Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 02-12-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
JerzeyBlaze
BBall gets u cut

JerzeyBlaze is considered somewhat coolJerzeyBlaze is considered somewhat cool
Default need ball handling advice

i see alot of you guys are young bucks tryna get to the NBA thats wassup

For me its a little too late for that, but i am in a Men's adult league right now, i play for fun and to keep in shape. Basically im the shortest dude on my team. Im 6'0 and everyone else is way over 6 foot. When i used to play in high school i played Small Forward, basically im running the point for my team now but need some advice on getting my left handles better. Im not used to being the playmaker, but i have to adjust somehow. My right is strong, my left is OK but needs work, any advice? (drills, things i can do to get my left on par wit my right)

thanks
JerzeyBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:36 PM   #2
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board
Default Re: need ball handling advice

Well one of them has got to be just dribbling with your left. If you are a point guard, you have to be able to dibble anywhere on the court and with either hand. There are so many dribbling drills out there tho I am not going to claim I know which ones are the best, but I would practice drills based on the way you see PG's play. The thing I see most of them do is spinning... ya know that little spin coming up the court or moving around the court switching hands and creating space for themselves. I would find a chair and practice spinning from right to left and vice versa... and everytime you do run up the court dribbling solely with the hand you spun to. Ball speed is key too. The faster you can dribble, the harder it is for someone to knock it away and the quicker you can pick it up... so practice dribbling faster. You will probably lose control a lot at first, but eventually it will become more fluid and regular dribbling will be much easier.

I hope this makes some sense and helps.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
Samurai Swoosh
Root Of All Evil

Samurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected poster

Do what I did ... dribble with a tennis ball. It's difficult but once you master that, dribbling a basketball will be nothing. Once I get healthy, I will post a video of me demonstrating.
Samurai Swoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:52 PM   #4
phoenix18
4/27/91-7/23/09

phoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
Do what I did ... dribble with a tennis ball. It's difficult but once you master that, dribbling a basketball will be nothing. Once I get healthy, I will post a video of me demonstrating.
Melo does that.

I do the pistol pete, I just dribble the ball everywhere. I used to do the Marbury and sleep with it.
phoenix18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:04 PM   #5
Samurai Swoosh
Root Of All Evil

Samurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix18
Melo does that.

I do the pistol pete, I just dribble the ball everywhere. I used to do the Marbury and sleep with it.
Pete's dad used to drive the car, and he'd dribble out the passenger window.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
Horde of Temujin
Operat.Northwoods=9/11

Horde of Temujin has decent reputation

Steve Nash grew up with a tennis ball in his hands at all times practicing
Horde of Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:31 PM   #7
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

I need to try that tennis ball thing... I dribble with a small ball in my house and it has really helped my ball handling (got me a little fisher price hoop that I still use haha) so I bet the tennis ball thing would help it even more.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:35 AM   #8
Samurai Swoosh
Root Of All Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
I need to try that tennis ball thing... I dribble with a small ball in my house and it has really helped my ball handling (got me a little fisher price hoop that I still use haha) so I bet the tennis ball thing would help it even more.
Tennis Ball works around the house. It's not as loud or potentially as destructive as dribbling a real ball around the house (my mom used to smack me when I dribbled in the house) ... so thats a plus, and then of course the fact that its a tennis ball will make it easier come time to dribble a real rock on the court.

Also, even more difficult than a tennis ball, is if you dribble a golf ball. But I only suggest doing that if you're outside.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:13 AM   #9
Lancerballer21
Serious playground baller

Lancerballer21 has an OK reputation so far

Just a quick question about the tennis ball.

Can you still dribble it on carpet or do u recommend just on like hardwood or tile?
Lancerballer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:38 AM   #10
phoenix18
4/27/91-7/23/09

phoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
Pete's dad used to drive the car, and he'd dribble out the passenger window.
That's where Pete and I go our seperate ways.

I could not do that at any point of my life.
phoenix18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:18 PM   #11
JerzeyBlaze
BBall gets u cut

JerzeyBlaze is considered somewhat coolJerzeyBlaze is considered somewhat cool

cool , thanks for the suggestions!
JerzeyBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #12
Samurai Swoosh
Root Of All Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerballer21
Just a quick question about the tennis ball.

Can you still dribble it on carpet or do u recommend just on like hardwood or tile?
You can do it on anything ... just takes practice.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:47 PM   #13
lilojmayo
#lovethat32

lilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyBlaze
i see alot of you guys are young bucks tryna get to the NBA thats wassup

For me its a little too late for that, but i am in a Men's adult league right now, i play for fun and to keep in shape. Basically im the shortest dude on my team. Im 6'0 and everyone else is way over 6 foot. When i used to play in high school i played Small Forward, basically im running the point for my team now but need some advice on getting my left handles better. Im not used to being the playmaker, but i have to adjust somehow. My right is strong, my left is OK but needs work, any advice? (drills, things i can do to get my left on par wit my right)

thanks

I don't feel like reposting it over and over so look in the shootaround thread. and read what i told LeBronAirJames.

The tennis ball thing, works for a lot of ppl, but I wasn't one of them. I needed the actually ball in my hand to get better. Do a lot of pounding the ball hard, when you practicing dribble at various heights, and cross overs back and forth slowy doesn't have to be fast.

When growing up, when it came to dribble i was told keep it simple. Then you'll improve to wear you can do see nice combos.
lilojmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:14 PM   #14
newkid19901992
Can barely lace up my sneakers

newkid19901992 has an OK reputation so far

First, if I were you I would sit and study hot sauce, lol. But seriously if you wanna learn from the best, he is the best ball handler hands down.

Check these out for great places to find handling tips that I've looked at:

http://www.squidoo.com/streetballworld
http://www.streetball.com
http://www.youtube.com

youtube is amazing for anything you want to know or see, lol.
newkid19901992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:57 PM   #15
jazz873
College star

jazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputation

try to start using your left hand more when doing every day things.
jazz873 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: