Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 03-28-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
koBEDABEST
Banned

koBEDABEST is a pretty well-respected posterkoBEDABEST is a pretty well-respected posterkoBEDABEST is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Trainning plan

Im 16, I just restarted playing basketball and I want to make it to the highest level possible. I procured myself the better basketball videos and watched the start of shooting one for my form and started watching the ballhandling one today.

For the moment when I go the court all I do is the mikan drill, then form shooting, 3 tier around the world, shoot jumpshots and then play around. I dont really know what to do.

I want to practice all parts of my game. I can dedicate 1-2 hours everyday during weekdays and unlimited time during weekends. I know theres some pretty good basketball players here and id like you to help me get a plan.

If ud like to know, right now I got a decent jumpshot and handles and im pretty fast and agile around the rim. I think my force is driving to the rim.

Thanks in advance.

edit: im around 6'1 btw.
koBEDABEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:54 PM   #2
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Trainning plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by koBEDABEST
Im 16, I just restarted playing basketball and I want to make it to the highest level possible. I procured myself the better basketball videos and watched the start of shooting one for my form and started watching the ballhandling one today.

For the moment when I go the court all I do is the mikan drill, then form shooting, 3 tier around the world, shoot jumpshots and then play around. I dont really know what to do.

I want to practice all parts of my game. I can dedicate 1-2 hours everyday during weekdays and unlimited time during weekends. I know theres some pretty good basketball players here and id like you to help me get a plan.

If ud like to know, right now I got a decent jumpshot and handles and im pretty fast and agile around the rim. I think my force is driving to the rim.

Thanks in advance.

edit: im around 6'1 btw.

I like how you're willing to dedicate time and effort to try and get to the highest level you can. To do this, you'll need extreme athletic ability as well as skills. I would hit the weight room and build up bulk without sacrificing speed, and work on explosiveness. Then for skills, I'd work to improve 4 basic skills I see: shooting, passing, handles and defense.

You have a decent jumpshot, so I'd work to get it to excellent. To do this, work on shooting within your range and don't deviate to long range shots unless you can maintain proper form. If you start changing your form, it'll be hard to correct it.

Decent handles: you can improve these. You said you're a slasher, so I'd work on protecting the ball from your personal defender as well as the help defenders. Practice driving with both hands, protecting the ball and finishing.

Defense: you'll have to increase foot speed and anticipation. I don't really think you can teach defense. To me, you have to want to guard your man. Drills won't do anything unless you really want to shut your man down. Practice defending against the best players in your area. Play 1 on 1, but give them the ball every time. Most people would agree to do this (defense is very underrated) and you'll improve greatly.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:44 AM   #3
koBEDABEST
Banned

koBEDABEST is a pretty well-respected posterkoBEDABEST is a pretty well-respected posterkoBEDABEST is a pretty well-respected poster

Thanks, I can see a plan forming with this. I think im going to watch all the better basketball vids and do a bit of each every day. How does that feel?
Old 03-29-2010, 12:29 PM   #4
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation

I haven't played ball on any sort of organized team for years (so take my advice for what it's worth), but I would dedicate about 2 hours 5 days a week doing drills and hitting the weight room. I'd spend about 75 minutes on drills and 45 minutes in the weight room. I'd do 10 minutes of warmups (Mikan Drill, shooting around, etc.), 15 minutes of shooting, 15 minutes of slashing/layup drills, 15 minutes of ball handling, 10 minutes of footwork, and then end with 10 minutes of shooting (always good to practice shooting when you are tired). After that, I'd head to the weight room and get in 45 minutes of solid lifting with a routine something like this:

Monday: Chest
Tuesday: Back
Wednesday: Shoulders/traps
Thursday: Arms (Bis and Tris)
Friday: Legs (explosive lifting and plyos)
Saturday/Sunday: Your legs will be sore so just some light stuff to get the blood flowing so the muscles can recover better... so maybe just some shoot around mess around games.

Like Carpevicis said, you want to be not only the best skilled player you can be, but also the best athlete. At 6'1, in order to play at the highest level, you are going to need to be either the most skilled player on the floor (by far), best athlete, or combination of both... So you need to take skill drills and lifting equally serious. Now, you can take what you will from my skill training advice, but in terms of making you a better athlete, I know how to do that so listen to what I'm saying. In order to be an explosive athlete, you need to lift heavy ass weight, do explosive plyometrics, and be hardcore about it. Squats and Deadlifts should be your staples (Along with Depth Jumps, Broad Jumps, 20 yard sprints and and Pro-Agility drill) with other lifts such as power cleans, step ups, hamstring curls, and single calve raises complimenting those. As an athlete, having a strong lower body is way more important that having a strong upper body so by God if you can only get yourself to work your ass off in the gym for one day then let be lower body.

I can give you more detailed routines if you wish... there are also a ton of routines that I have posted in other threads on here so feel free to check em out.

BTW if you are the slashing type, protecting the ball should be a big focus when doing layup drills. At 6'1 you won't have to worry too much about people slapping the ball away, but being able to get your shot over or around your defenders. I like the broom drill where you have a friend use a broom to contest your shots... if you can beat the broom then you are on your way lol.

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 03-29-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Swaggin916 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:04 PM   #5
lilojmayo
#lovethat32

lilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by koBEDABEST
Thanks, I can see a plan forming with this. I think im going to watch all the better basketball vids and do a bit of each every day. How does that feel?

First of everything Swaggin said about the weight room is dead on. Me personally I have always been a one day upper one day lower guy when dealing with weights. but Swaggin knows what he is talking about. Are you still growing? You 16 I know ppl who stopped growing when they were 13, and ppl who grow a little even when they are 22 or something. 6'1 at 16.

Let's start of with the better basketball videos. I have watched them all but the Free Throw one and Passing one. they are great videos that make you look at different things out on the court. Me personally, i think the scoring without the ball helped my offensive game the most. Made me look at new things that we take forgranted on the court like running the wings hard, and getting a good angle when you make your cut on the wing, having your hand always ready to receive the ball even though you might not expect it ( if you have a flashy passerr on your team). Moving without the ball like falling to the deep corners etc.

The 1-1 offense probably feels like you learn the most, it really helps in the triple threat game and emphasis getting low almost feel like squatting with the ball to really explode and have a first step like prime allen iverson blow by you feeling.

The shooting video is also a great video. i even used the old coin( like a dime) inbetween your thumb and pointer finger on your off hand. When i am doing any shooting drill at the beginning when i practtice. It makes make you emphasis the control of flight and shooting straight more.
Those were the 3 videos that i liked the most.

The ones I didnt like were the post play video it was way too basic.
The ball handling video wasnt really good either, all the move you probably would have already seen or know before. They did come up with some clever ball handling drills to improve actually ball handling.

, i'll give you some things that you should think about incoparating when you practice next time i check out the streetball section

Last edited by lilojmayo : 03-29-2010 at 05:51 PM.
lilojmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:58 PM   #6
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
I haven't played ball on any sort of organized team for years (so take my advice for what it's worth), but I would dedicate about 2 hours 5 days a week doing drills and hitting the weight room. I'd spend about 75 minutes on drills and 45 minutes in the weight room. I'd do 10 minutes of warmups (Mikan Drill, shooting around, etc.), 15 minutes of shooting, 15 minutes of slashing/layup drills, 15 minutes of ball handling, 10 minutes of footwork, and then end with 10 minutes of shooting (always good to practice shooting when you are tired). After that, I'd head to the weight room and get in 45 minutes of solid lifting with a routine something like this:

Monday: Chest
Tuesday: Back
Wednesday: Shoulders/traps
Thursday: Arms (Bis and Tris)
Friday: Legs (explosive lifting and plyos)
Saturday/Sunday: Your legs will be sore so just some light stuff to get the blood flowing so the muscles can recover better... so maybe just some shoot around mess around games.

Like Carpevicis said, you want to be not only the best skilled player you can be, but also the best athlete. At 6'1, in order to play at the highest level, you are going to need to be either the most skilled player on the floor (by far), best athlete, or combination of both... So you need to take skill drills and lifting equally serious. Now, you can take what you will from my skill training advice, but in terms of making you a better athlete, I know how to do that so listen to what I'm saying. In order to be an explosive athlete, you need to lift heavy ass weight, do explosive plyometrics, and be hardcore about it. Squats and Deadlifts should be your staples (Along with Depth Jumps, Broad Jumps, 20 yard sprints and and Pro-Agility drill) with other lifts such as power cleans, step ups, hamstring curls, and single calve raises complimenting those. As an athlete, having a strong lower body is way more important that having a strong upper body so by God if you can only get yourself to work your ass off in the gym for one day then let be lower body.

I can give you more detailed routines if you wish... there are also a ton of routines that I have posted in other threads on here so feel free to check em out.

BTW if you are the slashing type, protecting the ball should be a big focus when doing layup drills. At 6'1 you won't have to worry too much about people slapping the ball away, but being able to get your shot over or around your defenders. I like the broom drill where you have a friend use a broom to contest your shots... if you can beat the broom then you are on your way lol.

Well put. Remember to lift very heavily for only a couple reps. 6 at most, 8 if you want to bulk up a little bit. I personally don't do the isolation exercises like hamstring curls because exercises like the squat are far more efficient, but each exercise is useful in it's own right. Just one thing: for me, I wouldn't recommend doing calf raises. I used to do them all the time, and all I got were huge calves that didn't really help me jump higher. So it was added weight without much function. I did get quicker, but I'm not sure if it was because of the calf raises.

Also, does the broom drill really work? I'd like to try it but I'm worried I'd start chucking the ball up there cause I'm not strong enough to shoot with such a high arc
Old 03-29-2010, 03:57 PM   #7
koBEDABEST
Banned

Thanks to everyone for the awesome help.

Swaggin the thing is i dont have access to a gym right now(and if do get one, itll only be for like 1-2 days at most). So do you have some exercises i could do at home or at the park idk?
Old 03-29-2010, 04:11 PM   #8
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

I know this was addressed to Swaggin, but some at home drills you can do are body weight exercises, core work and stretching. Do plyometric push ups to build upper/entire body explosiveness. These are pushups except you push your body and throw yourself in the air, like when people do pushups with claps between them. You don't have to do claps, but just do these for 3 sets of 10 reps or so.

Do ab/back workouts. Most people do ab workouts but don't do back work. You have to keep both sides balanced!

Finally, stretch to improve your flexibility. Just some light stretching for around 15 minutes a night should be fine.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:31 PM   #9
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation

Listen to OJ about the skills training... Like I know with the weights, he knows with the skills.

Quote:
I know this was addressed to Swaggin, but some at home drills you can do are body weight exercises, core work and stretching. Do plyometric push ups to build upper/entire body explosiveness. These are pushups except you push your body and throw yourself in the air, like when people do pushups with claps between them. You don't have to do claps, but just do these for 3 sets of 10 reps or so.

Do ab/back workouts. Most people do ab workouts but don't do back work. You have to keep both sides balanced!

Finally, stretch to improve your flexibility. Just some light stretching for around 15 minutes a night should be fine.

Yes be sure you address all sides of your core. I like doing a 4X4X4 a couple times a week. So 4 sets hitting the front, 4 hitting the sides (Obliques), and 4 for the lower back. Hyper extensions are the best back exercise you can do IMO, I like hanging leg raises and weighted crunches for abs, and side bends with weights for obliques. There are plenty of other things you can do but those are good staples. If you don't have any weights... then just do what you can. You need to get access to a gym though... have one of your parents drive you and if money is an issue then find someone who you can work for a few hours a month to pay for a membership. If you want to be the best, you need to have access to weights... There is just no way around it. I'm not going to waste my time and your time by giving you exercises you can do without weights. There are some good ones... Plyo pushups was mentioned by carpevicis and those are fantastic, but it's only one exercise. You are so limited when you don't have access to a gym... and limiting yourself is the path to failure.

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 03-29-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:53 PM   #10
lilojmayo
#lovethat32

lilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
Well put. Remember to lift very heavily for only a couple reps. 6 at most, 8 if you want to bulk up a little bit. I personally don't do the isolation exercises like hamstring curls because exercises like the squat are far more efficient, but each exercise is useful in it's own right. Just one thing: for me, I wouldn't recommend doing calf raises. I used to do them all the time, and all I got were huge calves that didn't really help me jump higher. So it was added weight without much function. I did get quicker, but I'm not sure if it was because of the calf raises.

Also, does the broom drill really work? I'd like to try it but I'm worried I'd start chucking the ball up there cause I'm not strong enough to shoot with such a high arc

First i have been taught that anytime your legs are getting stronger it is a good thing. Me i do calf raisers all the time . I do calf raisers for strength which are when i have a heavy dumbbells. Then later on when i am doing the plyometric part of the work out, i'll do it just body weight and fast. I think it helps more on the ground speed a lot more then leaping though, but it still helps leaping.
lilojmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:28 PM   #11
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilojmayo
First i have been taught that anytime your legs are getting stronger it is a good thing. Me i do calf raisers all the time . I do calf raisers for strength which are when i have a heavy dumbbells. Then later on when i am doing the plyometric part of the work out, i'll do it just body weight and fast. I think it helps more on the ground speed a lot more then leaping though, but it still helps leaping.

I don't know, maybe it was just me, but I didn't get any results from the calf raises. For me, there's two reasons why I don't do them. The first is that the calf isn't really used in jumping. Most people think it is, but it's more the hamstrings and glutes. Second, it's an isolation exercise. If you really wanted to work out the calves, there are other compound exercises that can work the calves, like deadlift and squats. Just my opinion though.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:09 PM   #12
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
I don't know, maybe it was just me, but I didn't get any results from the calf raises. For me, there's two reasons why I don't do them. The first is that the calf isn't really used in jumping. Most people think it is, but it's more the hamstrings and glutes. Second, it's an isolation exercise. If you really wanted to work out the calves, there are other compound exercises that can work the calves, like deadlift and squats. Just my opinion though.

And a very valid and sensible one at that. I had to ingrain in my friend's brain that calve raises do next to nothing for your vertical. He kept telling me "Yea but I can feel it working and I swear it helps with jumping!" I'm like God dammit man why the hell would I lie to you!? Of course it won't hurt to train them... I mean they aren't used much when it comes to vert but they are a little so why not train them? Also, they give your calves nice definition too which is nice.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:09 PM   #13
Jxgator33
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Jxgator33 has an OK reputation so far

Just an idea, but I'd recommend spending a lot of time making Ball Handling a specialty. It's amazing what kind of difference it makes once you start spending 30-45 minutes a day doing dribbling drills and moves. If you want any details on what kind of drills, feel free to ask.
Jxgator33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:32 PM   #14
Maize'N'Blue
Super Yooper

Maize'N'Blue has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
And a very valid and sensible one at that. I had to ingrain in my friend's brain that calve raises do next to nothing for your vertical. He kept telling me "Yea but I can feel it working and I swear it helps with jumping!" I'm like God dammit man why the hell would I lie to you!? Of course it won't hurt to train them... I mean they aren't used much when it comes to vert but they are a little so why not train them? Also, they give your calves nice definition too which is nice.

Calf raises would still help your overall leg strength and speed/quickness, correct?
If so, training your calves would help you become a better player. As awesome as it would be to throw down, I still think quickness is more important to being a good basketball player.
Maize'N'Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:30 PM   #15
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maize'N'Blue
Calf raises would still help your overall leg strength and speed/quickness, correct?
If so, training your calves would help you become a better player. As awesome as it would be to throw down, I still think quickness is more important to being a good basketball player.

They'd raise your calf strength which would then raise your overall leg strength, but as an isolation exercise it would take longer and therefore be more inefficient to do them, when total lower body exercises will get more done. Calves 't really used for jumping or quickness. I'm pretty sure those two start at the core, then the energy travels down the leg, using the calf to transfer energy to the ground. So it would be better if you spent more time working on core exercises and full leg exercises than just an isolation calf raise.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: