Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 07-02-2009, 10:24 PM   #1
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Default Doug Collins withdraws himself — Avery the frontrunner…

Doug Collins has withdrew himself from the vacant Pistons head coaching job.

Quote:
Collins told ESPN.com late Wednesday night that he thanked Pistons president of basketball operations Joe Dumars for the consideration, but would remain an analyst for TNT.

This leaves Avery Johnson the top candidate to become the sixth Pistons coach this decade.

source: Collins won't return to coach Pistons
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:24 AM   #2
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Default Re: Doug Collins withdraws himself — Avery the frontrunner…

It sounds like the only thing with Avery right now, is that he is looking for a four year deal. He wants job "stability" with a franchise that has gone through coaches like a player goes through sneakers. Avery is still owed money by the Mavericks right now and is off their books if he takes a job…

Personally, I would like Avery, especially with our recent signings. I feel he can maximize guys like Charlie V and Gordon… Avery took a offensive minded, minimal defense team and got them to play a shred of defense…

Get done Joe. Sign him for four and at least keep him for three
Flip is off the books now so we are only paying Curry in addition to our new guy. Curry will be off the books in two years. We are always paying two coaches anyways.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
detsportsfan3
Stern+refs=fail

According to ESPN: Contract talks between Avery Johnson and the Pistons have ended!

BILL LAIMBEER?!?! I wouldn't mind that Cleveland guy either. I just didn't want Avery.
detsportsfan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:25 PM   #4
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Bill Laimbeer deserves better than the train wreck that our team has become…
Old 07-07-2009, 02:51 PM   #5
detsportsfan3
Stern+refs=fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic R
Bill Laimbeer deserves better than the train wreck that our team has become…

Oh yeah, it's a big downgrade from the WNBA
Old 07-07-2009, 03:13 PM   #6
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Quote:
Originally Posted by detsportsfan3
Oh yeah, it's a big downgrade from the WNBA

Bill Laimbeer won three championships in that league.
The Pistons are not nothing but first round fodder as constructed right now. What ever coach that comes in will have a monumental task ahead of him. It will almost be like when the Tigers brought in Alan Trammel. Trammel, got put in a bad situation. I'd rather see Laimbeer get a fair shake. Unless you believe that Gordon and Charlie V are the guys that will get us past Cleveland, Boston, Orlando… and get us back to the Finals…
Old 07-07-2009, 03:31 PM   #7
detsportsfan3
Stern+refs=fail

Quote:
Bill Laimbeer won three championships in that league.
The Pistons are not nothing but first round fodder as constructed right now. What ever coach that comes in will have a monumental task ahead of him. It will almost be like when the Tigers brought in Alan Trammel. Trammel, got put in a bad situation. I'd rather see Laimbeer get a fair shake. Unless you believe that Gordon and Charlie V are the guys that will get us past Cleveland, Boston, Orlando… and get us back to the Finals…

So, now it's insulting to offer someone a head coaching job in the NBA....?
Old 07-07-2009, 03:38 PM   #8
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Quote:
So, now it's insulting to offer someone a head coaching job in the NBA....?

So what was wrong with hiring a guy like Michael Curry, whom had some assistant coaching experience? Bill Laimbeer has NEVER worked on an NBA bench and is less qualified than Curry was.

Regardless,
John Kuester has got the job, and he has a far better resumé.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:46 PM   #9
detsportsfan3
Stern+refs=fail

Quote:
So what was wrong with hiring a guy like Michael Curry, whom had some assistant coaching experience? Bill Laimbeer has NEVER worked on an NBA bench and is less qualified than Curry was.

Regardless,
John Kuester has got the job, and he has a far better resumé.

Except Laimbeer has had head coaching experience, and Curry freaking played like 4 years ago. it was way too early for Curry and I don't think Laimbeer is less qualified than him. I'm fine with Kuester, but he also has no head coaching experience.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:34 PM   #10
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Quote:
Except Laimbeer has had head coaching experience, and Curry freaking played like 4 years ago. it was way too early for Curry and I don't think Laimbeer is less qualified than him.

But then it was in the WNBA
Look, I'd like Laimbeer as coach, but the truth is, I'm not sold in these FAs that were brought in and it would probably be Michael Curry II all over again. And who will be the scapegoat? Yeah, Bill Laimbeer. Lambs is probably one of my favorite Pistons of all time, and would hate to see him run through the mud when this team falls on its ass.

The spin on Curry getting fired was he "lacked" experience. The word is that for a guy to have experience, he need to spend some time as an assistant. And Dumars came out saying they were going to bring in a guy with "more" experience than Curry.

Quote:
…I'm fine with Kuester, but he also has no head coaching experience.

Neither did Rick Carlisle.
I'm fine with Kuester too. Hoping for the best, what ever that may be…
Old 07-07-2009, 07:41 PM   #11
RSSMOOTH
Can barely lace up my sneakers

First time poster here, since this is a pistons fan board, I was wondering if I could get some feedback from you guys. I have a sports blog and I am blogging about the big moves this NBA off season and I kicked it off with a preview of the Pistons....let me know what you think

www.sportsdabbler.com
Real Sports.Real Talk
RSSMOOTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:41 PM   #12
dd24
College superstar

It looks like Joe D didn't want to pay Avery.

Quote:
A person familiar with the negotiations said that the Detroit Pistons and former 76ers assistant John Kuester were nearing an agreement to make him their coach. The person, who spoke last night on the condition of anonymity because the deal was not done, said the contract could be completed as soon as today. AP

Kuester spent the last two seasons as a Cleveland Cavaliers assistant and was on Larry Brown's championship-winning staff in Detroit in 2004. AP

It's not what we wanted I guess. A signing like this almost tells me Joe D is planning on rebuilding and doesn't want a high profile coach. He wants someone he can fire easily and probably someone who he can tell what to do easily. Hopefully he brings Laimbeer on the staff.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:37 PM   #13
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
But then it was in the WNBA
Look, I'd like Laimbeer as coach, but the truth is, I'm not sold in these FAs that were brought in and it would probably be Michael Curry II all over again. And who will be the scapegoat? Yeah, Bill Laimbeer. Lambs is probably one of my favorite Pistons of all time, and would hate to see him run through the mud when this team falls on its ass.

The spin on Curry getting fired was he "lacked" experience. The word is that for a guy to have experience, he need to spend some time as an assistant. And Dumars came out saying they were going to bring in a guy with "more" experience than Curry.

Neither did Rick Carlisle.
I'm fine with Kuester too. Hoping for the best, what ever that may be…
I kinda agree with this. Would hate to see them bring bill in and have him be the scapegoat for joe Ds mediocre roster. Still, he took a really ****ty shock team and turned them into a WNBA juggernaut. THough I gotta say, Im begining to dislike dumars as a GM. Always talks in half-truths. You didnt want a coach with mor experience, you just didnt want curry. why you hired him in the first place is beyond me.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:41 PM   #14
detsportsfan3
Stern+refs=fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
I kinda agree with this. Would hate to see them bring bill in and have him be the scapegoat for joe Ds mediocre roster. Still, he took a really ****ty shock team and turned them into a WNBA juggernaut. THough I gotta say, Im begining to dislike dumars as a GM. Always talks in half-truths. You didnt want a coach with mor experience, you just didnt want curry. why you hired him in the first place is beyond me.

Dumars has gone downhill since the championship. The only decent thing might be he darko for stuckey thing, but then again that's like trading bosh/wade/carmelo for stuckey.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:55 PM   #15
dd24
College superstar

I have to agree, I haven't been the biggest Dumars fan lately. Let's just hope his plan works out I guess.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: