Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Minnesota Timberwolves Forum

Minnesota Timberwolves Forum Minnesota Timberwolves forum - Minnesota T-Wolves message board

Old 10-18-2006, 01:41 AM   #1
jrt1584
High School JV MVP

jrt1584 has an OK reputation so far
Default News on Malik Sealy (kind of)

Just ran across this on the NBA board, thought people might be interested...

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- New drunk driving charges have been filed against the man convicted in the drunken driving accident that killed Malik Sealy of the Minnesota Timberwolves in May 2000.

Souksangouane Phengsene, 50, of Shakopee, was arrested in Crystal early Sunday and was charged with felony drunk driving Tuesday in Hennepin County District Court.

According to the court file, Phengsene was driving in an erratic manner, weaving in and out of lanes, and driving on the curb. Court papers say he was tested at the police station and his blood alcohol level registered at 0.21 percent. Minnesota's legal limit is 0.08 percent.

Crystal Police Capt. Dave Oyaas said that when an officer spotted Phengsene swerving and stopped him, "the driver came to almost a complete stop and then drove over a curb as he went into a parking lot."

Phengsene was driving the wrong way on Highway 100 in St. Louis Park when he hit Sealy's vehicle six years ago, killing the 30-year-old athlete, who was returning home after a birthday party for teammate Kevin Garnett. Phengsene had a blood-alcohol level of 0.19 percent then, when the state's legal limit was 0.10 percent. He pleaded guilty to felony criminal vehicular homicide and was sentenced to four years in prison.

Phengsene was also convicted of DWI in Des Moines, Iowa, in 1997.

The new charge is a felony, rather than a misdemeanor, due to Phengsene's prior convictions, officials with the Hennepin County attorney's office said.

If he's convicted this time, the state's sentencing guidelines suggest another four-year sentence due to his prior convictions, the officials said.

Phengsene was being held in the Hennepin County jail in lieu of $35,000 bond.

Oyaas said police were glad they stopped Phengsene before anyone else was hurt.

"I think there's even more gratification in that, because that's really what we're trying to do -- we're trying to prevent basically senseless injuries and deaths at the hands of drunk drivers," he said.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
jrt1584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 01:55 AM   #2
04mzwach
NBA sixth man of the year

04mzwach is considered somewhat cool04mzwach is considered somewhat cool04mzwach is considered somewhat cool

LOCK THAT PIECE OF **** UP!
04mzwach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 02:07 AM   #3
jrt1584
High School JV MVP

jrt1584 has an OK reputation so far

LOCK THAT PIECE OF **** UP!

No kidding... The guy kills Malik Sealy and is out doin the same stuff again. I grew up in St Louis Park, just a few miles from where this idiot killed Malik Sealy. I used to drive that same stretch of hwy 100 all the time. I was also only 5 miles or so from KG's old house that he had in Minnetonka. Drove by there one time with some friends who were showing me the house and he waved at us. That was pretty cool.
jrt1584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 04:29 PM   #4
BlockShot
I hit open 5-footers

BlockShot has an OK reputation so far

SON OF A *****
BlockShot is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: