Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 12-03-2009, 07:07 AM   #1
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation
Default Can anyone guesstimate my Vert?

Well, I'm 5'9 and I'm maybe an inch or two from tapping on regulation rim using a standing/running two-footed gather. On a running one foot gather, I have maybe 4-5 inches to go.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
Zak

Zak has a terrific reputationZak has a terrific reputationZak has a terrific reputationZak has a terrific reputationZak has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Can anyone guesstimate my Vert?

It's hard to estimate without knowing your reach, if you put your hand up on your wall and just make a slight mark and then measure it, you could almost exactly tell what your vert is by subtracting it from your max touch.
Zak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:04 PM   #3
LevisJeans
Underdog

LevisJeans is a pretty well-respected posterLevisJeans is a pretty well-respected posterLevisJeans is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
Well, I'm 5'9 and I'm maybe an inch or two from tapping on regulation rim using a standing/running two-footed gather. On a running one foot gather, I have maybe 4-5 inches to go.

I just measured mine. I'm also 5'9" and I am also an inch - 3 inches away from the rim. My reach is 7'6" (Don't ask, I have a 6'2" wingspan.) and I measured my vertical leap to be 24". To measure your vert, measure your reach, subtract your reach from mine, and add that many inches to 24".
LevisJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:36 PM   #4
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation

most people's reach at 5'9 is going to be right around 7'5 or so... If you are black probably 7'7-7'8. either way your vert is going to be right around 30.

Like the others have said tho, just measure your reach and then it's easy.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:36 AM   #5
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
most people's reach at 5'9 is going to be right around 7'5 or so... If you are black probably 7'7-7'8. either way your vert is going to be right around 30.

Like the others have said tho, just measure your reach and then it's easy.

Definitely not black. Asian (Filipino).

Wait, doing the math, so I'm 69 inches, my arm is 25 inches, 69 plus 25 is 94, divided by 12... my reach is 7 feet and 10 inches? So my vert is 23"? Thanks, LevisJ.

Oh, I also forgot. Anyone know how much I need to be able to actually dunk? The ball is 9 inches in diameter right? Does that mean I need 9+ inches?

Last edited by NotYetGreat : 12-05-2009 at 12:53 AM.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:00 AM   #6
Zak

Zak has a terrific reputationZak has a terrific reputationZak has a terrific reputationZak has a terrific reputationZak has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Definitely not black. Asian (Filipino).

Wait, doing the math, so I'm 69 inches, my arm is 25 inches, 69 plus 25 is 94, divided by 12... my reach is 7 feet and 10 inches? So my vert is 23"? Thanks, LevisJ.

Oh, I also forgot. Anyone know how much I need to be able to actually dunk? The ball is 9 inches in diameter right? Does that mean I need 9+ inches?
you measured your arm to add to your height? just stand up to a wall and mark up the highest point you can touch, no addition needed just mark that.
also, a 7'10 reach is pretty good, i'm 6'2.5 and i have a 8'2-8'3 reach and i have some pretty lanky arms. and in terms of amount needed above rim to dunk, it varies from person to person, but i would say if you want a comfortable dunk you would need a good 9-11 inches over from the tip of your middle finger.
Zak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:05 AM   #7
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak
you measured your arm to add to your height? just stand up to a wall and mark up the highest point you can touch, no addition needed just mark that.
also, a 7'10 reach is pretty good, i'm 6'2.5 and i have a 8'2-8'3 reach and i have some pretty lanky arms. and in terms of amount needed above rim to dunk, it varies from person to person, but i would say if you want a comfortable dunk you would need a good 9-11 inches over from the tip of your middle finger.

Alright. Now I have a goal. Thanks, man.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:36 AM   #8
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak

You do have lanky arms. My friend is 6'2 and his reach is 7'10. I have another friend who 6'0 and had a reach of 8'0 tho... you are along the lines of that guy haha. You lanky guys drive me crazy... It's like racing someone in a 40 who has a 5-10 yard headstart when going up for layups and rebounds.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:42 AM   #9
halffttime
shorty doowop

halffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation here

notyetgreat, where you from? are you from the philippines or in the states? if you're from the philippines, how's the competition level there? i'm going there next christmas, i'm hoping to beast on everyone.. i'm 5'10, i'm guessing everyone else would be around 5'6 in general..
halffttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:57 AM   #10
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by halffttime
notyetgreat, where you from? are you from the philippines or in the states? if you're from the philippines, how's the competition level there? i'm going there next christmas, i'm hoping to beast on everyone.. i'm 5'10, i'm guessing everyone else would be around 5'6 in general..

Well, we're the same height, so you'll probably be one of the biggest guys here. Depends where you go to, though. The squatter dudes are kinda extremes. It's either they suck balls and are completely incapable of even dribbling, or they're too good for their own good (or at least they make it seem so). If you go to the private villages, well it also depends. There are some fundamental guys, and then there are also extremely good players who can do everything. By next Christmas, do you mean this coming one (which is the next) or next Christmas as in next year?
Old 12-07-2009, 05:22 AM   #11
halffttime
shorty doowop

halffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Well, we're the same height, so you'll probably be one of the biggest guys here. Depends where you go to, though. The squatter dudes are kinda extremes. It's either they suck balls and are completely incapable of even dribbling, or they're too good for their own good (or at least they make it seem so). If you go to the private villages, well it also depends. There are some fundamental guys, and then there are also extremely good players who can do everything. By next Christmas, do you mean this coming one (which is the next) or next Christmas as in next year?
next year. i'll probably be staying quezon city manila where i used to live and then go on vacation in mindoro for a week or something. i haven't been back since i left when i was seven. it's definitely gonna be an emotional moment for me lol. i been tryna picture my old neighbourhood and stuff. it's crazy how i can remember it so well..
Old 12-07-2009, 07:25 AM   #12
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Quote:
next year. i'll probably be staying quezon city manila where i used to live and then go on vacation in mindoro for a week or something. i haven't been back since i left when i was seven. it's definitely gonna be an emotional moment for me lol. i been tryna picture my old neighbourhood and stuff. it's crazy how i can remember it so well..

Wait... You're Filipino?
Old 12-07-2009, 06:59 PM   #13
halffttime
shorty doowop

Quote:
Wait... You're Filipino?
what you think i was?
Old 12-08-2009, 06:31 AM   #14
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Quote:
what you think i was?

Canadian.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:47 PM   #15
halffttime
shorty doowop

Quote:
Canadian.

lol well i am a canadian citizen.. so that too
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: