Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 10-07-2009, 11:53 PM   #1
halffttime
shorty doowop

halffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation here
Default by july 3rd next year, i will be dunking..

book it

stats right now.
height: 5'10
weight: 188lbs
standing reach: 7'7 (FULLY extended)
vertical: unknown..

i've never measured my vertical, only estimated.. and right now i would say it's around 30inches, no e-stats. i can touch the rim with 1 step (left foot planted and step up with my right). i'm a 2feet power jumper and can't leap for sh!t. i've never actually weight-trained, only half-assed leg extensions and squats with light weights. i've also never done any plyometric programs.

how i plan to achieve this:
- drop down to 165-170
- start hitting the gym at school
- from now until around february, i'll be focusing on weight training
- squats, deadlifts, legpress machine, lunges with heavy dumbbells
- from february to deadline, i'll start the begginer's program on vertical jump bible

i'm not trying to put down any reverse double-pump dunk or nothing, atleast not yet. just a simple sorta-leaner dunk with my left hand (i jump higher with my right foot leading) OR just a hard one-handed dunk going straight up.

IT'S HAPPENING!

edit: that's my 20th birthday.
halffttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:39 AM   #2
lilojmayo
#lovethat32

lilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: by july 3rd next year, i will be dunking..

Quote:
Originally Posted by halffttime
book it

stats right now.
height: 5'10
weight: 188lbs
standing reach: 7'7 (FULLY extended)
vertical: unknown..

i've never measured my vertical, only estimated.. and right now i would say it's around 30inches, no e-stats. i can touch the rim with 1 step (left foot planted and step up with my right). i'm a 2feet power jumper and can't leap for sh!t. i've never actually weight-trained, only half-assed leg extensions and squats with light weights. i've also never done any plyometric programs.

how i plan to achieve this:
- drop down to 165-170
- start hitting the gym at school
- from now until around february, i'll be focusing on weight training
- squats, deadlifts, legpress machine, lunges with heavy dumbbells
- from february to deadline, i'll start the begginer's program on vertical jump bible

i'm not trying to put down any reverse double-pump dunk or nothing, atleast not yet. just a simple sorta-leaner dunk with my left hand (i jump higher with my right foot leading) OR just a hard one-handed dunk going straight up.

IT'S HAPPENING!

edit: that's my 20th birthday.

Yeah keep at it Halfftime. It is always good to set goals for yourself. W/O goals their is no motivation. I have set really high ones for myself for next year winter basketball wise and athletism wise.

On the sidenote do some core exercises also especially since you are a jumper and not a leaper. I still remember the first day i touch rim, it is like when people remember the day the started dating. February 26, 2006 honestly one of the greatest feelings i felt before on a bball court.

Last edited by lilojmayo : 10-08-2009 at 06:44 AM.
lilojmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:04 AM   #3
LevisJeans
Underdog

LevisJeans is a pretty well-respected posterLevisJeans is a pretty well-respected posterLevisJeans is a pretty well-respected poster

Do you want to have a race? I made summer 2010 my goal, too. I'm your height so it'll be (nearly) fair. First one to post a pic of themselves dunking wins?
LevisJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:28 AM   #4
lilojmayo
#lovethat32

lilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevisJeans
Do you want to have a race? I made summer 2010 my goal, too. I'm your height so it'll be (nearly) fair. First one to post a pic of themselves dunking wins?

I have told dab0yech0 this before never do anything for the sole purpose for ISH or posting something on ISH videos pics about yourself. ( other ppl thats total fine and encouraged). Cause at the end of the day who cares what ISHiots think, especially the haters.

If anything you should challenge your "real life" friends. Someone who is in a similiar boat as yourself.
lilojmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:38 AM   #5
halffttime
shorty doowop

halffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilojmayo
Yeah keep at it Halfftime. It is always good to set goals for yourself. W/O goals their is no motivation. I have set really high ones for myself for next year winter basketball wise and athletism wise.

On the sidenote do some core exercises also especially since you are a jumper and not a leaper. I still remember the first day i touch rim, it is like when people remember the day the started dating. February 26, 2006 honestly one of the greatest feelings i felt before on a bball court.

core exercises make a BIG difference, i been wondering why i actually jump higher now that i do before when i was 25lbs lighter. i realized it's probably the deadlifts i've started doing. i've only only actually started touching regulation rim a month ago. i've always been limited with park rims and only come close to touching regulation. lol first time i touched it, i was actually pretty shocked at how easy it was. i'm shooting around in the gym with a bunch of people and everyone notices i'm waiting for them to stop shooting for a second so they do, and when i tried... TAPPED THAT SH!T
Old 10-08-2009, 08:41 AM   #6
halffttime
shorty doowop

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevisJeans

lol aigght man, how old are you?.. video would be better
Old 10-08-2009, 10:49 AM   #7
Automajic23
Playground Legend

Automajic23 is considered somewhat coolAutomajic23 is considered somewhat cool

great goal to pursue. I got to the point where I could jam with 1 hand off my left foot but couldnt throw it down, basketball season came to a disappointing end so I stopped weight training. I still have practice with the team I play on now but I don't think my vert is there anymore; I can still grab the rim off either foot and 2 legged, but I cant dunk currently, it sucks.

losing 20 lbs is going to be a challenge, try not to lose muscle! When I got under 170 finally (I'm 6' and about 1.5 years ago I was floating below 190). I fluctuate weekly btw 167-175, it depends what I'm eating.
Automajic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:46 PM   #8
LevisJeans
Underdog

LevisJeans is a pretty well-respected posterLevisJeans is a pretty well-respected posterLevisJeans is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilojmayo
I have told dab0yech0 this before never do anything for the sole purpose for ISH or posting something on ISH videos pics about yourself. ( other ppl thats total fine and encouraged). Cause at the end of the day who cares what ISHiots think, especially the haters.

If anything you should challenge your "real life" friends. Someone who is in a similiar boat as yourself.

None of the kids that I play with are close to dunking. Things like this motivate me to train harder.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:47 PM   #9
LevisJeans
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by halffttime
lol aigght man, how old are you?.. video would be better

I'm 14. Yea, I meant video, but I posted this early in the morning so I wasn't thinking straight.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #10
MannyO
Super Cool E

MannyO has decent reputation

I was wondering if you want to jump off 2 feet and you are right handed should you jump with right foot planted first then left or the other way. My right foot is also stronger than my left.
MannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:44 AM   #11
halffttime
shorty doowop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyO
I was wondering if you want to jump off 2 feet and you are right handed should you jump with right foot planted first then left or the other way. My right foot is also stronger than my left.
i'm right handed and my left leg is way stronger than my right. i would assume this to be the case for most right-handers, since they'd usually be launching strong off their left foot to go up for a right-handed lay up. when jumping off both feet, i usually jump off with my left foot planted first follow by my right foot forward. any other way and i feel extremely awkward and don't get as much air..
Old 10-09-2009, 01:52 AM   #12
Nash-tastic
Great college starter

Nash-tastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNash-tastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNash-tastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNash-tastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNash-tastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNash-tastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNash-tastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNash-tastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNash-tastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNash-tastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNash-tastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Good Luck
Nash-tastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:02 PM   #13
Kumo
ISH Jump Crew

Kumo is considered somewhat coolKumo is considered somewhat coolKumo is considered somewhat cool

Yo halfftime, I'm in this ***** with you. I'm an inch taller, 40 pounds lighter, also a two footed jumper, and also just started tapping rim. In addition to your list, should add stretching. I'm really gonna try working on my flexibility now, I think it will help jumping a lot, and recovery.

I'm starting to do this, and it's hard as hell.. I can't even get perpendicular to the ground, but leaves a lot of improvement.

My squat has been going up like crazy too, at 225.. but gonna chill here for a few workouts before I go up again.
Kumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:24 PM   #14
halffttime
shorty doowop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumo
Yo halfftime, I'm in this ***** with you. I'm an inch taller, 40 pounds lighter, also a two footed jumper, and also just started tapping rim. In addition to your list, should add stretching. I'm really gonna try working on my flexibility now, I think it will help jumping a lot, and recovery.

I'm starting to do this, and it's hard as hell.. I can't even get perpendicular to the ground, but leaves a lot of improvement.

My squat has been going up like crazy too, at 225.. but gonna chill here for a few workouts before I go up again.

yea stretching's good for you. i'm such an idiot for not doing it. i ALWAYS forget to stretch, and ALWAYS go home either with cramps or in fear of moving the wrong way and getting them. i used one of those eliptical(sp?) machines after playing ball the other day, and i started feeling cramps coming after 10 seconds on it, lol.. i had to slowly get off and looked like an idiot..

is 225 your 1 rep maximum for squats?
Old 10-09-2009, 11:23 PM   #15
Kumo
ISH Jump Crew

Kumo is considered somewhat coolKumo is considered somewhat coolKumo is considered somewhat cool

Nah, I'm 225 with 3x6. I've been going below paralell, but I'm gonna stay here and try and get ATG before I go ahead. Then I might mix it up and drop a little weight and do 3x10 when I get to 250 probably.

Tomorrow is leg day. Lesss gooooo.
Kumo is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: