would be alright but yeah, I did not think about their speed. Z is pretty slow and so is Shaq. Both would not work well on defensive end just because of their speed. It would work fine against certain big teams though like Lakers/Rockets/Portland/etc.

I think they might still make a run for Rasheed Wallace though. I just don't know if Sheed and Shaq egos could work together well in the locker room. They would be a deadly duo though, especially since Rasheed can shoot the 3. Z would be solid off the bench as a backup for Rasheed/Shaq.

I thought about that. If they acquired Wallace, that would be one solid team defensively. Good rebounding, length and height. Rasheed can post up, go midrange and knock down the 3. That would be a good fit for them I think. His is getting older but still has the skills.
SCV42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:30 PM   #14
D-Rose
Mavericks/Bulls

D-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Legit contenders: Boston, Cleveland, San Antonio, Orlando

If we want to be in the same tier, we NEED to get Odom AAAANNDDD Ariza back...
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:44 PM   #15
bladefd
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rose
Legit contenders: Boston, Cleveland, San Antonio, Orlando

If we want to be in the same tier, we NEED to get Odom AAAANNDDD Ariza back...

Well, I can 100% guarantee you that we are not losing both Odom and Ariza. We will DEFINITELY get one of them back. I hope we can get both but it is tough to say. Hopefully the $3 mill we got from the draft pick goes towards paying for both Odom/Ariza. I think we will still be a championship contender team even if we lose either Odom or Ariza. Bynum will have to bring his game up a couple notches, and we can probably beat any of those legit contenders you mentioned.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: