Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Old 04-08-2010, 01:18 PM   #1
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default 2010-11 Coaching Options

Considering Eddie Jordan is more than likely gone. It's sad that a guy who hadn't coached in years, Tony DiLeo, was able to come in and do better with this team on the fly than a guy who had a whole training camp with the team. His players have lost confidence in him (ironically it's Dalembert and Brand, the same players we've lost confidence in if it was ever there), he speaks nothing but good things about his team in the post game conference no matter how awful they do which pisses me off, he has the worst substitution patterns and lineups, and this offensive "genius" wasn't even able to put in the one thing he's known for...the Princeton offense.

Time to start talking about potential coaching options, here's a list I made. If you can think of others go ahead and post them.

Byron Scott
Jeff Van Gundy
Avery Johnson
Doug Collins
Tom Thibodeau (Boston assistant)
Mike Budenholzer (SA assistant)
Dwayne Casey
Chris Ford
Sam Mitchell
Lawrence Frank
Paul Silas
Mike Dunleavy

Those aren't all guys that I'm interested, just the "free agents" of coaching.

Last edited by Posterize246 : 04-09-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
artificial
:-P

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: 2011 Coaching Options

Eddie Jordan wasn't everyone's favorite option for this season, but we all tried to put our hope in him... And that turned out in an ugly mess.

Nice list you post. I think Avery Johnson has said he has no interest in coming to Philly, although I like him a lot. Going by recent success, I'd be very interested in Byron Scott and Lawrence Frank, while Thibodeau remains very high in the wish list.

JVG is one of my favorite coaches ever, and I love him as an analyst. Still, for some reason I don't see him fitting in this team... Not so sure why. Doug Collins, I've never liked him.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:03 PM   #3
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I don't think it was that Avery didn't want to come here, but it was said he didn't want to be a part of a coaching search. He wanted to be the only guy wanted by a team. And I feel the same way about JVG as you do. He's a half court basketball kind of guy which doesn't fit in with the players we have, not that we should keep the guys we have or anything, but then why would he come here not knowing what he's getting into?

Byron Scott, Thibodeau, Avery are my favorites on that list. I think there's something in Collins' coaching history that says he's not right for the job. Only 4/8 seasons were above .500...and how do you coach Michael Jordan for 5 seasons and only make the playoffs 2 of them? I don't care how young or old he was, he's Michael frickin Jordan.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:18 PM   #4
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

thanks for sharing this with the nets section, postie. i did reply there, but here's some relevant comments for this section:

re: sixers coaching search,
i don't know what to think about them anymore. the dalembert and brand contracts are killers for building a roster. at least iggy produces pretty consistently despite his being the third member of the triumvirate of awful contracts. but where is the young talent? young and speights are about all there is, no? and they don't seem to have made much noise this season (blame it on jordan?) meanwhile i've never thought that l-williams was a true PG, and i don't know if even PJ, pop or sloan could get very much out of these guys. afer all, jordan may not be a great coach, and his style may not fit the roster, but he's certainly not a bad coach IMO.

re: johnson,
AJ's voice really irritates me and he has the tendency to stubbornly back himself into a corner when dealing with people, but i gotta admit, he has the fire and the right approach to effort and defense. i'm sure we could do worse for a head coach (either the sixers or nets).
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:19 AM   #5
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

starting the two threads and then not commenting on my brilliant contributions, mister posterizer?
Old 04-11-2010, 10:40 PM   #6
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
thanks for sharing this with the nets section, postie. i did reply there, but here's some relevant comments for this section:

re: sixers coaching search,
i don't know what to think about them anymore. the dalembert and brand contracts are killers for building a roster. at least iggy produces pretty consistently despite his being the third member of the triumvirate of awful contracts. but where is the young talent? young and speights are about all there is, no? and they don't seem to have made much noise this season (blame it on jordan?) meanwhile i've never thought that l-williams was a true PG, and i don't know if even PJ, pop or sloan could get very much out of these guys. afer all, jordan may not be a great coach, and his style may not fit the roster, but he's certainly not a bad coach IMO.

re: johnson,
AJ's voice really irritates me and he has the tendency to stubbornly back himself into a corner when dealing with people, but i gotta admit, he has the fire and the right approach to effort and defense. i'm sure we could do worse for a head coach (either the sixers or nets).

Dalembert is finally a contract expirer. Hoooray! He does block shots and grab rebounds but he doesnt do it at a level that impacts team defense which would make him a viable DPOY candidate. And his offensive game is dependant on ally oop, put back buckets. Not sure why I typed this, guess its my way of convincing myself getting rid of him wouldnt be a bad idea dispite the hole at Center. But would you trade him given he could clear cap space for 2011? Hmmm

I agree, I dont think Eddie is a bad coach. His system missed one thing he tried to elude too. A PG. He said it didnt require one and lied. You cant run the Princeton offense without one. Thats why Jrue Holiday is our starter and not Lou who isnt a PG. And I like him as a 6th man, in the mold of a Jason Terry who can come in and light it up. Sixers didnt overpay for Lou. Well imo $5mil per isnt bad. But yeah the personnel here didnt fit what his offense intended to do imo. They tried to make it work and it didnt which is why they scraped it entirely. EJ hasnt been critical of the GMs decisions which is why I dont think he ever admitted they could use some different pieces when asked "Do you think the Sixers have the right guys to run your system?". I bet when he is fired he may open up his true feelings or keep it to himself being as tho he is cool with Ed Stefanski.

But EJ isnt the right coach for this team.

Young talent? Thad Young, Speights, Lou Williams, Jrue Holiday and Jodie Meeks. Sixers may need to decide what to do with the SF position. Thaddeus Young or Andre Iguodala. Its reached that point where someone has to go.

As far as HC I'm unsure.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:31 PM   #7
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Though I wouldn't count on it, it's worth posting...

Quote:
Here's this bit from Ken Berger of CBSSports.com: "While it has been widely assumed that only one Eddie would be out in Philadelphia after the season – Jordan, not Stefanski – there is one complicating factor that could change that. And his name is Larry Brown. While the Bobcats coach feels a sense of loyalty to fellow Tarheel and new owner Michael Jordan, there are strong indications that Jordan won’t stand in Brown’s way if he wants to seek another job with complete control over basketball operations. Though some speculation has centered on Brown going to the Clippers, that’s not happening, sources say. The most likely scenario is the Sixers due to Brown’s family ties with the city."
Old 04-13-2010, 05:06 PM   #8
Abraham Lincoln
Decent college freshman

Abraham Lincoln is considered somewhat coolAbraham Lincoln is considered somewhat cool

If so, would LB seek full control or merely come back as the head coach?
Abraham Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:55 PM   #9
Abraham Lincoln
Decent college freshman

Abraham Lincoln is considered somewhat coolAbraham Lincoln is considered somewhat cool

I guess not.

http://blogs.charlotte.com/inside_th...charlotte.html

Dileo perhaps, as it is very doubtful the team will give up big bucks for a big name coach while still paying EJ.
Abraham Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:27 AM   #10
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
If so, would LB seek full control or merely come back as the head coach?
lebron lejames is eager to jump to the sixers, obviously!

no, seriously... i agree with most of what gobb says- that player is a clueless a-hole. still hasn't won an award yet, despite threatening year after year after year.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:48 AM   #11
ZzAzZ
Can barely lace up my sneakers

ZzAzZ has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Young talent? Thad Young, Speights, Lou Williams, Jrue Holiday and Jodie Meeks. Sixers may need to decide what to do with the SF position. Thaddeus Young or Andre Iguodala. Its reached that point where someone has to go.

As far as HC I'm unsure.

I don't know what anyone see's in Young, Williams, and Speights as far as starter quality which is why I don't agree with making a decision between Young and Iguodala. Iguodala is definite starter quality and Young is definite role-player-off-the-bench quality.

As for a coach I'm still hoping for the long shot of Eric Snow coming back to Philly and coaching.
ZzAzZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:59 AM   #12
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

First call made to Doug Collins;

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...ns__agent.html
Old 04-29-2010, 11:31 AM   #13
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

and now we've contacted Avery;

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...ng_search.html
Old 04-30-2010, 11:09 AM   #14
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Meeting with Avery Johnson on Monday! It's also been reported (by Howard Eskin, take it how you will) that it was Johnson's camp who contacted the Sixers about the position.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:54 AM   #15
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Man i hope we land Avery.
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: