Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 10-06-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Article: LA Times Blog - Andrew Bynum, playing time, and the fourth quarter

This is an interesting read.... some points concern me though... this is a partial posting so i suggest reading the whole thing. I read some of the comments Bynum makes and I just don't feel comfortable that his words match his actions.

I think he has learned to say the right things from a PR perspective, but that he is really not working hard to make those things happen. Why does he not have his own skills coach to improve his game? Why does he only work with a personal trainer during the off season? Etc, etc, etc. What do you folks think?

Source: Andrew Bynum, playing time, and the fourth quarter

Quote:

With details on Saturday's scrimmage fairly vague (everything seemed to go well in a spirited day's work), the bigger, or at least more interesting, topic ofconversation Monday afternoon in El Segundo was Andrew Bynum. Just as it was heading into last season, a healthy and productive Bynum could be the most profound point of improvement for this year's team, I think than the addition of Ron Artest. That the Lakers won it all last season without Bynum contributing fully then drives home the idea of just how good they can be.

It also emphasizes the incredible amount of talent, particularly frontcourt talent, the Lakers have at their disposal. For most teams, the notion that Bynum wouldn't play deep in the fourth quarter would be absurd. Most teams, though, don't have Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom at their disposal. Still, Bynum made it clear he wants some crunch time burn. "I expect to be out there at the end of the game. I expect to earn that. I expect to be able to block shots and put the ball into the basket at the end of games," he said.

More Bynum:

*With this being the first year of his new deal, Bynum was asked if he felt more pressure to perform. Don't freak out because he said "no." There's a reason. "I have no pressure now, other than to go out there now and give my effort. Put my effort forth and good things will happen. I don't have anything to worry about but to come in and play basketball." Meaning there aren't other distractions or worries, like the state of his contract extension. What any of this actually means depends a great deal on his work habits. For that, we'll just have to wait and see.

*Regarding the Kareem thing, Bynum said he's not sure what all the fuss is about, or at the very least, why this has become such a big story. "I have no idea where it's coming from. We haven't even got into the season yet. I only work with him during the season, so they'd have to be talking about offseason work, but I wasn't even here. I was overseas, and when I came back, I was in Atlanta working out," he said. Certainly PR director John Black wasn't making things up when he said last week that KAJ's role would be "generally lessened," but I was left with the impression in our (albeit short) conversation that Bynum really didn't know much about it. Personally, I'm not so concerned about from whom Bynum takes his instruction, just that he feels a continuing need to learn. Bynum noted that he's still coming in early every day to get extra work, and doesn't consider himself a finished product by any stretch.

*He'll only be wearing the brace on his right knee, the one he keeps reminding people that he'll need to wear forever,unwittingly freaking out many fans each time he says it.

*The offseason leg work, Bynum says, has helped equalize his leg strength. Entering last season, Bynum says he was much more right-leg dominant.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:57 AM   #2
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Article: LA Times Blog - Andrew Bynum, playing time, and the fourth quarter

I don't see any comments that "scare" people but I can see a controversial one when he says he doesn't feel pressure. Some people might assume it as he doesn't care.

So he added some strength in his lower body. That's good. He's gonna need it. It's a long season and so far he's proven to only last half of it.

Kareem might I point out, also takes many things personally.

He might have thought that Bynum was flaking out on him when he really was just overseas. I remember a year or two ago, Kareem was mad at Magic Johnson for not showing up to something Kareem had celebrated. I don't understand exactly what it was, but someone of Magic's caliber is always busy I am sure. Someone like Kareem just seems to be a bit dramatic. I can see why people struggle with him.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:00 PM   #3
SoCalMike

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Article: LA Times Blog - Andrew Bynum, playing time, and the fourth quarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
I don't see any comments that "scare" people but I can see a controversial one when he says he doesn't feel pressure. Some people might assume it as he doesn't care.

So he added some strength in his lower body. That's good. He's gonna need it. It's a long season and so far he's proven to only last half of it.

Kareem might I point out, also takes many things personally.

He might have thought that Bynum was flaking out on him when he really was just overseas. I remember a year or two ago, Kareem was mad at Magic Johnson for not showing up to something Kareem had celebrated. I don't understand exactly what it was, but someone of Magic's caliber is always busy I am sure. Someone like Kareem just seems to be a bit dramatic. I can see why people struggle with him.

I think you missed the points I made. What is more important than anything he said was his actions that don't seem to match up to what he says. I would not be so naive to think that everything's fine. I am not trying to be an alarmist, but I am trying to point out that we have seen a pattern with him since he started in the league at an ever so young 17 years old.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:11 PM   #4
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
I think you missed the points I made. What is more important than anything he said was his actions that don't seem to match up to what he says. I would not be so naive to think that everything's fine. I am not trying to be an alarmist, but I am trying to point out that we have seen a pattern with him since he started in the league at an ever so young 17 years old.

