Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2009, 11:28 PM   #1
phoenix18
4/27/91-7/23/09
 
phoenix18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: ATL
Posts: 15,669
phoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Potential.

Potential-something that can develop or become actual

I just want to reach it. I know that I am not going to be an NBA,Euro league player, whatever. I just want to reach my full potential. I made my fair share of mistakes, not taking this game I hold so dearly seriously. I pissed away opportunities that people wish they had.(Such as playing with an NBA player in HS) Here I am, 19, going to community college, out of shape, having a feeling that I could have been a great player. I could have played at least D-2 basketball(one of my ex teammates play D-2 and I was just as good, no, I was better than him) but for some reason, a lack of common sense and an overdose of arrogance got in the way.

Does could ever matter? No, but it lingers in the back of my mind. Ever time I see a game, the question what if I did not get kicked off the team pop into my head. Regrets litter my thoughts and drive me to just become a complete player, something I could be proud of. I blew my chance a long time ago, but putting the work in anyways numbs the pain of failure. Each shot I take gives me a breath of fresh air, I spend hours in the gym practicing just to keep my sanity. I know I couldn't live without basketball, but its always a slap in the face as well.

These last two and a half years have completely changed me. I am not the same person I was and now I understand how misfortune can really change people for the worst.

Every young player here, Maga, Levi, etc, dont make the same mistakes I did. Take the game seriously, listen to your coach, dont take years off. It will come back to haunt you. I was a team cancer, crying about PT and arguing with the coach because of the lack of PT for me. Its ironic that my favorite player is Allen Ezail Iverson huh?

It feels good posting this, its odd.
phoenix18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:04 AM   #2
Al Thornton
the mind is so complex
 
Al Thornton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: when you're based
Posts: 21,479
Al Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Potential.

Man the best basketball players in the world (not saying you had the potential to be this good) never make the NBA. The only reason you should work hard with basketball is to go to a good school, if you end up playing professionally then that's just a bonus. It's too bad you didn't work harder and stay focused.
Al Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:51 AM   #3
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic
 
Swaggin916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 4,499
Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Potential.

People are so brainwashed these days... The real reason you should play basketball is because you love playing... not to go to a good school. I dislike school, but I love bball... I would go play in Europe, or anywhere before I went to college. I wouldn't care about making money, I would just want to play. I am not that good though nor do I really want to put in the time to get that good. I just want to be able to play well pickup games, make some nice plays, and throw it down

For you tho, it sounds like you really want to play. You have to figure what is more important, chasing that dream now and going to school later (or maybe just getting a job and forgetting about school entirely), or getting that education. Personally, I don't have anything I would want to make a career... So I just work different odd jobs to make money... and I am fine with that. A lot of people want more than that, and that's fine too. It all comes down to what you really want to do and the sacrifices you are willing to make. If you love bball enough, you will do it what takes to play somewhere (or at least give it your best shot) where you can hopefully make basketball a living. Even if it was a modest living... how cool would that be? I say go for it, and don't be afraid to fail. Don't put too much pressure on yourself, but don't be passive either. You may end up failing and you need to know what you are going to do if that happens so have a plan in place.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 11-06-2009 at 02:55 AM.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:47 AM   #4
davo ownz
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Potential.

Mate, that is one of the most inspirational things I have ever read. Bless you man, I am not religous but whatever, I just cant describe to you how motivating that is to me, tomorrow I am going to train all day, shoot, plyo, sprints and its for you mate, just don't give up.

I am going to shoot till I fall asleep, trian till I cant.

Please, don't give up man, I beg for you to rejoin a team, don't give in. Hit that gym, shoot those baskets, join a team. Whatever don't let the game you love slip away from the fingers who've spent hours training for the desire you are about to let go.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:37 PM   #5
phoenix18
4/27/91-7/23/09
 
phoenix18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: ATL
Posts: 15,669
phoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Thornton
Man the best basketball players in the world (not saying you had the potential to be this good) never make the NBA. The only reason you should work hard with basketball is to go to a good school, if you end up playing professionally then that's just a bonus. It's too bad you didn't work harder and stay focused.

I was telling Bankshot the same thing in that 1 one on one versus an NBA player thread. Those guys know they are lucky because they have seen better players than them not make it. I made this thread to talk to the younger posters on here. (I guess that failed, none of them responded) I wanted them to stay focused and not make the same mistakes that I did. I am working as hard as I can now, and almost always have the basketball in my hand. This is probably the first post where you didnt insult me and criticize my taste in music.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
People are so brainwashed these days... The real reason you should play basketball is because you love playing... not to go to a good school. I dislike school, but I love bball... I would go play in Europe, or anywhere before I went to college. I wouldn't care about making money, I would just want to play. I am not that good though nor do I really want to put in the time to get that good. I just want to be able to play well pickup games, make some nice plays, and throw it down

For you tho, it sounds like you really want to play. You have to figure what is more important, chasing that dream now and going to school later (or maybe just getting a job and forgetting about school entirely), or getting that education. Personally, I don't have anything I would want to make a career... So I just work different odd jobs to make money... and I am fine with that. A lot of people want more than that, and that's fine too. It all comes down to what you really want to do and the sacrifices you are willing to make. If you love bball enough, you will do it what takes to play somewhere (or at least give it your best shot) where you can hopefully make basketball a living. Even if it was a modest living... how cool would that be? I say go for it, and don't be afraid to fail. Don't put too much pressure on yourself, but don't be passive either. You may end up failing and you need to know what you are going to do if that happens so have a plan in place.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I dont know what I am going to do yet. I wanted to go to a garbage D-1 school and try to walk on in my second year. I think I could do it I just need to practice harder than I ever have and get into the best shape of my life. Not that hard.

I honestly always wanted to be a pro b-ball player but that dream might be fading away. All my life, I heard, you should play for the school, you are really good, blah-blah. I wasted it. Its going to be hard to get that back since that I am way behind the curve.

Last edited by phoenix18 : 11-07-2009 at 04:42 PM.
phoenix18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:19 PM   #6
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic
 
Swaggin916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 4,499
Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Potential.

Better late than never... don't make excuses for yourself. Do it or don't.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:53 PM   #7
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!
 
ProfessorMurder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: In the year 2525
Posts: 26,640
ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix18
Potential-something that can develop or become actual

I just want to reach it. I know that I am not going to be an NBA,Euro league player, whatever. I just want to reach my full potential. I made my fair share of mistakes, not taking this game I hold so dearly seriously. I pissed away opportunities that people wish they had.(Such as playing with an NBA player in HS) Here I am, 19, going to community college, out of shape, having a feeling that I could have been a great player. I could have played at least D-2 basketball(one of my ex teammates play D-2 and I was just as good, no, I was better than him) but for some reason, a lack of common sense and an overdose of arrogance got in the way.

Does could ever matter? No, but it lingers in the back of my mind. Ever time I see a game, the question what if I did not get kicked off the team pop into my head. Regrets litter my thoughts and drive me to just become a complete player, something I could be proud of. I blew my chance a long time ago, but putting the work in anyways numbs the pain of failure. Each shot I take gives me a breath of fresh air, I spend hours in the gym practicing just to keep my sanity. I know I couldn't live without basketball, but its always a slap in the face as well.

These last two and a half years have completely changed me. I am not the same person I was and now I understand how misfortune can really change people for the worst.

Every young player here, Maga, Levi, etc, dont make the same mistakes I did. Take the game seriously, listen to your coach, dont take years off. It will come back to haunt you. I was a team cancer, crying about PT and arguing with the coach because of the lack of PT for me. Its ironic that my favorite player is Allen Ezail Iverson huh?

It feels good posting this, its odd.

Dude, again... You and I are scary similar haha.

I never got kicked off my team. Everyone hated me because I'm sarcastic and joked around with everything, had long hair, I was cornered by coaches, and told to quit... But never did.

I'm in exactly the same boat as you, but I'm 21 now.

I had a sh*tload of raw talent, but never honed it, took it for granted, and got out of shape. I beat everyone I played with all the time.

Depression probably helped with my slide out of basketball too haha.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:31 AM   #8
phoenix18
4/27/91-7/23/09
 
phoenix18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: ATL
Posts: 15,669
phoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
Dude, again... You and I are scary similar haha.

I never got kicked off my team. Everyone hated me because I'm sarcastic and joked around with everything, had long hair, I was cornered by coaches, and told to quit... But never did.

I'm in exactly the same boat as you, but I'm 21 now.

I had a sh*tload of raw talent, but never honed it, took it for granted, and got out of shape. I beat everyone I played with all the time.

Depression probably helped with my slide out of basketball too haha.

I have been thinking of a way to respond to this for some time.(Yes, I am that slow)

The last part is the same for me as well. I know that basketball is in my blood. Whenever I am without it, my life is miserable. After I got kicked off the team, I became sick for long periods of time and my grades slipped. I had become a has been in the blink of an eye.

I have been working as much as I can since then, but food poisoning and some other too embarrassing to post twice things stopped me from working out and getting on the court.

My shot is getting better day by day. Its more consistent and I have much more confidence in it.

Not that everything inside is better, but as a player, I can handle my own. I just need to get in better shape and attack that rim.

The fear of failing now motivates me instead of paralyzes. The pain and exhaustion associated with exercise now energizes me. The shortcomings and stumbling blocks in life make me stronger. Looking over and seeing a Maserati(it has happened multiple times,same guy) makes me hungrier. All these things make me more focused instead of going deeper and deeper into depression.

This commercial perfectly demonstrates what I feeling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BirIEDYrw0Y

Sidenote: One of the greatest posts only gets 8 replies?!?!?
phoenix18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 04:03 AM   #9
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic
 
Swaggin916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 4,499
Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Potential.

Yea I think about becoming legendary... then I get picked or swatted and come back down to earth

In all honesty you just have to get every aspect of your game down to where it's natural. I'll play in the post or shoot 3's all day because it feels really natural. I'm not going to try and take too many people off the dribble in a game cus it feels awkward. My ball handling isn't always up to snuff and finishing at the rim through contact isn't something I'm used to. You get to the point where your like Kobe, and no situation can phase you, then you become legendary. Whether it's in the NBA or just at local park... it's something lol.

Tho who am I to talk... I am the ultimate culprit for fear of failure. You can either overcome that fear and then get better... or you overcome that fear by getting better. It's the difference between thinking you can own your defender and knowing you can.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:45 AM   #10
LebrickJames84'
High School Varsity 12th Man
 
LebrickJames84''s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 666
LebrickJames84' has decent reputation
Default Re: Potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix18
Potential-something that can develop or become actual

I just want to reach it. I know that I am not going to be an NBA,Euro league player, whatever. I just want to reach my full potential. I made my fair share of mistakes, not taking this game I hold so dearly seriously. I pissed away opportunities that people wish they had.(Such as playing with an NBA player in HS) Here I am, 19, going to community college, out of shape, having a feeling that I could have been a great player. I could have played at least D-2 basketball(one of my ex teammates play D-2 and I was just as good, no, I was better than him) but for some reason, a lack of common sense and an overdose of arrogance got in the way.

Does could ever matter? No, but it lingers in the back of my mind. Ever time I see a game, the question what if I did not get kicked off the team pop into my head. Regrets litter my thoughts and drive me to just become a complete player, something I could be proud of. I blew my chance a long time ago, but putting the work in anyways numbs the pain of failure. Each shot I take gives me a breath of fresh air, I spend hours in the gym practicing just to keep my sanity. I know I couldn't live without basketball, but its always a slap in the face as well.

These last two and a half years have completely changed me. I am not the same person I was and now I understand how misfortune can really change people for the worst.

Every young player here, Maga, Levi, etc, dont make the same mistakes I did. Take the game seriously, listen to your coach, dont take years off. It will come back to haunt you. I was a team cancer, crying about PT and arguing with the coach because of the lack of PT for me. Its ironic that my favorite player is Allen Ezail Iverson huh?

It feels good posting this, its odd.

does it get anymore worse than that.
LebrickJames84' is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:15 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy