Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Old 09-03-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here
Default For those who don't know, I'm retiring.

I'm retiring at 10,000 posts. As you can see, that's coming up very soon. Being somewhat of an attention whore, I wanted to write a peace out post in my in between time here at work.

Don't really have the time to write a long winded post, I did so already here if you want to read:

http://insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142518

Mainly though, I wanted to say good bye to the Nets fan community. I've been a Nets fan all my life. I think the Nets, outside of family, are my longest standing relationship with anything or anyone.

And here we are, on the cusp of moving my hometown team to Brooklyn. While one can argue that I owe them for the years and years of entertainment..I can't help but feel slighted that they can just up and move away. Through all this in the last few years of the talk of the Nets moving there, I think I've taken subconscious steps to distance myself from the team. I've taken up loving college basketball and my college team, the Illini. As childish as it sounds, I doubt they'll ever move the University anywhere.

Anyway, some tidbits about my love for the Nets:

Favorite moment: Going to the Finals in '02 (After losing season after losing season it was definitely a redeeming moment.)
Favorite Net: Kerry Kittles-- No one better knock on him
My earliest moment as a Net fan: Losing in the first round in '92.
Nets players I spent my childhood playing days trying to imitate: Kittles, Cassell, Kendall Gill (two points for also being an Illini)
Favorite Nets bench player: Rodney Rogers--he wasn't that good for us but I loved Rodney a lot.

Well that's really unfair. As a kid, I really spent most of my time trying to be Nick Van Exel. I love the Nets, but now that I think of it, most of the players didn't factor in my game.

But why do I love them so much? I think it just had to with it being the home team and my parents teaching me the values of loyalty and sticking with a choice I made. All my friends growing up were Knicks fans. As well as a good amount of Bulls, Lakers, and Rockets fans. But I was one of only a few Net fans. It was redeeming to spit back at their faces (well not the Lakers fans) in the early 2000s, but nonetheless you get my point.

All rambling aside, this is what I'm thinking for the future of our Nets:

-Brook has been a surprise. I have a lot of high hopes for him. I'm not saying Tim Duncan like everyone else is, but I'd be really happy if became a more aggressive version of Pau Gasol. I think that would be key
-Devin is nice, but I don't really see him much more than a selling point to FA next year.
-Speaking of next year, we better start shelling out cash for the big names. I doubt Wade or LeBron come, but I'd be happy with an Amare or Bosh. Joe Johnson would be great too.
-If we have a top pick next year, I want Greg Monroe first. I say that even knowing I said Amare and or Bosh as a FA I want.
-I'm not that high on Courtney Lee. I don't see a star, but rather a very good role player. I've been saying Courtney Lee reminds me of Anthony Parker. Plays good defense, has some offense, smart player, but nothing spectacular. I'd be happy with that.
-I'm excited for Terrence Williams. I'll admit, I kinda wanted Gerald Henderson. T-Will has a higher ceiling, but sometimes I question whether or not he's aggressive enough. If we did get Joe Johnson, I'd be really happy with Terrence playing along with him.
-We need a new coach. An offensive coach. Frank is nice, but I'd like a new one. I wanted Flip Saunders, but now I'm not sure who we can get that's available.
-Yi.. I'm not hoping or expecting anything. Right now he's the king of setting useless picks. Everyone raise their hands if you've seen Yi run down and then hard cut to an on-ball screen and see his teammates wave off the pick. He just doesn't have the IQ to play with the team. I don't know if it's lost in translation or its general basketball IQ but he needs to spend more time playing with our guys and learning more about their tendency. Also some confidence would help.

Anyway, that's all for now. I'll come back if our 2010 FA plans pan out, but outside that I'm gonna be silently supporting this team till they move to Brooklyn. At that time, I may switch over to a full Knicks fan.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:51 PM   #2
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: For those who don't know, I'm retiring.

so long, and thanks for all the fish. you always wrote high-quality posts, so those will be missed. good luck with the knicks, or illini, or whoever you happen to get in to or stay with. college basketball is awesome in a lot of ways, so sometimes i envy those who chose that over a league of overpaid loudmouths and crybabies.

your main forums thread was a pretty fascinating read. where else does one learn that the japanese ballers are so much better than the chinese? asia is one (very big) place i've never been, so i'm always interested to read your cultural observations. learning / practicing buddhism the last month simply makes me even more interested. which reminds me... it's time to meditate. :P
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
MTing
Where Brooklyn at?

MTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Your one of the ISH Nets legends IMO. If we can retire jerseys, you would be up there.

Good luck man, it was great reading your posts.
MTing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:36 AM   #4
JerzeyBlaze
BBall gets u cut

JerzeyBlaze is considered somewhat coolJerzeyBlaze is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three
And here we are, on the cusp of moving my hometown team to Brooklyn. While one can argue that I owe them for the years and years of entertainment..I can't help but feel slighted that they can just up and move away. Through all this in the last few years of the talk of the Nets moving there, I think I've taken subconscious steps to distance myself from the team. I've taken up loving college basketball and my college team, the Illini. As childish as it sounds, I doubt they'll ever move the University anywhere.

Anyway, that's all for now. I'll come back if our 2010 FA plans pan out, but outside that I'm gonna be silently supporting this team till they move to Brooklyn. At that time, I may switch over to a full Knicks fan.

Don't know ya that well, but i feel ya on these quotes right here. I was born in Delaware, raised in S.Jerz and currently live in N.Jerz by NY. Been a nets fan for a long time and will always be a supporter but like you i feel slighted that there moving like that to BK. anyways feels ya on the post. Good luck in ur future endeaveors
JerzeyBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:29 PM   #5
ZHAKIDD532
#hellobrooklyn

ZHAKIDD532 is considered somewhat coolZHAKIDD532 is considered somewhat coolZHAKIDD532 is considered somewhat cool

I can relate. I've been a Nets fan for as long as I can remember. I'd become a Knicks fan if it wasn't so against my DNA. I see my future in the city after college anyway, and I can understand the reasons for wanting to move to Brooklyn, so I'll continue to support the Nets beyond NJ, though that will always be the way I think of them.

Nice conversing with you over the years, best to you.
ZHAKIDD532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:14 PM   #6
RichMo
OL' Schoolin 'em

RichMo has decent reputationRichMo has decent reputation

Good luck homie, You came in here and became a respected leader. You are one of a handful of guys that have been so important to this message board. I understand how hard it is to keep up as much. I hope you (like me) can pop in from time to time when the Nets start rolling again.

Peace Brother,
RichMo

reverbnation.com/mozesthemovement
RichMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:33 AM   #7
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Nets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Cya.
Sometimes I don't agree with ya'... sometimes I did.

You had some nice posts though.

Good luck with life
Nets fan 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: