Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 11-12-2009, 09:07 PM   #1
JG000
High School JV MVP

JG000 has an OK reputation so far
Default Tip for anyone who wants more range on their jumper

I can pretty much shoot the ball from anywhere on the court.

Literally.

I'm no star player, but I've never met anybody with more range on their jumpshot than me. With above average accuracy, I can shoot from walls, out of bounds areas, half court, NBA 3-point range... you name it.

Just the other night I made 3-5 from half court.

If you're wondering if I'm a big guy, I'm not. I'm scrawny, a generous 5'10" and honestly, I'm pretty weak (I couldn't bench press 100 lbs, that's for sure).

My secret?!?

Elevation.

When I jump to release my shot, I give myself a little surge of elevation (simply with a slight, outward bend in my knees).

I used to study Ray Allen's jumper as child (I'm an old school Bucks fan who's seen He Got Game atleast a 100 times) and the one thing I was able to mimic exactly is the extra kick he gives himself while in the air.

Also, this has nothing to do with your vertical leap. I actually have such a crappy vertical that I can barely touch the net.

The one part of my body with muscular definition is my calf muscles, and with the right motion in my legs I can even make 3-pointers without jumping.

So, my ISH community; I am passing my one basketball secret on to you.

Want infinite range? Work on the elevation in your jumpshot.
JG000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
LevisJeans
Underdog

LevisJeans is a pretty well-respected posterLevisJeans is a pretty well-respected posterLevisJeans is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Tip for anyone who wants more range on their jumper

That's only one of the aspects. You can't shoot a halfcourt shot with the same amount of strength as a 3 pointer. Your triceps also play a major role.

Also, even if you manage to shoot from half court, the odds of you making the basket are slim. I'm not challenging your shot or anything, but I find that the farther I am from the rim, the harder it is for me to aim. I can hit 8/10 mid range jumpshots under pressure. 3 pointers? Maybe 4/10 if I'm open. Don't get me wrong, I can shoot from the NBA 3, but then chances of me making it are slim to none.
LevisJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:51 PM   #3
JG000
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevisJeans
That's only one of the aspects. You can't shoot a halfcourt shot with the same amount of strength as a 3 pointer. Your triceps also play a major role.

Also, even if you manage to shoot from half court, the odds of you making the basket are slim. I'm not challenging your shot or anything, but I find that the farther I am from the rim, the harder it is for me to aim. I can hit 8/10 mid range jumpshots under pressure. 3 pointers? Maybe 4/10 if I'm open. Don't get me wrong, I can shoot from the NBA 3, but then chances of me making it are slim to none.

You're right, I have to adjust if I'm shooting from half-court. I definitely need to put more strength into my jumpshot to reach the basket, again though, it's mostly more lift in my knees. On a good shooting day, I can probably shoot 30%+ from half court. Went 3-for-5 the other night, and won a bet.

As far as triceps go, I'm not lying when I tell you I have trouble bench pressing the bar. I have zero upperbody strength. My range is all in my legs and the lift on my jumper.

I'm not a typical shooter though, I actually get more accurate the farther back I go. I can't even play on auxiliary courts, because I need to shoot from behind the arc to really find my groove. I feel most comfortable about 6 inches behind the 3-point line. If I'm on, I'll hit those all day.

I'll tell you this though, I'm a streaky shooter. Some days I'll shoot 0-20. But if I'm hot, I'll shoot 50%+, and long range shots are my bread and butter.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:08 PM   #4
Lancerballer21
Serious playground baller

Lancerballer21 has an OK reputation so far

I agree that elevation helps. Once in middle school my team had a three point shot competition just to see who was the best. I went 1 for 30. Then a couple weeks later we did it again but this time we only shot 5 and i focused on getting as high as i could on my jump and i went 3 for 5.

I just don't think that elevation is everything.
Lancerballer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:35 PM   #5
JG000
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerballer21
I agree that elevation helps. Once in middle school my team had a three point shot competition just to see who was the best. I went 1 for 30. Then a couple weeks later we did it again but this time we only shot 5 and i focused on getting as high as i could on my jump and i went 3 for 5.

I just don't think that elevation is everything.

You're right. It doesn't affect accuracy, but it increases shooting range. It will help you add distance to your release.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation

I think it's more of leg strength than elevation. There are some people that just jump out of the gym when they shoot but end up making it too strong or short.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:38 AM   #7
daboy31
I airball my layups

daboy31 has an OK reputation so far

I think that it's more about timing when you shoot. A lot of people say that you should release the ball at the height of your jump but I find that if you do that then it ends up being more arm strength then elevation. When I shoot I usually release the ball on my way up instead of at the tip so that way your leg strength affects your shot much more.
daboy31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:55 AM   #8
halffttime
shorty doowop

halffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation here

30%+ from half court .. i'm not a hater but i'm sure you can understand why i have my doubts.. and when you say you can shoot from ANYWHERE on the court? lol i'm not doubting you can hit rim from anywhere on the court, but what are the chances it's gonna go in.. the furthest i can go without my shooting form being bothered is probably 6-8 feet behind the three point line (college). real effort to put up the shot starts at around 4-6 feet out.

IMO
the key to being a good shooter is all about developing a form that you can use every single time from 3 feet out to 25 feet out without having to tweak your form. i also think that even though legs does play a big role powerwise, it isn't necessary. i don't use my legs that much when i'm shooting 3's and it doesn't really affect my shot. think nowitzki..
halffttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:38 PM   #9
JG000
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by halffttime
30%+ from half court .. i'm not a hater but i'm sure you can understand why i have my doubts.. and when you say you can shoot from ANYWHERE on the court? lol i'm not doubting you can hit rim from anywhere on the court, but what are the chances it's gonna go in.. the furthest i can go without my shooting form being bothered is probably 6-8 feet behind the three point line (college). real effort to put up the shot starts at around 4-6 feet out.

IMO
the key to being a good shooter is all about developing a form that you can use every single time from 3 feet out to 25 feet out without having to tweak your form. i also think that even though legs does play a big role powerwise, it isn't necessary. i don't use my legs that much when i'm shooting 3's and it doesn't really affect my shot. think nowitzki..

Hey man, we're on the same page.

From half court, I can usually go 3 for 10.... but it's also possible I go 0-10. I have my off days like everybody else and if I really shot the ball perfectly I'd be playing in Europe somewhere.

And you know, anywhere on the court is an exaggeration. The farthest I can legitimately go is maybe a 1-2 feet behind half court and beyond that I'm heaving up airballs like everybody else.

I just have above average accuracy, and impressive range. I'm not saying you can't do this other ways (Nowitizki is a great example), it's just that I can literally feel an extra kick in my legs that adds about 4+ ft to my range. Been working on it since 7th grade and it's the one thing I have down pat.

Most people can't comfortably shoot from as far back as I can (though I'm guessing you probably could) and people are always asking me how I shoot from the walls. Just thought I'd make an informative thread about it.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:55 PM   #10
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

JEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Yo guy? Whenever I'm around 40-60 feet back I just kock the ball behind my head and let it go like a slingshot. My aim is maintained but the shot is linear. I'm actually quite accurate from here as well haha.

I jump my highest when doing lay-ups and I also set shot 3's Man what a f*ckin noob I am.
JEFFERSON MONEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:23 AM   #11
davo ownz

Need help shooting - My jumper is really bad, falls short most of the time.

Any advice? Links? Tips on shooting form?

(I am 6'4 and 14 yers old) if it helps. I also play cenetr so I understand jumpers aren't what I should primarily be working on, but I need to work on them.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:03 AM   #12
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by davo ownz
Need help shooting - My jumper is really bad, falls short most of the time.

Any advice? Links? Tips on shooting form?

(I am 6'4 and 14 yers old) if it helps. I also play cenetr so I understand jumpers aren't what I should primarily be working on, but I need to work on them.

Damn. I hate being shorter than you by 7 inches and older than you by a year.

Anyway, try going to YouTube and searching "ShotScience". They have some pretty good videos and have really helped me.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 03:22 AM   #13
davo ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
Damn. I hate being shorter than you by 7 inches and older than you by a year.

Anyway, try going to YouTube and searching "ShotScience". They have some pretty good videos and have really helped me.

Thanks man, will do.

Sorry I get that alot
Old 11-14-2009, 10:50 AM   #14
Lancerballer21
Serious playground baller

Lancerballer21 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by davo ownz
Thanks man, will do.

Sorry I get that alot

Me too. I am 6'5" and 16 and im a foot taller than some of my sisters friends (sophmores in college) and they hate when im around unless i sit down
Lancerballer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:25 PM   #15
davo ownz

I am an inch shorter then you and two years younger.

I'll catch you
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: