Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 11-29-2009, 08:03 PM   #1
sergiorodriguez

Default Alex Smith-no longer a bust?

In the olden days it took years and years before a QB was ready to start in the NFL. Alex Smith got playing time early played really bad, and got stuck on the bench for about 2 and a half seasons. Now though he has come in and is playing really well.

Is Alex Smith still a bust? How old is this guy? He can still become a top QB.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:35 PM   #2
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Alex Smith-no longer a bust?

He's not a bust. He's 25 years old and came in to the league when he was 21. He was extremely raw and started 11 games for a horrible 49er team. He had a awful season(1td, 11picks) He went through 5 offensive coordinators in 5 years, that's tough for a young QB like Smith. He also was injured these past 2 years ago. 2 years ago he played with a separated shoulder because of the idiot Mike Nolan was forcing him to play and he basically ****ed up. He's coming on to his own now.
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
UConnCeltics
Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles

UConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Basically echoing what knickballer said, they didn't have stability at the offensive coordinator and he was rushed in. He didn't exactly have the best weapons on offense either.
UConnCeltics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:01 PM   #4
One Love
Gunsmoke

One Love has a terrific reputationOne Love has a terrific reputationOne Love has a terrific reputationOne Love has a terrific reputationOne Love has a terrific reputationOne Love has a terrific reputation

I like him, good waiver wire pick up for fantasy replacing Big Ben.

He's not a bust.
One Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:31 PM   #5
craigthomasb
College star

craigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation here

im glad hes finally got over his injuries aswell, 49ers tried to rush him back and kept on making him worse, ive allways liked him, and i like the their future hopes, with smith, gore, crabtree and davis they got some nice yong pieces
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:22 AM   #6
Blzrfn
Decent playground baller

Blzrfn has an OK reputation so far

I don't think that he is a bust. In my opinion, he will never be like the #1 overall pick because he shouldn't have been taken in that position to begin with. The Niners should have traded out of that spot. Smith isn't the Elway or Manning-level QB that you take #1 overall.

That being said, I think that he is turning his career around nicely, and with better weapons around him, like Gore, Crab, and VD, he should go on to do well. I commend him for hanging in there and not quitting, and he is starting to see the results.
Blzrfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:31 AM   #7
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation here

Terrible offensive line, changing of offensive coordinators from year to year and his best WR has been Antonio Bryant (who they happen to let go off.) Needless to say, I don't think he is a bust. I jsut wished the Niners would utilizes his skillset more and go 3 WR's and play shotgun early in the game. They seem to play this sort of offense once they're down by a few TD's, and coincidentally, once they turn to this offensive scheme, Smith has put up great numbers.

In addition, I wish Frank Gore would pick his game up. Don't get me wrong he's having a pretty good year statistically but most of his stats come from big runs. Meaning he'll have one or 2 big runs a game and on his other carries he's invisible.

Niners should be a team to be legitimate team next year if they can sure up their offensive line. They have a top 5 TE in Vernon Davis and the best LB in the game with Patrick Willis. Frank Gore is a top 10 back in this league as well and Crabtree has been great considering the circumstances.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:52 PM   #8
1manfastbreak
just win

1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster

the 49ers have very good skill players. Vernon Davis is top 3 TE in the game. Crabtree is off the hook, Gore is a beast. Smith just came in when they were more garbage than they are now.

they still suck though.
1manfastbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 04:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBballer
Terrible offensive line, changing of offensive coordinators from year to year and his best WR has been Antonio Bryant (who they happen to let go off.) Needless to say, I don't think he is a bust. I jsut wished the Niners would utilizes his skillset more and go 3 WR's and play shotgun early in the game. They seem to play this sort of offense once they're down by a few TD's, and coincidentally, once they turn to this offensive scheme, Smith has put up great numbers.

In addition, I wish Frank Gore would pick his game up. Don't get me wrong he's having a pretty good year statistically but most of his stats come from big runs. Meaning he'll have one or 2 big runs a game and on his other carries he's invisible.

Niners should be a team to be legitimate team next year if they can sure up their offensive line. They have a top 5 TE in Vernon Davis and the best LB in the game with Patrick Willis. Frank Gore is a top 10 back in this league as well and Crabtree has been great considering the circumstances.

Gore has played well this season. If you watch the Niners (which sounds like you have watched some games, you're post is pretty accurate), you will notice that the line has been getting owned all season long on both rushing and passing downs. Teams are also stacking the box. Hopefully this spread offense the niners are starting to play will help the run game by moving safeties back. No one respected Shaun Hills ***** ass arm.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1manfastbreak
the 49ers have very good skill players. Vernon Davis is top 3 TE in the game. Crabtree is off the hook, Gore is a beast. Smith just came in when they were more garbage than they are now.

they still suck though.

They have an outside chance at the playoffs still. The Niners play the Seahawks next week. The Cardinals play the Vikings. If the Niners and Vikings get the W, the Niners are then one game back. The week after they play the Cardinals on MNF at home. If the Niners win they are 1st place in the NFC West because they would have the tiebreaker.

A few things have to happen but I think it's possible. If they can become more consistent and spread it out I think we have a good chance. Most of the Niners losses have been by 3-4 points.

I think if we draft a good lineman and Safety (Eric Berry) in next years draft we can be a GOOD team. We have 2 first round picks.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:17 PM   #11
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33824
Gore has played well this season. If you watch the Niners (which sounds like you have watched some games, you're post is pretty accurate), you will notice that the line has been getting owned all season long on both rushing and passing downs. Teams are also stacking the box. Hopefully this spread offense the niners are starting to play will help the run game by moving safeties back. No one respected Shaun Hills ***** ass arm.

Shaun "Noddle arm" Hill.
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:32 AM   #12
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

Shaun Hill isn't the QB now.

But I do agree the Niners do not take enough shots downfield. One thing the Niners had when Gore ran for over 1600+ yards was a legitimate down field threat in Antonio Bryant.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBballer
Shaun Hill isn't the QB now.

But I do agree the Niners do not take enough shots downfield. One thing the Niners had when Gore ran for over 1600+ yards was a legitimate down field threat in Antonio Bryant.

That's why I said no one respected Shaun Hill. Past tense. He has a ***** ass arm. Now that Alex is in there and the offense is spreading it out I think it will help open up the run game again.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:04 PM   #14
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

Quote:
That's why I said no one respected Shaun Hill. Past tense. He has a ***** ass arm. Now that Alex is in there and the offense is spreading it out I think it will help open up the run game again.

Smith doesn't have a cannon of an arm either and Gore has been averaging 74 yards/4.6 avg since Smith was named the starter. Bleh type of numbers.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:40 PM   #15
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The jury is still out. A lot of young QBs, like Smith, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Mark Sanchez, etc. are getting labeled "bust" or "next Namath" way too early. Already Sanchez has been anointed as the Saviour and then called garbage in just half of his rookie season. Meanwhile, how long did it take for guys like Steve Young and Brett Favre to establish themselves? Patience is officially dead, and we're all dumber for it.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: