Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 12-04-2009, 12:48 AM   #1
halffttime
shorty doowop

Default ****in eh man

seen this dude today on the varsity team, fukcing sick. black dude, my height, literally just coasts through from one end to the other for a layup. crazy hops and dunking with ease. had control of the situation at ALL times. it really put things in perspective for me. i've always considered myself as a decent player, but when you see guys out there playing nba-like, it really does put you down. a lot of dudes on ish like to brag, exaggerate, and boost their game.. but i'm man enough to admit, i'm a fukcing scrub compared to this guy.. and that coming from a guy who actually used to think he could ball.

topic of discussion: you ain't sh!t until you can truly say you can hang with the best of them.
halffttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:00 AM   #2
phoenix18
4/27/91-7/23/09

Default Re: ****in eh man

I like seeing people like that. It makes me work harder. Run faster. Focus.

Whenever I am playing someone easy, I play terrible basketball. When I respect and admire someone's game, I am going full throttle.
phoenix18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:00 AM   #3
dab0yech0
3 Ball like Piatkowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix18
I like seeing people like that. It makes me work harder. Run faster. Focus.

Whenever I am playing someone easy, I play terrible basketball. When I respect and admire someone's game, I am going full throttle.

Same here. In the summer when I had Rico Tucker and Ruben Boykin on my squad, I was playing some of the most intense defense I ever did because I knew I didnt have to score because I had two former D1 college guys on my team and I knew I had to step up my game to get their respect.
dab0yech0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:35 AM   #4
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

When I see people like that, I get pretty down myself. It then only makes me want to go to the court more to be better and learn how to shut that guy down.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:45 PM   #5
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

I see people like the guy you mentioned and I just think good for them because I know I am not making it to the NBA so no reason to get down about it. I think I have a good post game and can shoot the 3... but some people just have what it takes and some don't so you have to appreciate the naturals. It just makes me want to work harder tho and do the best I can. It's all I can do. It may not be that great but it's the best my body can do.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:02 AM   #6
halffttime
shorty doowop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
I see people like the guy you mentioned and I just think good for them because I know I am not making it to the NBA so no reason to get down about it. I think I have a good post game and can shoot the 3... but some people just have what it takes and some don't so you have to appreciate the naturals. It just makes me want to work harder tho and do the best I can. It's all I can do. It may not be that great but it's the best my body can do.

yea.. i knew i wasn't making the nba even when i was a kid, dreamed about it tho lol. i'm an idiot.. i should have worked on my game still when i was younger. it would have been sick to be one of those guys you see on the court amazing everyone. i never put in work and never tried to be great at the game. instead doing dribbling, shooting, footwork, etc. drills, i was fooling around playing horse on the court. when i played games, i would just spot up for my shots and wouild rarely take the ball to the hole myself. i made myself into a role player when i should have been trying to become the facilitator. the only way i've ever gotten better in basketball is through pick up games at the park and the schoolyard. sure i could play with the guys at the park, cross a few guys here and there, hit open shots.. but when it comes to actually playing with the REAL ballers, i'm a wnba player among nba players..

i'm now determined to improve on my game. something i've never been..
halffttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:21 AM   #7
cruthikai352
I airball my layups

I'm that guy.
cruthikai352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 03:54 AM   #8
Zak

Well i play in arguably the best basketball district in texas
(23- 5A right here)
I practice with varsity right now, I'm a sophmore and the whole varsity are juniors, except for a couple seniors so i think i have a spot on it next year, but the point of this story is that now i'm practicing with some great players (DJ amosu, an under 16 all star in maryland till he moved here, and a few other players being scouted from D1 schools), but last year i was on a freshman b team, not even getting playing time. granted i moved to the school in the middle of the year, and it used to make me soo mad sitting on the bench, watching a game, and i started going to a ymca and playing kids who started for the runner up 5-a state champs (dulles hs), and at first i would get dominated and clowned on both offense and defense, but i kept on it, going back every day, and the bottom line is you gotta play up to your competition, it's the only way to get better.
Zak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:58 AM   #9
Lancerballer21
Serious playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by halffttime
yea.. i knew i wasn't making the nba even when i was a kid, dreamed about it tho lol. i'm an idiot.. i should have worked on my game still when i was younger. it would have been sick to be one of those guys you see on the court amazing everyone. i never put in work and never tried to be great at the game. instead doing dribbling, shooting, footwork, etc. drills, i was fooling around playing horse on the court. when i played games, i would just spot up for my shots and wouild rarely take the ball to the hole myself. i made myself into a role player when i should have been trying to become the facilitator. the only way i've ever gotten better in basketball is through pick up games at the park and the schoolyard. sure i could play with the guys at the park, cross a few guys here and there, hit open shots.. but when it comes to actually playing with the REAL ballers, i'm a wnba player among nba players..

I know exactly how you feel wishing that you could have worked on your game when you were younger. If i could go back in time and change one thing in my life it would be that i was as determined then as i am now. But hey thats never gonna happen so you just gotta make the best of what you got left in your life.
Lancerballer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:54 PM   #10
Automajic23
Playground Legend

Quote:
seen this dude today on the varsity team, fukcing sick. black dude, my height, literally just coasts through from one end to the other for a layup. crazy hops and dunking with ease. had control of the situation at ALL times. it really put things in perspective for me. i've always considered myself as a decent player, but when you see guys out there playing nba-like, it really does put you down. a lot of dudes on ish like to brag, exaggerate, and boost their game.. but i'm man enough to admit, i'm a fukcing scrub compared to this guy.. and that coming from a guy who actually used to think he could ball.

topic of discussion: you ain't sh!t until you can truly say you can hang with the best of them.

You're right. I played king of the hill (1on1on1) with Drexel varsity PG that I play with regularly (he doesn't start but he's sick) and we play the 3 dribble rule (3 dribbles then you must shoot). I could not get anywhere on him. He was about 6'1, only an inch taller but his skills were >>>. In a game to 16, I scored maybe 8. 2-3 of those pts he laid off, and the other 5 were the hardest fadeaways, up and unders, step backs I ever took. Everything he did was easy. This made me realize where my game was at and how much work it needs.

My friends that I play with all seem to have a good bball background. I'm probably the worst guy fundamentally on my team. My PG played HS ball and never touched starting 5, but he's sick. He said the same thing about meeting your match; he got to ball and get his ass handed to him by tyreke evans. Our forward played HS ball and AAU ball at a pretty high level, and he just trashes every team we play. Now that I think about it, every starter on my league team completely owns almost all pick up games we play in. We're all around 5'10-6'1 too so we're not dominating with size, just straight up owning with skills. I'm probably the worst out of my friends, given that I'm the only one with no HS ball/AAU background
Automajic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:21 AM   #11
Splitz77
Good High School Starter

Im good. Definatly not NBA status or anything, but i can ball. I mean, im one of the best players in my leauge. Which isnt saying much, seeing as i goto a 1b school.. but it makes it easy.. :P

I could be averging 20+ points a game, but my coach hates me. and wont start me, and gives me limited playing time.

Im a take over kind of player, i can put the whole game on my back and embaress a team and he doesnt like that. Id figure when we were down by 25 that he would put me in. But nope he waited till the last 3 minutes to put me in..and oh..imagine that..we lost by 12..

sorry off topic..just venting..
Splitz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:33 AM   #12
dab0yech0
3 Ball like Piatkowski

Quote:

Just play with the top ballers, dont be intimidated to hoop with them. Day by day you will start earning their respect.
dab0yech0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:44 PM   #13
LebrickJames84'
High School Varsity 12th Man

Quote:

why aren't you playing ball for the varsity team.
LebrickJames84' is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: