Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Miami Heat Forum

Miami Heat Forum Miami Heat forum - miami heat message board

Old 08-15-2009, 03:06 AM   #1
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....

beasted86 is a pretty well-respected posterbeasted86 is a pretty well-respected posterbeasted86 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default What's the best lineup for the Heat next season?

I just peeked at the Yahoo! Sports depth chart for the Miami Heat, and here's what they had listed:

What do you think? There was some talk before the season of Haslem at PF, Beasley at starting SF.... but Q-Rich plays solid enough defense, and is a more natural SF. His FG% worries me though.

I think they should just start Beasley at his natural PF position and see how he does. If they feel he's made strides where he can start at SF, then they just need to make the full commitment and trade Haslem for Boozer, or someone else to play PF full time.
beasted86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:00 PM   #2
Cggamer12
I brick open layups

Cggamer12 has decent reputation
Default Re: What's the best lineup for the Heat next season?

It's a pretty good looking lineup the way it is. If you move Beasley to the 3, and start Haslem at the 4, then neither Q Rick or JJ can come off the bench at the 4.

It's better the way it is.
Cggamer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....

beasted86 is a pretty well-respected posterbeasted86 is a pretty well-respected posterbeasted86 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cggamer12
It's a pretty good looking lineup the way it is. If you move Beasley to the 3, and start Haslem at the 4, then neither Q Rick or JJ can come off the bench at the 4.

It's better the way it is.

That's the way I see it also. Neither Q-Rich, Jones, or Dorrell can play PF. They'd forever be rotating Beasley back over to PF when they bring them in.

But if Beasley or Haslem get in foul trouble... then Beasley or Haslem need a rest... who do they use?
Old 08-15-2009, 06:34 PM   #4
Cggamer12
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasted86
That's the way I see it also. Neither Q-Rich, Jones, or Dorrell can play PF. They'd forever be rotating Beasley back over to PF when they bring them in.

But if Beasley or Haslem get in foul trouble... then Beasley or Haslem need a rest... who do they use?
Well I'm a big time Pacer fan and I suppose they move J O'Neal at 4 and move Magloire at 5. O' Neal really is more of a 4 IMO anyways. That's part of the reason he struggled in Indiana was because we played him at 5 and his body is better fit at 4 anyways.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:20 PM   #5
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star

G-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

Joel Anthony
G-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:54 PM   #6
Cggamer12
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-train
Joel Anthony
Old 08-16-2009, 01:37 AM   #7
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cggamer12
Yeah... that guy's opinion is weird in comparison to most Heat fans.

He doesn't want the Heat to trade Beasley, but at the same time wants them to keep him on the bench. Also, as seen here he oviously think highly of Joel Anthony.

Joel can't play PF sucessfully whatsoever, he can hardly play C decently as it is.

Quote:
Well I'm a big time Pacer fan and I suppose they move J O'Neal at 4 and move Magloire at 5. O' Neal really is more of a 4 IMO anyways. That's part of the reason he struggled in Indiana was because we played him at 5 and his body is better fit at 4 anyways.

Well I guess O'Neal can slide down to PF, but I don't know if he's quick enough anymore. I could imagine quick athletic PFs like Josh Smith torching him.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:05 PM   #8
Cggamer12
I brick open layups

Quote:

He doesn't want the Heat to trade Beasley, but at the same time wants them to keep him on the bench. Also, as seen here he oviously think highly of Joel Anthony.

Joel can't play PF sucessfully whatsoever, he can hardly play C decently as it is.

Well I guess O'Neal can slide down to PF, but I don't know if he's quick enough anymore. I could imagine quick athletic PFs like Josh Smith torching him.
Yeah, he got burned when he was playing PF here. But tha'ts about the only way I could see the foul trouble situation is to just move Magloire to C and see what O' Neal could do, but I guess that's why you need to stay out of foul trouble lol.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:08 AM   #9
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star

G-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

'that guy' is the mod here and has been a Heat fan longer than some posters have been alive.

In the very rare scenario B-easy and Haslem are in foul trouble, JO can shift to the four and Joel is an adequate backup centre. In fact he played some excellent backup minutes last year. Plus he can play the four quite adequately against bigger 4 men. his effort, rebounding and defense is guaranteed.

And yes I believe that Beasley should be given another year off the bench for team balance, but in 2 more seasons he will be one of the best starting forwards in the league.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:15 AM   #10
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....

Quote:
'that guy' is the mod here and has been a Heat fan longer than some posters have been alive.

In the very rare scenario B-easy and Haslem are in foul trouble, JO can shift to the four and Joel is an adequate backup centre. In fact he played some excellent backup minutes last year. Plus he can play the four quite adequately against bigger 4 men. his effort, rebounding and defense is guaranteed.

And yes I believe that Beasley should be given another year off the bench for team balance, but in 2 more seasons he will be one of the best starting forwards in the league.

Mod or not... your idea of keeping Beasley on the bench is weird, and way different than anyone else in regards to what most think is the best plan for the Heat to develop Beasley.

And I don't know how you have been a Heat fan longer than some have been alive... how many Heat fans do you talk/debate with on a regular basis who were born after 1988? ... unless your counting Miami's ABA days.....

Anyway... I just did some research... and since the institution of the draft lottery in '85, here are the #1 to #2 overall picks to come off the bench in both rookie & sophmore seasons: Danny Ferry, Stromile Swift, Kwame Brown, Darko Milicic.

Unsurprisingly, all-time draft busts. The other 18 years that never happened. Beasley has already proven he can have a nice impact as a starter when given the minutes. Whether they have to put him at SF or PF... regardless he needs to start so the Heat know what type of player they have going into 2010.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:20 AM   #11
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star

The board is full of teenage fans actually. I am very experienced bball wise, and I understand the game beyond individual talent.
And what a ridiculous stat who just pulled out. Completely meaningless.
Firstly most teams with the number one pick are terrible for a couple more years, meaning talented players play. Wade got injured, and we had a terrible year and got Beasley. Wade comes back, we add some pieces, and we are a good team again. We are not a lottery team anymore. So young players are not guaranteed minutes.
Beasley is a fantastic talent. But the fact is we do not have a great offensive bench player. Our starting unit has scoring, both inside and out. Our bench is sketchy. Beasley can have a real Ginobli impact off the bench, especially against first change players.
As he developes more into a star player, and improves his small forward skills on both ends, he will start. He will play 38+ mins. Right now he is still very young, immature even.
To start the game you need stability, consistency and preferably experience. Some young players bring the first 2 immediately. Haslem brings that. Beasley does not. That is smart, winning basketball. Starting a player just becuase he is talented is not.
And you think a player has to start to know what kind of player we have? Not at all. they work with him every day. They break down his game on tape. They know what they have right now. And with more minutes and development they can continue to gauge what they have. Starting is irrelevant to that.
I believe Beasley is going to be a top 10 player in his mid 20's. But right now the best thing for the heat to win is for him to give us impact off the bench in big minutes. Then next season, without having to trade any good players, we can add a Bosh or Stoudemire. Beasley will have matured a bit, and he can play the 3 and 4 effectively with those players. Add that to our existing core of young players and that is a winning team going forward.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:31 PM   #12
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....

I don't see how the Heat can really analyze what type of player they have going into 2010 by playing Beasley against bench players. It just doesn't make sense.

Also, assuming they want him to start and become a focal point WITH Wade on the floor in 2010... it should make the most sense to have him build chemistry WITH Wade in 2009.... not to throw both Beasley & whatever max contract player into the stirring pot all at once and pray it works out. I'd rather they play him as a starter and really figure out if he can play 32+ mins against the best starters in the league at which forward position... that way it will tell them in 2010 whether they can bring in a person to play PF or to play more C... if they'll need a more isolation scorer if Beasley can create for others, or if they need a more system oriented player who's a stronger pick & roll player.... whether they want a player who plays from the high-post if Beasley seems more comfortable on the perimeter as SF, or if a low post presence is better if Beasley plays from the high post instead, etc, etc, etc....

These are all questions & things that can be figured out now rather than throwing it all together in 2010. I understand completely about the scoring balance... but having Beasley come in when Wade is going to the bench is completely counterproductive to the Heat's future. If they need bench scoring... bring in Flip Murray or make a trade elsewhere.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:48 PM   #13
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star

If he plays 30+ mins off the bench he will clearly be playing against starters and bench players.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:15 PM   #14
Pat Reilly
I hit open layups

Pat Reilly has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
If he plays 30+ mins off the bench he will clearly be playing against starters and bench players.

I see Beasley as a pf first. Since Miami has Haslem there though what is the hurry? Both will see plenty of minutes.

Richardson, Jones, Wright and Diawara would seem easier to displace in the lineup as starters. If Beasley can handle both forward spots perhaps he and Udonis end up starting together. With an NBA quality starter available make him earn it first.
Pat Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:22 PM   #15
Pat Reilly
I hit open layups

Pat Reilly has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
I don't see how the Heat can really analyze what type of player they have going into 2010 by playing Beasley against bench players. It just doesn't make sense.

Also, assuming they want him to start and become a focal point WITH Wade on the floor in 2010... it should make the most sense to have him build chemistry WITH Wade in 2009.... not to throw both Beasley & whatever max contract player into the stirring pot all at once and pray it works out. I'd rather they play him as a starter and really figure out if he can play 32+ mins against the best starters in the league at which forward position... that way it will tell them in 2010 whether they can bring in a person to play PF or to play more C... if they'll need a more isolation scorer if Beasley can create for others, or if they need a more system oriented player who's a stronger pick & roll player.... whether they want a player who plays from the high-post if Beasley seems more comfortable on the perimeter as SF, or if a low post presence is better if Beasley plays from the high post instead, etc, etc, etc....

These are all questions & things that can be figured out now rather than throwing it all together in 2010. I understand completely about the scoring balance... but having Beasley come in when Wade is going to the bench is completely counterproductive to the Heat's future. If they need bench scoring... bring in Flip Murray or make a trade elsewhere.

If you assume Beasley would end up at the end of the bench quite right. The #2 pick in the draft will see plenty of minutes (at both forward positions) whether he starts or not.

He will start... when the HEAT decides he is ready.
Pat Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: