Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-09-2009, 05:28 PM   #1
Lebron23
GOAT Small Forward

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Who had the better boxing career Roy Jones Jr. or Bernard Hopkins?

Roy Jones Jr. was hands down the best boxer in the 1990's while Bernard Hopkins arguably have the best boxing resume in the 2000's.
Lebron23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:31 PM   #2
BrooklynZoo
The Brooklyn Brawler.

BrooklynZoo has decent reputationBrooklynZoo has decent reputation
Default Re: Who had the better boxing career Roy Jones Jr. or Bernard Hopkins?

roy... he was the biggest name in boxing & p4p king for a while
BrooklynZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:34 PM   #3
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Interesting debate, I'd have to look harder into it before making a call. Roy beat him the first time they met, I think a rematch is in order. That would clear up the question a bit I think. Plus I'd definitely pay to see it
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:36 PM   #4
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Hopkins had a way better career.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:37 PM   #5
IcanzIIravor
NBA lottery pick

IcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron23
Roy Jones Jr. was hands down the best boxer in the 1990's while Bernard Hopkins arguably have the best boxing resume in the 2000's.

Roy had the better career. There was a time when he was considered the best in the business. If you're talking after their peak and in terms of longevity then BHOP could make a case. Of course Roy did beat him head to head.
IcanzIIravor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:51 PM   #6
BrooklynZoo
The Brooklyn Brawler.

BrooklynZoo has decent reputationBrooklynZoo has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
Interesting debate, I'd have to look harder into it before making a call. Roy beat him the first time they met, I think a rematch is in order. That would clear up the question a bit I think. Plus I'd definitely pay to see it

a fight now would not clear up anything. roy is way past his prime and hop is old
BrooklynZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:03 PM   #7
Lebron23
GOAT Small Forward

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59

Current Hopkins would school Roy Jones Jr. RJJ is still good, and I think he can still beat some of the lesser fighters in the Super Middleweight and Light Heavyweight Division.

Roy Jones Jr. (Some of the good fighters that he had beaten)

James Toney
Bernard Hopkins
Montell Griffin
Mike Mccallum
Prime Virgin Hill
Otis Grant
Vinnie Pazienza
John Ruiz (Worst Heavyweight Champion ever)
Felix Trinidad and Jeff Lacy (Both past their primes)

He's also a former Middleweight, Super Middleweight, Undisputed Light Heavyweight, and Heavyweight Champion.

Bernard Hopkins (21 title defenses)

He was already a good fighter in the 1990's, but he had a great career in the 2000's.

Glenn Johnson
Felix Trinidad (First boxer to TKO Trinidad)
William Joppy
Robert Allen
Keith Holmes
Oscar Dela Hoya (First Boxer to KO Dela Hoya, and De La Hoya was already shot after that fight)
Antonio Tarver
Winky Wright
Kelly Pavlik
Carl Daniels

( Former Unified World Middleweight Champion, and Former Light Heavyweight Champion).

Hopkins is still a top 5 pound for pound, and he issued a challenge againts Tomas Adamek for his Ring Magazine Cruiserweight title)
Old 03-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #8
Lebron23
GOAT Small Forward

Bernard Hopkins. He just became the oldest champion in Boxing History. Since I started this thread the Executioner have beaten Tavoris Cloud, and John Pascal.

Last edited by Lebron23 : 03-11-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #9
BRabbiT

BRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Hopkins
BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #10
Bucket_Nakedz
Buckle up

Bucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this board

roy is probably the most talented fighter we've ever seen. and as much as i love dude, i really think he underachieved in his career. he is an all time great, but he had the potential to be in the breath of ray robinson. he played too much, and i felt he never maxed out his potential consistently.

if rjj was as focused in most of his fights as he was against montell griffin 2. he'd be my goat. b-hop always adapted, got better with age, and didn't really on speed or athleticism. i prefer rjj as a fighter, but b-hop has the better career.

Last edited by Bucket_Nakedz : 03-11-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Bucket_Nakedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #11
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket_Nakedz
roy is probably the most talented fighter we've ever seen. and as much as i love dude, i really think he underachieved in his career. he is an all time great, but he had the potential to be in the breath of ray robinson. he played too much, and i felt he never maxed out his potential consistently.

if rjj was as focused in most of his fights as he was against montell griffin 2. he'd be my goat.

How can a guy who won titles from middle weight all the way up to heavyweight, something that has never been done, an underachiever? Roy's biggest problem was that he was so far ahead of the competition that he never had a truly great opponent to battle. His greatest opponent ended up being the battle to change body type so much and move up in weight. It took a huge toll on his body.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #12
lefthook00
College star

lefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected poster

Roy Jones should have fought Eubank, Benn, & McClellan. That would have been the Fabulous Four(Hagler, Leonard, Duran, Hearns) of the Super Middle division!!!! So sad what happened to McClellan, would have been an all-time great. Beat Roy in the amateurs, one of the hardest P4P punchers of ALL TIME, trained by Emanuel Steward in the legendary Kronk gym. Was beating the sh*t out of Benn until that blood clot. Many believe that it was after the McClellan/Benn fight that shook Roy to his core and decided to never get into brawls in his fights again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4OLpol8YAk
Think of a more orthodox Roy Jones with more power and aggression, and a better chin. One thing though is that he partied a lot, it would have caught up to him.

Last edited by lefthook00 : 03-11-2013 at 04:28 PM.
lefthook00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:12 PM   #13
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Tarik One has decent reputationTarik One has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket_Nakedz

if rjj was as focused in most of his fights as he was against montell griffin 2. he'd be my goat. b-hop always adapted, got better with age, and didn't really on speed or athleticism. i prefer rjj as a fighter, but b-hop has the better career.
He didn't have the potential to be on the level of Sugar Ray Robinson.

RJJ depended heavily on his reflexes and those reflexes helped mask his many fundamental flaws. Once his speed diminished, he was toast. That never happened to Ray.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #14
Flash88
Kids at the park dunk on me

Flash88 is popular on this boardFlash88 is popular on this boardFlash88 is popular on this boardFlash88 is popular on this board

Hopkins clearly had the better career resume-wise.

Jones was just a better boxer.
Flash88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #15
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle is a pretty well-respected posterL.Kizzle is a pretty well-respected posterL.Kizzle is a pretty well-respected posterL.Kizzle is a pretty well-respected poster

Jones had a better prime and peak.

Hop has the longevity by a long shot.
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: