Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 01-03-2010, 10:32 PM   #1
Underballer
Decent playground baller

Underballer is starting to rub some people the wrong wayUnderballer is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default My Vertical

Im a bit above 5 foot 8 and if the highest i can reach when i jump is the backboard alittle bit above the padding. Is this good?
Underballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:57 PM   #2
LebrickJames84'
High School Varsity 12th Man

LebrickJames84' has decent reputation
Default Re: My Vertical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underballer
Im a bit above 5 foot 8 and if the highest i can reach when i jump is the backboard alittle bit above the padding. Is this good?

depends how old you are really. Your looking at anywhere from a 25-30 inch vertical.
LebrickJames84' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:57 PM   #3
Kumo
ISH Jump Crew

Kumo is considered somewhat coolKumo is considered somewhat coolKumo is considered somewhat cool

Not really. If you want to improve though just ask, or look through this section... tons of good information.
Kumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:02 AM   #4
Underballer
Decent playground baller

Underballer is starting to rub some people the wrong wayUnderballer is starting to rub some people the wrong way

im in gr.10
Old 01-04-2010, 12:08 AM   #5
Underballer
Decent playground baller

I can just touch above the grey part on the bottom of the backboard
Old 01-04-2010, 01:42 AM   #6
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation

Quote:

I can just touch above the grey part on the bottom of the backboard

Almost the same with me, except I can reach just a bit higher and I have an inch on you. Your vert is probably around 23-24 inches right now. I read somewhere that the average for guys my age (15) is actually 17, but these are for regular guys. Not necessarily athletes. However, if you're around 13 or 14 years old, then that's pretty good.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:04 AM   #7
LebrickJames84'
High School Varsity 12th Man

LebrickJames84' has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
Almost the same with me, except I can reach just a bit higher and I have an inch on you. Your vert is probably around 23-24 inches right now. I read somewhere that the average for guys my age (15) is actually 17, but these are for regular guys. Not necessarily athletes. However, if you're around 13 or 14 years old, then that's pretty good.

could be a rim with a lower backboard.
LebrickJames84' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:08 AM   #8
Splitz77
Good High School Starter

Splitz77 has decent reputation

Not really. My sophmore year i could touch the bottom of the rim. Now that im a senior, I can get about a good 5-6 inches above the rim..Just keep workin at it..you'll get a good vert sooner or later..
Splitz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:31 AM   #9
liljohnnywall
The Messiah

liljohnnywall has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitz77
Not really. My sophmore year i could touch the bottom of the rim. Now that im a senior, I can get about a good 5-6 inches above the rim..Just keep workin at it..you'll get a good vert sooner or later..

can you dunk?
liljohnnywall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:51 AM   #10
halffttime
shorty doowop

halffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation here

haha sounds EXACTLY like me back in 9/10th grade. i was like around 5'8 too @ 195-200lbs lol..
halffttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:51 AM   #11
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebrickJames84'

could be a rim with a lower backboard.

Could be. From the pic, though, it seems pretty much like what I based mine on.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:23 PM   #12
Underballer
Decent playground baller

I'm about 5 foot 8, 110 pounds. I've never noticed that im not as athletic as others until this year cause people shorter than me can already touch rim.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:48 PM   #13
Automajic23
Playground Legend

Automajic23 is considered somewhat coolAutomajic23 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
I'm about 5 foot 8, 110 pounds. I've never noticed that im not as athletic as others until this year cause people shorter than me can already touch rim.

5'8 and touching glass is still a relatively good vertical, if the backboard has a high cutoff. (some backboards extend almost a foot below the rim)
Automajic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:50 PM   #14
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Is it good? No... is it terrible? No. It's pretty average. As with everyone, it depends on your reach. If your reach stinks then you could be jumping high but not getting high on the rim because your reach is short.

but yea those guys with 17 inch verts are the guys who sit at home and play video games or guitar all day... they don't do anything to stimulate their muscles so there verts are terrible. Average running vert for a High School athlete is probably around 30 or so... standing probably like 26-27. A good athlete will be 35 or higher so shoot for that and hope you get higher.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:34 AM   #15
Automajic23
Playground Legend

Automajic23 is considered somewhat coolAutomajic23 is considered somewhat cool

it is important to practice your jumping and work on your vert. Focusing too much on the numbers and your exact vert wont matter if you cant take off from any angles.

I find a lot of times I never get up as high in games because I'll rarely get the perfect pass or my steps to taking off will be altered by the defense. Don't worry about how high you can jump on paper, but keep working on it. Quick jumps are important in game play as well as getting up as high as you can from any angle.
Automajic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: