Houston Rockets (1-2) at Memphis Grizzlies (1-2): November 7, 2006 at 7:00 p.m. (CST)
- Houston leads the all-time series over Memphis, 28-16, including a 17-5 edge over the Grizzlies at home. The Rockets are 11-11 on the road against the Grizzlies, but are 2-8 since the team's relocation to Memphis. The Grizzlies swept the season series last year (4-0).
- Series Notes: Memphis took all four games over Houston in 2005-06, marking the first time the Grizzlies have swept the Rockets in a season series ... Memphis' best season record against Houston was 3-1 on two previous occasions (2001-02, 2003-04) ... the Grizzlies took an 86-81 decision over the Rockets at Memphis (11/25/05) in the first game of 2005-06 ... Memphis then came out red hot against Houston by shooting .684 (13-19 FG, 6-6 3FG) from the field in the first quarter and never looked back in a 90-75 win in the second meeting vs. Memphis (12/3/05) ... in the third game, the Grizzlies spoiled the return of Yao Ming to the Rockets lineup with an 86-77 win over Houston at Memphis (1/30/06) ... after letting a first-half lead slip away, the Grizzlies took back control of the game in the third quarter en route to a 93-81 win over the Rockets vs. Memphis (4/15/06).
- Connections: On July 12, 2006, Houston acquired Shane Battier from the Memphis Grizzlies in exchange for Stromile Swift and the draft rights to Rudy Gay ... Battier finished his career with the Grizzlies ranked first in franchise history in steals (507), third in blocks (418), fourth in points (4,160) and fifth in rebounds (1,908) ... Swift, who played last season with the Rockets, was drafted by Vancouver in the first round (second overall) of the 2000 NBA Draft and played his first five seasons with the Grizzlies ... Rockets guard/forward Bonzi Wells averaged 11.3 points, 3.3 rebounds and 1.4 assists in 128 games with the Grizzlies ... Memphis forward Lawrence Roberts was born in Houston and attended Lamar High School ... Lionel Hollins, an assistant coach with the Grizzlies, played one season (1984-85) with the Rockets.
- Houston had its first outing of two players in double-figure rebounding in the same game at New Orleans/Oklahoma City (11/5/06), as Chuck Hayes (10) and Yao Ming (10) both reached the mark. The Rockets boasted two players in double-figure rebounding in the same game nine times in 2005-06.
- The Rockets outrebounded the Hornets, 51-35, at New Orleans/Oklahoma City (11/5/06), which marked the first time this season Houston has outrebounded its opponent by a double-digit margin. The Rockets accomplished this feat 11 times in 2005-06.
- The Hornets outscored the Rockets, 19-0, off fast-break points at New Orleans/Oklahoma City (11/5/06). Houston was shut out on the break only twice last season.
- The Rockets recorded no blocked shots at New Orleans/Oklahoma City (11/5/06), marking the first time this season and the 40th time overall in team history.
- Yao Ming registered 17 points and 10 rebounds at New Orleans/Oklahoma City (11/5/06), marking his first double-double of the season. He had a career-high 34 double-doubles in 2005-06.
- Tracy McGrady has already posted five or more assists in two of three games this season. In 2005-06, he reached at least five assists in 25 of his 47 games.
- Shane Battier matched his career high with five 3-pointers at New Orleans/Oklahoma City (11/5/06). He had accomplished this twice before, with the most recent being at Seattle (12/31/05). Battier also set his career best with 11 3-point attempts against the Hornets. His previous high was 10 at Minnesota (11/2/01).
Nice info on the Rockets, insidehoops. Houston should be able to take this one with Gasol out. I noticed Stro Swift has been out but not sure if hes out for this game. The McGrady/Gay matchup should be interesting and hopefully T-Mac can start finding his shot tonight. So far hes been great at looking for his teammates and is actually driving to the hole a lot more this year. Only problem is his shot has been off in these past games.
I don't think it will be easy. Memphis is still a scrappy bunch.
Fatboy, the real problem is we don't yet really know how to yet gage where our team is at with intensity. It sucks how we can beat dallas then barely show up for new orleans. I got reason to believe though, we gotta win this one easily, book it!
Defense is bad today, we are not feeding Yao. I like how Tracy is attacking the basket, he needs to stop attempting those jumpshots until he gets used to getting to the strike and develop a hot hand. As for Snyder, he's playing like crap. Yao must get more touches in order to pull a win. Jones is killing us hes 4-5. Miller 0-2, 0 points . Overall, both teams are playing poorly IMO.