Well there is one thing we can't deny. His work ethic to stay in shape is phenomenal.

I wish he can improve his post game a little more. Its already pretty good, but it can be better.

His defense and rebounding need to be consistent from the start.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:03 PM   #5
SoCalMike

Quote:
Well there is one thing we can't deny. His work ethic to stay in shape is phenomenal.

I wish he can improve his post game a little more. Its already pretty good, but it can be better.

I am not so convinced of that to be honest.... he does tire easily.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:27 PM   #6
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

i'd say that's true but he really has never been in shape..lol i think it's mostly talk

i just don't know what to think about this kid, i have had a feeling for over a year now he's buying his own hype and is more interested in "being''" the next great big man then actually doing the things required to "become" the next great big man... the good point is the lakers don't need him actually, he's a luxury at this time if he performs all the better, if not, still a well balanced team...
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:20 PM   #7
SoCalMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
i'd say that's true but he really has never been in shape..lol i think it's mostly talk

i just don't know what to think about this kid, i have had a feeling for over a year now he's buying his own hype and is more interested in "being''" the next great big man then actually doing the things required to "become" the next great big man... the good point is the lakers don't need him actually, he's a luxury at this time if he performs all the better, if not, still a well balanced team...

i like the way gts says this....

Old 10-06-2009, 02:33 PM   #8
SoCalMike

Default Article: OC Register - Lakers' Bynum bracing for a big year

Another interesting article on Bynum... just for our consumption and debate. Its a long read, so please click on the link to read the entire article!

I also dont think Zarzana (Bynum's trainer) knows more or has more experience than Gary Vitti who's seen it all. Is Bynum listening to the right people?

Source: Lakers' Bynum bracing for a big year

Quote:

EL SEGUNDO The champagne had just sprayed in that muggy locker room in Orlando, and Andrew Bynum sat down in front of his locker for a breather amid the celebration.

Nearby sat a trashcan, and Bynum looked over at it, lifted his head up, and picked up his knee brace.

Bynum ceremoniously began to toss it in the trash. Then he stopped with a smile and pulled it back.

Turns out, the thing might end up holding the Lakers together this season, too – and maybe even save Bynum’s career.

Nearly four months later, that brace for his right knee is still on – and his doctor is telling him he’ll be wearing it for the rest of his career. Bynum even came into this season with a plan to wear another brace over his left knee, despite the fact that it didn’t even trouble him all last season.

Bynum has since decided against wearing the second brace – it was rubbing against his left knee and irritating it, so he concluded it wasn’t worth the aggravation – but the fact that a sane man was going to wear such a bulky, mobility-limiting brace over an uninjured knee should tell you what we’re dealing with here.

To put it broadly, Bynum’s knees have been and remain ticking time bombs, at least with regard to impact. Specifically, he suffers from ligamentous laxity (or looseness), which is the reason his doctor said it was “a must” for him to wear the right-knee brace.

Maybe Bynum should’ve been wearing braces even before, because the Lakers noticed the loose ligaments, knock-kneed frame and oversized upper body vs. undersized lower body long before Bynum suffered his January 2008 left-knee patella subluxation (another common injury for those with ligamentous laxity) or his January 2009 right-knee torn medial collateral ligament.

The kid – he’s not yet 22 – remains the wild card in the Lakers’ stacked deck, even with Ron Artest’s jack of hearts thrown in there. How good might Bynum be? ESPN stats analyst John Hollinger’s per-minute productivity projections for this season have Bynum pegged as the No. 9 player in the entire NBA.

The starry names falling in line behind Bynum are Bosh, Bryant, Roy, Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, Gasol.

Please resume your normal breathing now.
Even his personal trainer for the past three years, Sean Zarzana, understands there is an “if” before Bynum’s perfect “then.”

“If health falls our way,” Zarzana said, “then forget it. He’s ready. He’s the real deal.”

About that “if,” though … Bynum said Monday his MCL is healed but “still loose.” Zarzana described the ligament as remaining “overstretched,” although he said it’s “not in any danger of rupture.”

Zarzana acknowledged Bynum having more inherent laxity but wrote it off as a product of his height, saying: “People are built differently.” Zarzana said he puts Bynum through such challenging workouts on the track, in the weight room and on the court for six weeks each summer that he can’t really agree with Lakers trainer Gary Vitti’s assessment of Bynum’s stilted build after the 2008 knee injury: “It makes him prone to this type of thing.”

Said Zarzana: “If he were predisposed because of biomechanical deficiencies or whatever it was, I think he could’ve been injured doing normal routine activities. And I push this guy like I can’t tell you.”

Old 10-06-2009, 02:36 PM   #9
SoCalMike

Sorry, one more interesting nugget (as a positive) from the OC Register article...

Quote:

Besides all the emphasis over the summer on lower-body workouts to build up Bynum’s base, he worked with former NBA player Gerald Wilkins and Zarzana on exploding all the way to the basket – particularly out of the weak-side framework of the triangle offense.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:49 PM   #10
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

GREAT point about his conditioning. I heard he was really overweight coming out of high school, losing a chunk of it when he was drafted. He lost fat and overall developed good muscle mass etc over the years. For his built, it's so difficult to stay in good playing shape etc.
Having said that, I just think there are signs that there have been a growing animosity bet him and the coaches. He's just been less receptive, constantly talking back at them etc. Phil has been quite careful in not ripping him publicly but has continued to bench him more regularly last season, unwilling to protect him early in games where he gets into foul trouble 70% of the time.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:23 PM   #11
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

gts and SoCal,

I would think it is. I remember when we refused to trade Bynum for JO in the summer time and in an article it mentioned "the front office are hesitant because of how well Bynum has been working out".

The times he was exploding last season, he was playing well over 30 minutes a game.

He reminds me of Odom in a sense where he needs about 15 games to get his timing back, but once its back, it becomes scary for the rest of the league. He moves around on offense and makes it easier for guys like Kobe to make decisions.

So while he probably doesn't have a good "basketball" work ethic....it APPEARS to me that he at least stays in shape. How many centers actually do that today?
Old 10-06-2009, 04:57 PM   #12
SoCalMike

Quote:
gts and SoCal,

I would think it is. I remember when we refused to trade Bynum for JO in the summer time and in an article it mentioned "the front office are hesitant because of how well Bynum has been working out".

The times he was exploding last season, he was playing well over 30 minutes a game.

He reminds me of Odom in a sense where he needs about 15 games to get his timing back, but once its back, it becomes scary for the rest of the league. He moves around on offense and makes it easier for guys like Kobe to make decisions.

So while he probably doesn't have a good "basketball" work ethic....it APPEARS to me that he at least stays in shape. How many centers actually do that today?

All of the all-star caliber centers do... I don't think he has a good work-ethic (although his work ethic may be decent), which is part of the problem with his development. Just because he spends a month and a half with a trainer does not make him in good basketball shape.

For me, I do have concerns. I want him to be a great center, but he has to stop talking about it and actually do it for a sustained period of time. That means making sure his body is 100% and also working with coaches to improve is skills and knowledge of the game. Enough talking.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:45 PM   #13
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
All of the all-star caliber centers do... I don't think he has a good work-ethic (although his work ethic may be decent), which is part of the problem with his development. Just because he spends a month and a half with a trainer does not make him in good basketball shape.

For me, I do have concerns. I want him to be a great center, but he has to stop talking about it and actually do it for a sustained period of time. That means making sure his body is 100% and also working with coaches to improve is skills and knowledge of the game. Enough talking.

I agree with both sides on this issue and articles.....you all are making excellent points....it really comes down to "What do you believe".

I love the fact that he is working on his lower body strength.....way too many athletes neglect the lower body and only work on their arms....such as Dwight Howard.....because, who flexes their leg muscles for the cameras???
As you notice...that's all Dwight ever does.

There is really no pressure on Bynum because the Lakers have proven they don't need HIM to win a championship.....I think this is actually a good thing as long as long as he works hard and desires to be a goto guy in the 4th....I am very encouraged by what he said. Anytime you see an athlete who feels pressure due to a contract they signed they play poorly......Our rare situation gives him a unique advantage.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:31 PM   #14
SoCalMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
I agree with both sides on this issue and articles.....you all are making excellent points....it really comes down to "What do you believe".

I love the fact that he is working on his lower body strength.....way too many athletes neglect the lower body and only work on their arms....such as Dwight Howard.....because, who flexes their leg muscles for the cameras???
As you notice...that's all Dwight ever does.

There is really no pressure on Bynum because the Lakers have proven they don't need HIM to win a championship.....I think this is actually a good thing as long as long as he works hard and desires to be a goto guy in the 4th....I am very encouraged by what he said. Anytime you see an athlete who feels pressure due to a contract they signed they play poorly......Our rare situation gives him a unique advantage.

Ok, who stole DKLaker's password?

Old 10-06-2009, 07:40 PM   #15
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
gts and SoCal,

that was after his rookie season.. lot's has changed since then..one being two injuries that have sidelined him twice for nealry a full season in total... at the time one of the only things that kept me from thinking it was a good trade was the o'neal was injured alot.. with 20/20 hindsight i'd pull the trigger on that trade in a heart beat now

when you really break it down in his years as a laker he has given the team about 10 good weeks of basketball...lol the rest has been riddled with poor showings and injuries... sooner or later he has to put up or shut up, now is that time. he has the big contract he has his personal trainer, and private doctors, he has shunned laker doctors, his personal trainer is throwing little barbs vitti's way and now kareem's help has been dismissed... so to me it's time for andrew to deliver on his self induced hype
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: