Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 07-11-2009, 04:40 PM   #1
dd24
College superstar

Default Summer League

Dejuan Summers had a good game. It kind of makes me wonder why we are looking into Glen Davis. Summers is a guy like Maxiell and Davis and they are saying he's NBA ready apparently.

Quote:
Pistons rookie DaJuan Summers let everybody know on the first day of summer-league play why his team was stunned to get him in the second round. The Pistons' first pick of the second round put on a show, scoring an effortless 24 points on 9-for-15 shooting Friday afternoon in leading his team past the Sacramento Kings' summer-league edition, 86-77. It was a fine opening performance for the 35th pick of last month's draft. Assistant coach Darrell Walker was effusive with praise after the game. Detroit Free Press

http://www.freep.com/article/2009071...07110455/1051/

They also say that Daye looked good. He had 8 points.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090710/SPORTS03/90710057

I'm curious why Bynum and Sharpe didn't play though. Jerebko is obviously a ways off. Trent Plaisted (probably our only project C at this point) doesn't seem like he's going to make it in the league. At 6'11" in the summer league you need to bring more to the table than 5 points 3 boards all while committing 5 fouls.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 05:03 PM   #2
detsportsfan3
Stern+refs=fail

Default Re: Summer League

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
Dejuan Summers had a good game. It kind of makes me wonder why we are looking into Glen Davis. Summers is a guy like Maxiell and Davis and they are saying he's NBA ready apparently.

http://www.freep.com/article/2009071...07110455/1051/

They also say that Daye looked good. He had 8 points.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090710/SPORTS03/90710057

I'm curious why Bynum and Sharpe didn't play though. Jerebko is obviously a ways off. Trent Plaisted (probably our only project C at this point) doesn't seem like he's going to make it in the league. At 6'11" in the summer league you need to bring more to the table than 5 points 3 boards all while committing 5 fouls.

Bynum missed for family reasons
detsportsfan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 05:42 PM   #3
dd24
College superstar

I see. I'd like to see what he does in summer league.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:22 PM   #4
dd24
College superstar

Austin Daye stepped up yesterday with 19/8. He also played the entire game. Summers looked good again too. He had 19/6. One impressive thing they are saying about him is he has NBA range on his 3 point shot. The way things look right now those two may not see the D league too much. Jerebko had a really good game too with 12/7. So far our young guys have looked good. Plaisted didn't do much again. He also only played 12 minutes. I think the writing is on the wall for him. He'll be overseas and probably won't make it in the league. It looks like this summer league Daye & Summers will get most of the PT down low.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:24 PM   #5
dd24
College superstar

Apparently, Summers, Daye, and Jerebko are locks to make the team. Summers has actually been one of the best players in summer league. I thought he was more of a PF in college but people are saying he will be more of a SF in the league. I would expect him to get some playing time behind Tay this year. He could be a nice steal in the draft.

Also this is something I did not know. Deron Washington was signed to a gauranteed contract???? I was watching the summer league highlights and that's what the announcer said. Maybe it has something to do with the Afflalo trade. He could be the back up SG, even though he isn't doing much in summer league.

So it looks like the roster will be very very young this year. Sharpe may make the team too, and Plaisted is definintely going to be overseas. So it looks like there are 4 locks and 1 other who might make it. This could be a big "learning" year for Detroit.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:54 PM   #6
detsportsfan3
Stern+refs=fail

Spoke to soon. Summers shot 3-11 from the field and 3-7 from the line tonight. had more fouls than points (10 to 9) and fouled out. Pistons got killed.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:28 AM   #7
dd24
College superstar

Jerebko had a nice night again though. And GS has a killer summer league squad with Curry, Morrow, and Randolph.

Worse yet, Daye had 8 TO, and just an overall bad night. Worse than that the guy we just gave the contract to, Deron Washington, hasn't shown up to a single summer league game.

Oddly enough, didn't Amir have a horrible summer league last year yet he was an opening day starter?
Old 07-15-2009, 10:05 PM   #8
dd24
College superstar

Summers had another very good day. 26/8 and only 3 fouls. He also shot 11/21 from the field. I think he might be a contributor next year. That was a good pick up for us in the draft.

Daye actually did well too. 27/13 and he shot 9/17 from the field. He'll have a harder time against the bigger more physical players outside of summer ball but at least we know the potential is there for him to be a very good player. Look at how much Randolph has progressed for Golden State in the course of a year. Daye reminds me of him. He may not contribute quite what we want this upcoming season but the one after that there's a chance for him to be solid.

This Jerebko guy had another solid game too. 13/12 isn't bad at all.

These rookies are putting up pretty good summer league numbers. The only people who did last year were Stuckey and Afflalo. Bynum didn't even put up those kinds of numbers, although they were good last year. Again Plaisted and Washington didn't do much. I still can't figure out how Washington was signed.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:57 PM   #9
Attila
National High School Star

I'm liking those 3, Summers,Daye and Jerebko. I don't know how summers dropped so much. Daye should be good, didn't like the decision at first but I'm starting to like it.
Attila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:31 AM   #10
dd24
College superstar

I know Daye was a question mark for a pick but if there's one thing in the NBA and big men it's that the huge freak of nature guys like Yao for example are always injured. Human bodies just aren't meant to be that big. Putting all that extra stress on your joints and bones takes it's toll. If you look at the tall and lean guys they are less likely to get hurt, plus they are obviously quicker in the open court. Daye will put on size over the course of this year and next off season. He could be a very productive guy for us. Let's hope that is the reason Joe D isn't going after a blockbuster PF. If he locked up Boozer to a 5 year deal he would lose someone like Daye (if he turns out to be good). Of course I remember the same thing happened with Darko and Ben and we all know how that turned out......

I didn't know much about Jerebko when he was drafted. That was the one that left us all scratching our heads. He shown quite a bit though. I think Joe D just picked him to show that he can scout overseas It's still too early to tell if he'll be a solid guy off the bench in the upcoming years though.

For us to be successful next season one of these rookies is going to have to be big for us. It looks like they will all eventually be good, but we need one to be good for us now.

We must be one of the youngest teams in the league now. We have 4 guys from summer league on the roster plus Gordon and Villaneva. Kwame and Tay aren't that old and they are pretty much the veterans of the team, besides Rip of course.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:41 AM   #11
Attila

If you look at the current squad it's a fairly young team rip being only one in his 30's and he is only 31.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:44 AM   #12
dd24
College superstar

Talk about one extreme to another. We go from being one of the oldest to one of the youngest. Of course that isn't all good. You never see a young team go far in the playoffs.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:58 AM   #13
detsportsfan3
Stern+refs=fail

Not like we need another young forward, but how is this guy undrafted/signed? Othyus Jeffers, in 2 summer league games he averaged 20.5 points and 7 rebounds while playing just 23mpg for the d-league team. Was the d-league rookie of the year last year, averaged 21 ppg, and lead the league in PER.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:07 AM   #14
dd24
College superstar

If he's about 6'8" and plays PF he's probably already on Joe D's radar .
Old 07-16-2009, 12:30 PM   #15
Attila

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
If he's about 6'8" and plays PF he's probably already on Joe D's radar .
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: