Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Dallas Mavericks Forum

Dallas Mavericks Forum Dallas Mavericks message board - mavs message board - dallas mavericks fan forum

Old 10-24-2006, 01:39 PM   #1
KBTwoFour
Athletic Park Baller

KBTwoFour has no real reputation yet.
Unhappy In all of the Fantasy Basketball Leagues I've drafted in Diop and Dampier...

arent drafted. I've drafted like 10 teams so far in various leagues, ranging from Yahoo live draft and friends leagues locally. For some reason they just don't get picked, like the left handed red headed kid on at school that nobody wants because he can't get out of his own way.

My question to you Mavs fans is since your team plays the "center by committee" philosophy, wouldn't it be better if you had 1 "above average" center instead of 2 "highly mediocre" centers? You know, since your team/owner is among the top 5 in the league in terms of wealth and willingness to spend, shouldn't you look to trade Dampier, get rid of his salary and attempt to upgrade to get a good center like 1) Dalembert 2) Z. Pachulia 3) N. Mohammed 4) J. Magloire, hell even 5) D. Gadzuric would be better (he just had 5 blocks against you guys in preseason), and all of these are ranked higher. Also Yahoo ownership % of Diop is at 10% (which means that only 10% of EVERY SINGLE yahoo fantasy team owner on the WHOLE website picked Diop and only 60% picked Dampier probably because of a recognizable name).

Those are disparaging numbers you guys. I say stand up, make a sign, a "To Do" list or something and shout to the ownership "I'm not going to take mediocrity anymore! We need a proven Center! One that isn't going to eat up our precious salary cap room and our pre-game buffet tables. We need something to get us over the "proverbial hump"!"

I'm just concerned here, mavs fans, that since your team is deep in pretty much every way except Center (i mean you're deep there but its a deceiving deep because your Centers are patsies), that your team won't get over that proverbial "Hump" and win a championship. I mean, thousands if not Hundreds of thousands of yahoo users can't be wrong right?!

Granted, Diop is making big strides for you guys and even though his ownership is a paltry 10% on the whole yahoo fantasy league network , he should be an above average center. Dampier, probably needs to go...soon...before you lose out on his trade value. Wait, nevermind, you probably can't trade him, because you're on the hook for like [b]5 years and like $48 Million[b]. It won't be until the 2010/2011 season before he's serious trade deadline bait to off-load, and he's making only 6 million less than Dirk over the life of his contract OUCH! . Man, Mavs fans need to unite, because Dirk isn't getting any younger and if he keeps playing year round with the German team it won't be pretty going into the playoffs without a decent Center to exploit teams like Phoenix "Sean Marks" (Amare isn't a Center and still healing, so I guess Diaw San Antonio's Francisco Elson (starter) who have weak Centers.

But I digress, I've seen some of your threads and they praise Dampier and Diop , so I suppose I and ALL of the Yahoo Fantasy owners don't know anything about NBA centers.
KBTwoFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 02:05 PM   #2
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

Silent Mav has decent reputationSilent Mav has decent reputation

Quote:
so I suppose I and ALL of the Yahoo Fantasy owners don't know anything about NBA centers.

Well, there's probably a good chance of that. I was going to try to explain the good points of the Mavs centers. And some other issues. But why type all that when it comes down to one point. It's fantasy basketball, what happens there doesn't translate to winning basketball games.

If you are going to continue to rag on the Mavs centers, go right ahead. But at least make an arguement based in reality not fantasy. How high are Garnett and Pierce rated in fantasy? Where were their teams during the playoffs last year?
Silent Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 02:43 PM   #3
KBTwoFour
Athletic Park Baller

Cool

Ok genius. Silentmav, Apparently you aren't familiar with the fact that in modern day NBA, Champions ALWAYS have a GOOD, if not dominant Center in some form or fashion on their starting lineup.

The point was not to just turn your head because the word "fantasy" was used to describe your Centers abilities towards getting over the "hump", if that day comes again in the Finals.

The point was to let you know that because your Centers (especially Diop) aren't picked for Fantasy owners, its an indication that they aren't productive in much of any particular category. And if you think that you've got a championship caliber team for years to come, you'd better look elsewhere for Centers that not only are respected around the league, they produce well enough to be seen on Fantasy owners' radar.

I'm sure the return response is, "You can't measure heart, and you can't measure some of the dirty work done by our Centers". True, you can't. But you can certainly look up to see which teams won championships and who their starting Centers are the last 10 to 15 years, if not through much of the history of the NBA, other than the Jordan Championships (and Cartwright was no slouch). You'll find that the Center was an integral and clinching blow in the finals winning teams. Sorry but, your two Centers just aren't going to cut it. Maybe Diop sooner rather than later hopefully for your sake, but not as long as you have to pay Dampier big $$$ through the 2011 season
Old 10-24-2006, 02:56 PM   #4
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

No, the point was if you're going to come in here and start another thread bashing the Mavs centers. At least base it on something beside fantasy. I could bring up Rasho for the Spurs. And go see how Matthew Berry recommends picking up Diop for blocks before you speak for the fantasy world. And the main reason I turn my head is because you've done this before. You didn't get enough attention last time I guess. And if you aren't careful with the name calling your posts won't last long.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:06 PM   #5
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

I've also seen your post in the Lakers forum. You admit to starting this thread to start a rivalry. If you want to talk hoops fine. But starting threads for the sake of starting something, then asking people to come join in, is not going to cut it.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:26 PM   #6
KBTwoFour
Athletic Park Baller

Ok McGruff the Crime dog.

Its fine. I did bring up credibility issues with the history of NBA Champions and having a credible Center to win. Stop trying to be cool and stick to the issue. I've seen your posts before on this topic too, gross hyperbole at best.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:32 PM   #7
hotsizzle
Superstar

hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here

KBTwoFour, stop the trash. we're all here to discuss basketball in a civilized way. Everyone is welcomed to post in any team forum, thats fine, but do it in a civilized way. To start attacks or a so called "rivalry" is immature stuff. Im deleting your post in the Lakers forum
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:44 PM   #8
KBTwoFour
Athletic Park Baller

Talk about over reacting.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:47 PM   #9
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

The only issue is you and what you are trying to do. You've already been exposed as creating this thread only to start trouble. Don't try to backtrack.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:42 PM   #10
soog
I brick open layups

soog has no real reputation yet.

First off, the main post is rediculous. Anyone that plays fantasy sports knows you never draft a person who is part of a two headed monster. No fantasy football guys drafted any RBs that were part of a tandem in the first round. You'd rather have a mediocre guy who plays 4 quarters than a good guy who plays 2. Damp and Diop, at 20 minutes a piece will never give you starters numbers. Put shaq any of your "good" centers listed earlier in for 20min/gm and tell me what happens to their numbers.

And then I would go further into the argument of "compare stats per 48 min to get accurate numbers to compare." But I've done it before in other threads that I know this laker fan has read, so I'll leave it alone.

As far as championship teams having dominant centers tell me, was it luc longley or bill winnington who was "dominant" for the bulls?

What else ya got man? Rivalries usually consist of evenly matched competitions... you're gonna have to step it up a notch and pull out some extra brain power here if you want a rivalry.

Last edited by soog : 10-25-2006 at 01:45 PM.
soog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 05:51 PM   #11
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here

Diop stopped duncan in OT game 7 against the spurs. Thanks later. BTW if Offensive rebounds in any leagues was a category then damp would be picked up.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:13 PM   #12
mavsfan4zindagi
Decent college freshman

mavsfan4zindagi has an OK reputation so far

You know that this clown is reaching when he starts using FANTASY basketball to try and base his ridiculous claims.
mavsfan4zindagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 10:43 AM   #13
flamethrower42
Can barely lace up my sneakers

flamethrower42 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan4zindagi
You know that this clown is reaching when he starts using FANTASY basketball to try and base his ridiculous claims.

Yeah, we need fantasy basketball to give us direction.
flamethrower42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 01:47 PM   #14
RIP_KB TwoFour
I Hit Open Layups

RIP_KB TwoFour has an OK reputation so far
Talking So far this season your Stud Centers with familiar teammates have done???

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamethrower42
Yeah, we need fantasy basketball to give us direction.

I know, my alter ego was so wrong. Fantasy stats from Centers rarely help a "team" like the Mavericks to Wins let alone a decent record. So far you morons need to wake up and smell what you are shoveling.
FG% FTM 3PTM PTS REB AST ST BLK
Diop - .500 2 0 6 15 1 1 3 Minutes Played-(Avg)-19:00

Damp- .583 3 0 17 17 1 0 2 Minutes Played (Avg)-19:41

Bynum- .677 23 0 65 38 8 0 7 Minutes Played-(Avg) 21:11

Turiaf- .750 15 0 45 23 4 4 5 Minutes Played- (Avg) 15:41

I know, I know, the season is young and all that, yada yada, but if you guys want to insult me for bringing issues about how inefficient your "TAG TEAM" of centers are then continue, but the numbers dont lie. Nor do past season averages. Don't make me post career averages and how both of your centers aren't going in the direction of game changing status. By the way, the two Lakers centers being compared to your MAIN Centers are our two backups. Man am I glad the season has started. Bynum had more rebounds than Diop's WHOLE SEASON in 1 GAME with similar minutes to DIOP and he's a 19 year old

Y'all are just getting served with a plate of humiliation right now, how does that feel?!

Come on Mavs fans stop hating on the truth, trust me I'll leave your forum alone, but not after you guys admit that you are and were wrong about your TAGTEAM of Centers' abilities and proficiencies compared to the Lakers (backups no doubt).
And yes, my wacko moderator (Hotsizzle=faker, underserving of such powers) took away my posting abilities because I was talking about this before the season started, it stinks being right.

Last edited by RIP_KB TwoFour : 11-08-2006 at 01:56 PM.
RIP_KB TwoFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 06:40 PM   #15
MagicToWorthy
Kids at the park dunk on me

MagicToWorthy has an OK reputation so far

Yeah I know about Diops lack of fantasy value. He may help the hot shooting mavs but he definitely isn't going to fill up the box score. DIME MAGAZINE HAD THIS TO SAY ABOUT DIOP after 2006:

DeSagana Diop, Mavs center -- Dish another assist. Big guy, this is the giving season. We know you're no Vlade Divac, but your last assist came on Nov. 27, giving you five for the season. With 34 turnovers, the assist-turnover ratio could be better. Not Yinka territory here, but you're daring to come close.
MagicToWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: