Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 11-14-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default rebounding

I am actually really good on the boards. I have the desire to get after it. Anyone know good exercises or ways to improve my rebounding ability even more? Does the 'miss on purpose, rebound, miss on purpose, rebound etc' affect your shooting ability?
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation
Default Re: rebounding

Um well if you are missing on purpose then no I don't think it would effect it... better then just missing cus you suck lol.

Um well Rebounding is more about positioning than anything else. Having a good standing vert helps but you just need to box your guy out and there is no way he is getting it unless it's a long board or he goes over your back. Having good leg and core strength is most important for rebounds... as well as your will to get after it.

What I would do is have your friends shoot and then you telegraph where the ball is going to go based on the ball in the air. I can get a lot of offensive boards because I practice this when just shooting around playing change.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:42 AM   #3
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I am indeed trying to improve my vert and core strength, because I dont have leaping ability and do not have overpowering strength. I somehow nearly always know where the ball is going, that is why I already get most of the boards.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:15 AM   #4
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation

First thing to do, I guess, is to build rebounding IQ. Just to know where the ball will end up, like wherever a shot is taken the ball will most likely bounce to the other side, and other stuff like that. Well, for exercises, I don't really know. It's hard to practice rebounding when you're alone in a gym. The only thing I can really think of is just tossing it up off the board and making it go to the opposite side and then getting position to rebound.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:16 AM   #5
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

If you have the desire to go and get the ball, that's all you really need. Strength, height, positioning will all help, but if you have the desire to just go after the ball, you'll most likely get it.

I'm 6'4, so it's rare that I'm the tallest guy on the court. I'm also only about 13 stone, so it's also rare that I outweigh my matchup. I'm also not the strongest guy out there. But I'll be damned if I let someone out rebound me. I'm fighting for every single rebound. I want to make them mine.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:33 AM   #6
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

I have the same mentality, 6'2 and still growing, and I do not lack rebounding IQ. Thats what I am really good at. I would just like to improve even more.

Also going to watch some old games of great rebounders like Moses Malone and Dennis Rodman.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:27 AM   #7
HylianNightmare
Moe Harkless Bandwagon

HylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

get a good solide boxout and make them work for it, if i don't get a rebound, the guy that does just had to jumpover/around me and fight for it
HylianNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #8
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation

Well at least you guys have some height and probably length... I'm only 5'11 so I have really focus on out positioning my guy. Luckily I have a better standing vert (31") than most people so I can somewhat make up for my lack of height if I time my jumps right. That's another thing tho... timing is crucial. If your timing is off you are going to struggle.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:31 PM   #9
Bcogswell
Raptors > You.

Bcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Well at least you guys have some height and probably length... I'm only 5'11 so I have really focus on out positioning my guy. Luckily I have a better standing vert (31") than most people so I can somewhat make up for my lack of height if I time my jumps right. That's another thing tho... timing is crucial. If your timing is off you are going to struggle.

Sounds a lot like me except that I'm 5'7 so i really gotta get my timing perfect. All of that aside I probably average like 7 rebounds a game.
Bcogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:24 PM   #10
Automajic23
Playground Legend

Automajic23 is considered somewhat coolAutomajic23 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcogswell
Sounds a lot like me except that I'm 5'7 so i really gotta get my timing perfect. All of that aside I probably average like 7 rebounds a game.

That's a lot I usually don't avg more than 5 a game. We don't miss a lot though, and our focus is mainly on trapping and deflecting passes, so if the other team has weak handles they wont get up a lot of shots for us to rebound
Automajic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:47 PM   #11
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automajic23
That's a lot I usually don't avg more than 5 a game. We don't miss a lot though, and our focus is mainly on trapping and deflecting passes, so if the other team has weak handles they wont get up a lot of shots for us to rebound

See that's why I like playing in the post... cus of teams like yours lol. My handles are only decent so I like being down there where I'm not exposed as much and can pass out if a double happens to comes. I can usually post people up and score if they are as much as 3 inches taller (though it's more dependent on reach than height) and not too many people guarding me are going to be taller than that... my point is that being down there allows me to get more O boards which has in turn helped my defensive rebounding. Maybe it's the same with him... Maybe is down on the block a lot for whatever reason.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:51 AM   #12
Automajic23
Playground Legend

Automajic23 is considered somewhat coolAutomajic23 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
See that's why I like playing in the post... cus of teams like yours lol. My handles are only decent so I like being down there where I'm not exposed as much and can pass out if a double happens to comes. I can usually post people up and score if they are as much as 3 inches taller (though it's more dependent on reach than height) and not too many people guarding me are going to be taller than that... my point is that being down there allows me to get more O boards which has in turn helped my defensive rebounding. Maybe it's the same with him... Maybe is down on the block a lot for whatever reason.

Right, tall people are a problem for my teams. We generally play 1-3-1 or man and try to funnel the ball to either sideline, keeping it away from the middle. I usually play a wing in this D so I'm constantly trapping in the corners I'm never really by the hoop for a rebound unless for some reason, a player broke one of the traps. Tallest guy in our league though is 6'4? And I think our Centers are 6'2 n 6'1.
Automajic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:42 PM   #13
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Yea you have to slap those taller guys around otherwise they can kill you
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: