Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Dallas Mavericks Forum

Dallas Mavericks Forum Dallas Mavericks message board - mavs message board - dallas mavericks fan forum

Old 10-14-2006, 11:48 AM   #1
DatZNasty
NBA rookie of the year

DatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat cool
Default Josh Howard's value? Mavs offer 20mil less than Tayshaun (5yr,27mil)

Quote:
Howard upset by value Mavs attach to him

Fourth-year G/F wants team to make fair offer so he can just go play

10:11 PM CDT on Friday, October 13, 2006

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

MILWAUKEE Through two preseason games, Josh Howard has heaved 22 shots in 40 minutes. Only one player's arm has had a bigger workout, rookie Moe Ager, who has 25 shots but has played 59 minutes.

The coaches can forgive Ager for his exuberance. He's young, and it's the staff's job to rein him in, which they will.

But Howard's situation is different. The knee-jerk reaction is to think that Howard is already taking a me-first attitude because he's playing for next season's contract. Never too early to start building a case for megabucks, right?

Wrong. Howard said Friday that he has to tell himself every day to chill out about his contract situation and that "depressed" is not the word he'd use to describe his mood.

"Disappointed would be a better word," he said. "The other one I'd use would be a cuss word."

Howard is in the final year of his rookie contract. He is one of the lowest-paid Mavericks at slightly less than $1.6 million this season. Yet he is either the team's second- or third-most important player, along with Jason Terry, behind Dirk Nowitzki.

Howard and his agent already have talked to the Mavericks about a contract in the same neighborhood as Detroit's Tayshaun Prince, who signed last October for five years, $47.5 million.

The two players are similar, although it can be argued that Howard is more valuable to the Mavericks.

"The first number that came out [from the Mavs] wasn't anywhere near what Tayshaun makes," Howard said. "It was for five years, but it was $20 million less."

President of basketball operations Donnie Nelson said the Mavericks have not given up on extending Howard before the Oct. 31 deadline. After that, the team must wait until next summer and run the restricted free-agent gantlet.

"It's a negotiation," Nelson said. "Sometimes they move quickly and sometimes they move slowly. Everyone's worst-case scenario is not such a terrible thing to wait until next summer. Nobody should sign a deal they're not comfortable with."

Howard will be a restricted free agent after this season, which means he can do one of four things:

sign an extension with the Mavericks;

sign an offer sheet with another team, which the Mavericks can match and retain Howard;

end up with the team that offers him the contract if the Mavericks don't match it;

or, play one more season with the Mavericks, then become an unrestricted free agent and go wherever he wants.

Considering that a team like Charlotte, which has boatloads of money next summer, could be waiting to pounce on a player like Howard, it's a dangerous game the Mavericks are playing.

At the very least, the price tag could go up markedly.

"I'm not even trying to break the bank," Howard said. "I've never been a guy who lets stuff get to me. I understand I'm a restricted free agent and they can wait until next year to sign me. But I was the other guy in that '03 class who made it to the Finals [joining Miami's Dwyane Wade]."

Howard understands that management wants a hungry player who is going to have a big season. However, he disagrees with the theory that the team's success this year should be the basis of his future.

"I want to get back to that spot where we were last year," he said. "We all do. But to be honest, I don't think that should have anything to do with me making money."

As for Howard's frame of mind, he said the team and fans shouldn't worry.

"I don't have to prove nothing," he said. "I'm still playing whether I'm getting $40 million or I'm getting my $1.6 million like this year. I'm going to have a ball out there because that's what I do."

If Mavs are going to act like that, I hope Charlotte signs him since he went to school around that way. Of course, on a playoff team like the Spurs, Detroit, maybe even Miami he's a borderline almost all star. But 5 yrs, 27 million dollars? That's less than the Rafer Alston, Kevin Ollie, Mo Pete types get
DatZNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 12:02 PM   #2
yobore
Great college starter

yobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat cool

He grew up and went to school in Winston-Salem I'm sure he'd love to play in Charlotte. They'd have to move him to SG. There's other options as well he'd be a nice fit for Orlando for example, or New Orleans with some big contracts... including SF Mason coming off the books this year. Those teams could all use some Howard.
yobore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 12:03 PM   #3
BFRESH44
College star

BFRESH44 has an OK reputation so far

That's a similiar contract Cuban gave to Marquis Daniels if I'm correct, and Howard is a better player than him. Lowballin' for sure. He's the same caliber player as a Prince, so that's right in the neighborhood of what he should be getting.
BFRESH44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 12:07 PM   #4
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I like the idea of Howard ending up in New Orleans... they could use some perimeter defense.

PG: Chris Paul
SG: Josh Howard
SF: Peja Stojakovic
PF: David West
C: Tyson Chandler

pretty nasty lineup right there, pretty much have everything you'd need
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 12:08 PM   #5
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

bigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Hornets already spent all their money this summer, they should be focusing on Chris Paul now.
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 12:09 PM   #6
Dick Biggly
Good High School Starter

Dick Biggly has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFRESH44
That's a similiar contract Cuban gave to Marquis Daniels if I'm correct, and Howard is a better player than him. Lowballin' for sure. He's the same caliber player as a Prince, so that's right in the neighborhood of what he should be getting.

especially when he plays on a team full of guys that Cuban overpaid. I can't imagine how Howard must feel after that offer when he goes to practice and sees Erica Dampier getting $10 million a year from Cuban for doing jack.
Dick Biggly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 12:13 PM   #7
DatZNasty
NBA rookie of the year

DatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
That's a similar contract Cuban gave to Marquis Daniels if I'm correct,
It's actually less, less yrs, less total money, and less per yr. Quis signed for 6 yrs, 38 million. It's less than what damn Mike Dunleavy signed for.
DatZNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 12:20 PM   #8
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

TMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this board

And most Mav fans just wanna get rid of JHo anyways. As soon as he started cutting into Dirks shine most of them wanted to trade him but some kept quiet until they could use the excuse of "He wants too much money!" as to not look like a Dirk gorupie.

It's sad. I'd like what Dirks fans have to say when Dirk fails to get his team out of the second round of the playoffs without Josh. They'll probably say "He had no help! He had to do it all by himself! It's not his fault!"
TMacsOneGoodEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 12:29 PM   #9
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here

He deserves more than he alerady has.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 12:33 PM   #10
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

bigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by **** Biggly
especially when he plays on a team full of guys that Cuban overpaid. I can't imagine how Howard must feel after that offer when he goes to practice and sees Erica Dampier getting $10 million a year from Cuban for doing jack.

The deals they offered to howard is in Cuban's world the amount a waterboy should get. Dampier gets 10 mill, daniels used to get a ton. Only player not overpaid is Dirk.

J Howard should go sign a $100 mill 6 year deal with the Knicks, before Isiah gets fired. They have a lot of caproom to work with and they need another overrated swingman because Qrich, crawford, and rose are getting lonely.

Last edited by bigboi_baller : 10-14-2006 at 12:47 PM.
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 12:36 PM   #11
Sharas
Great college starter

Sharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat cool

cuban is playing hardball, but probably is going to give in eventually...when i look at some people that make such money, 5 years/27 mil. is just plain ridiculous. i expect j-ho to eventually get something similar to prince
Sharas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 12:42 PM   #12
BodyControl
I airball my layups

BodyControl has an OK reputation so far

I have a serious suspicion that Howard will go elsewhere. This holding off on giving him the right contract ordeal puts pressure on the Mavs to have a great season in order for him to stay. Accomplishing anything less than what they did last year would make it more likely that he wouldn't commit to a deal he's worth more than. In the words of Donnie Nelson, "Nobody should sign a deal they're not comfortable with."
BodyControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 12:44 PM   #13
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

bigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

It was a worth a shot after his timeout debacle.
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 12:47 PM   #14
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

TMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this board

You guys gotta remember the Mavs may be one of the dumbest teams in terms of contracts. This is the team that failed to sign Nash to a modest (imo for what he performs) but signed Erica Dampier for 10 mil a year the very same offseason.

Just cause they have alot of money doesn't mean their any good with it.
TMacsOneGoodEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 12:49 PM   #15
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

bigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMacsOneGoodEye
You guys gotta remember the Mavs may be one of the dumbest teams in terms of contracts. This is the team that failed to sign Nash to a modest (imo for what he performs) but signed Erica Dampier for 10 mil a year the very same offseason.

Just cause they have alot of money doesn't mean their any good with it.
a lot of teams would have signed dampier for that much that year because big men were getting paid big time and he looked like he had lots of upside after a 10/10 season
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: