Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 07-17-2009, 06:39 PM   #1
dd24
College superstar

Default CP3 Available?

So I read this today and it got me thinking:

Quote:
Chris Paul: Hornets trade possible
New Orleans star point guard Chris Paul insisted he was serious when he said there's a chance he soon could be traded. Paul was interviewed Thursday by Pro Basketball News, and asked about his team's financial situation. The Hornets are staring at being well over the luxury tax, and might have to dump some big contracts. "In this league, anything can happen," said Paul, at the summer league to watch his Hornets. "I can be dealt." Paul then was asked that surely he can't be serious he could be traded. "It's possible," he said. "It's possible." -- Pro Basketball News

I'm sure they wouldn't want him to stay in the west and they are just looking to dump salary. Everybody knows I've been a huge Stuckey supporter but Paul is absolutely a top 5 (maybe even top 3) talent. I've been big on getting a C and I know this is opposite but I think this would make us contenders. I'd give up anybody on our roster for him. Check out this trade idea:

Detroit - Gets CP3 from NO

NO- Gets Steve Blake from Portland. This is all about shedding salary and they do need a PG.

Portland - Gets Prince and Bynum from us. We can't include Stuckey in the deal because it's too much money. They will still need a PG and Bynum has a nice price tag.

The only way we can make the deal is to get a 3rd team involved, otherwise NO would be taking on a longer term contract that is too much for them to afford. It's just a pipe dream but oh well. I think Portland would want him, NY would probably go after him instead of Lebron since they would have a better chance of landing him, and who knows who else could pull it off. I just think if a superstar is available we have to inquire (just like any other team should).
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:11 PM   #2
detsportsfan3
Stern+refs=fail

Default Re: CP3 Available?

I look at this differently, not as a three team trade, but as two two-team trades. First, I think Hornets want something in return for Paul, not just cap relief, and Blake won't do the trick. Second, if that trade does happen, Portland blows us off and keeps Paul. Blake was their starting PG so now they get one back. Paul>>>>>Prince+Bynum anyways.
detsportsfan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:17 PM   #3
dd24
College superstar

I agree, like I said Portland would want him. Of course Paul is the best player in the deal. There is no way they are going to get cap relief and an equal player though. Really unless they are getting Lebron or Kobe in a deal they aren't going to do so well in a trade anyway. He's a rare talent.

They have to trade either Peja, Chandler, or him. Nobody in the world wants Peja's contract for the next two years. There would be interest around the league for Chandler if it wasn't for his health concerns. Of course every team in the league wants Paul. If it comes down to bankruptcy or trading Paul, I think the people with the money are going to do the latter. Of course if they trade Chandler than all of this goes away probably.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:02 AM   #4
detsportsfan3
Stern+refs=fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
I agree, like I said Portland would want him. Of course Paul is the best player in the deal. There is no way they are going to get cap relief and an equal player though. Really unless they are getting Lebron or Kobe in a deal they aren't going to do so well in a trade anyway. He's a rare talent.

They have to trade either Peja, Chandler, or him. Nobody in the world wants Peja's contract for the next two years. There would be interest around the league for Chandler if it wasn't for his health concerns. Of course every team in the league wants Paul. If it comes down to bankruptcy or trading Paul, I think the people with the money are going to do the latter. Of course if they trade Chandler than all of this goes away probably.

Of course they won't get an equal player, but Steve Blake? I'm not sure where to rank CP3 but he is probably a top 5-10. I wouldn't be surprised if they gave a 1st rounder to a team to take one of those big contracts, or 2 smaller ones.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:19 AM   #5
dd24
College superstar

I'm sure picks would probably be involved too. Like I said it was just a dream, but if they are shopping him we should offer what we can.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:00 AM   #6
detsportsfan3
Stern+refs=fail

NOH is I think $7.4m over the luxury tax. My proposition:

Det Gets:
Paul
Petterson
Mullens
Cash (from OKC)

NOH Gets:
Rip
Houston's 2nd rounder (from Det)
Det 2nd Rounder

OKC Gets:
Maxiell
Bynum
Det 1st rounder
NO 2nd Rounder

Why Det Does it:
Lose picks but get a young 7 foot center, a solid backup SG, and CHRIS PAUL!

Why NO does it:
Have young PGs to replace Paul, add a 2nd rounder, get Rip, don't have tp pay luxury tax

Why OKC does it: Need a PF, Bynum can replace the just released Earl Watson and old Chucky Atkins. 1st rounder for Mullens sounds fair.

Problem: Mullens can't be traded for awhile, and Det (and OKC) Will probably have used the cap space by then.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: